Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Christmas Smedley

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Pentatonic Bells

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dec 5, 2015 at 2:14 AM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
The Christmas ORG Contest
It's time for another ORG contest, and of course since it's that time of year again....

Let's see who can make the best Christmas ORG! The winner will have the option to have their profile picture, personal sprite, and/or music showcased during the ending credits of A Christmas Story, my upcoming Christmas mod, and will be crowned Music King/Queen of Christmas.

Considering the nature of the contest, transcriptions are allowed. Original work is encouraged but may prove difficult.

Time to put your own spin on some Christmas classics!

Rules:
  1. All entries must be submitted using ORGmaker.
  2. All entries must use Cave Story compatible drums.
  3. Your entry may be an original work, remix of Cave Story music, or a transcription of any song.

Participants:
@Random-storykeeper - No Bells No Glory
@Jazz Jackalope - Rock of Ages
@Hate9 - Still Still Still
@Safusaka - Snowy Flakes
@2DBro - Christmas Smedley
@Shade of a Wave - Pentatonic Bells

Entries are due by January 1st and a winner will be chosen by January 5th.

NOTE:

Extension on original due date based on request from participants.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2015 at 7:00 PM
"Huzzah!"
Count Basie me in too, It'd be a shame to not get in one more ORG song before Krampus comes to eat my face.

Dec 9, 2015 at 4:41 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Oh wow, I'm actually totally equipped to do this one.

Is there a limit on how many songs we can submit?

Dec 9, 2015 at 9:23 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
i think ill join in on this.

Dec 9, 2015 at 9:47 PM
Oh wow, I'm actually totally equipped to do this one.

Is there a limit on how many songs we can submit?

Last time there was a bit of debate on how many could be submitted. I'd say you can submit a maximum of one for now.

Dec 15, 2015 at 3:14 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Ugh, I just couldn't decide between Deck the Halls and Rock of Ages. Eventually I chose the latter, because it has more of an original element.

Dec 15, 2015 at 6:03 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Ugh, I just couldn't decide between Deck the Halls and Rock of Ages. Eventually I chose the latter, because it has more of an original element.

Ooh interesting. There's a lot of clashing notes, but your instrument choice and the snappiness of the notes makes the music not grating on the ears. I like how track 2 gets soft around the lower notes, and how the voices move in parallel, much like a disjointed choral piece. Also I am not familiar with this song at all, but I looked it up and it sounds very nice. So thanks for introducing me to a new holiday song! :)

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2015 at 4:21 PM
squidward
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
So wait, I guess I should actually work on something for this because there's 4 days left... right...

Dec 16, 2015 at 7:33 PM
Welp time to submit my entry.

No Bells No Glory (recording)

I think this is my first time doing a mashup in 3/4. :/

I'm already giving this my vote. IDC what other people send in.

When Spear of Justice's melody came in I smiled. This is very good, thank you for making this.

Dec 16, 2015 at 11:26 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
So wait, I guess I should actually work on something for this because there's 4 days left... right...
I fucking died when Spear of Justice came in. It just fits so well as a Christmas song and with Carol of the Bells.

Dec 17, 2015 at 11:43 PM
"Huzzah!"
tmw you haven't even started your own song and there's only 3 days left :balrog:

No Bells No Glory was pretty epic! I haven't listened to Jackalope's rock of ages yet, I think the linked file is somehow copyable into orgyana, I don't really know how to do that (if anyone is willing to show me how, that'd be pretty swell. :mahin:)

Dec 20, 2015 at 8:56 PM
Everyone has through until noon EST tomorrow to get their entries in, since I won't be back from my friends' house before then anyway.

Dec 21, 2015 at 3:23 AM
Mrs. Policewoman
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Still Still Still
It's a straight-up transcription, but I felt obligated to submit something.

Dec 21, 2015 at 9:54 PM
Geez, I've had a long day today. Sorry I didn't put up the poll earlier, shit happened.

Dec 22, 2015 at 12:50 AM
Wow only three entries this time. Do you want me to make a video compilation for this one?

Eh. Don't bother, I'm not sure how many people are actually going to vote or anything who can't just take the time to download the entries. This will probably be the last contest for a while by the way, the low turnout was thoroughly disappointing.

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:27 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
This will probably be the last contest for a while by the way, the low turnout was thoroughly disappointing.

I almost thought I wouldn't be able to submit an ORG in time. The timing for this one in particular wasn't the greatest; it was smack in exams period + end of uni wrapup. Additionally, the timeframe for this was considerably shorter - your previous contest gave users almost a month to get their entries in. The one before that's submission period lasted 23 days. For this contest, we were only given 16 days. That's not exactly a lot of time, combined with some people getting super busy closer to the holiday season.

Anyways, I think it is the timing that has something to do with the lower turnout of entries. Some users I know, were in the process of creating ORGs, but didn't have enough time to complete their submissions. That's not a fault of anyone, though it would have been nice if the contest had been opened a bit earlier.

But yeah, perhaps there should be a bit of a longer gap between contests; two months is cutting it close. Maybe consider quarterly contests, much like that mod awards thing that ran a while back.

I still worked on some orgs though I didn't get around to finishing any... Oh well.
jingle all the way
Singing Mountain (Chrono Trigger)
Jangle Bells (Donkey Kong Country 3)

Jingle Bells sounds really nice; I love that juicy bass. The second half of the ORG had interesting chords and trills. The arrangement of the actual jingle bells song sounded really wintery, which was great. I also really liked what you had for "Jangle Bells".

Last edited: