Cavewiki

Sep 2, 2009 at 7:32 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
wat? i didn't know I could delete pages. I thought that was an admin thingy.
and tl;dr normally means, too long; DIDN'T READ. so that's what i was basingmy response off of.

as to mods, yes, they keep cs alive, they're awesome, I love mods and hacks, but I do not believe that stuff like this should exist on the cs wiki.

deux cents de moi. (not that I actually speak french...)
oh, hi dooey. that is indeed correct. even according to lowell, who made the mod copy list thingy.

Sep 2, 2009 at 7:39 PM
Vanished.
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
dooey100 said:
If you had actually read it you would know that it was copy/pasted directly from DT's topic. Its far from "just the order"

That's what I said?
It's under construction.
And show me a state where THAT LIST counts as something you can copyright.
Since the things he listed aren't his work.
Besides that:
Why are you start mocking me?
Did I create that Article? No.
It's a Wiki you know...
Everyone can do that.

And I wasn't about to take DT's "copyrights" (which don't exist).. but when you start saying something like "or I will take it down"... that counts as an personal attack.
A nice PM / Email / w/e would have been enough to let me take action...
But I won't play it that way.

So it stays up. for now.
Till things are cleared.

(Also Lace you can't delete something... I meant I would do it.
NOW GO.
GET IRC OR SOMETHING.
I'll cooperate with you.
I want a CS Article D:<)

You always make me look like an asshole... but you could try it on the nice way you know?

Sep 2, 2009 at 8:23 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Read up on copyright law sometime, yes that list can be copyrighted. Depending on where DT lives he either A) already has copyright. B) can get copyright simply by putting "all rights reserved" somewhere in that list or C) can get copyright the same way as in B but cannot sue for damages until he registers it.

Schokobecher said:
Its under construction

Thats no excuse. If I took someone elses mod or images and released them as mine, but said they were "under construction" would that be OK? (yes this is exactly what has been done)

Sep 2, 2009 at 8:39 PM
Vanished.
I won't discuss it with you.
Cause your arguments lack sense.
You are not even involved in that.
I stated my point crystal clear.
Done.

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:56 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Eh oh...

Well this doesn't look good...
DoubleThink said:
k

I seem to remember a discussion somewhere about not-putting mods up anywhere because they don't actually have anything to do with Cave Story in any canonical respect, and also because we kind of don't want to advertise them as being legitimate last time I checked. I also seem to NOT remember being told my own guide was going to be nicked for this purpose - my incomplete and pretty cruddy guide, no less - so I'm wondering when I actually agreed to this. I created the guide specifically for this site, in order to provide references for the colossal mess that is the Mods section and to stop people from constantly bumping threads wondering why Jenka's Nightmare isn't complete for the 50th time.
Eh, I'm sorry. I was sorta thinking of this as a favor to you.
I really liked your guide, as cruddy as you think it was, and I thought I could transfer it to the Wiki for you, to make things easier... {As in, you just had to worry about updating it, instead of redoing it for the Wiki}

I also wasn't apparently around when those conversations happened, so I missed that...
DoubleThink said:
Thus, I am somewhat peeved that my stuff got nicked without a second thought by the folks who go on about "always asking first", but mostly peeved because I think the idea is dumb in the first place and I want to have nothing to do with it. Having a single page on modding and the CS modding community would be far more sensible and effective (...and interesting), with maybe a link to the mods section/mod guide - that I could agree too. Heck, I'll do it myself if you want, since I'm one of maybe like 2 or 3 people who have kept a constant eye on the mods section since its inception (yeah I know it started early 2006, but it was a lot smaller then and I caught up on everything pretty quickly). The current setup isn't a good idea, it looks lazy, and it will result in a heap of redundant pages for every little mod that nobody outside of the site will care about. My guide was not designed or even remotely intended for use in such a capacity. If you really must have a section for all the mods then you can make it yourself... Lowell :D
The original page was just that, your list with all the links, but some people thought it'd be nicer in the currently-being-worked-on format... {Just to remind you, it's not completely done yet.}
And again, this was done to be helpful to you, not because the Wiki needed the page....

DoubleThink said:
I don't know whose idea it was in the first place,
Mine, >.>;
DoubleThink said:
but as per usual it looks like I've been dragged into something I wanted to avoid -_-; I'm not having an argument start over this. If you (whoever) don't want to take it down then I'll do it myself. PM me if you (whoever) think I'm being unfair or something, I'll be more than happy to address any issues you have.
Well, if you think it should be tore down, go ahead.
I'm sorry for the inconvenience....

dooey100 said:
If you had actually read it you would know that it was copy/pasted directly from DT's topic. Its far from "just the order"
Yeah, it's basically a copy and paste.
I tried to include credit to DT, but it got removed...

Sep 3, 2009 at 7:02 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
@ Schoko: I'm not much annoyed because of copyright/the fact that my stuff was taken, I'm annoyed because it was taken to create something that shouldn't have been made in the first place and will reflect badly on those who maintain the Wiki (i.e. you). The guide was meant to be used only for this site, and now I have to backpedal and clean up someone else's mess. I said this all in the last post, it's not my fault if you didn't understand it, I can't be any clearer about it without sounding downright patronising.

Also:
Please note that all contributions to Cavewiki are considered to be released under the Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported (see Cavewiki:Copyrights for details). If you do not want your writing to be edited mercilessly and redistributed at will, then do not submit it here.
You are also promising us that you wrote this yourself, or copied it from a public domain or similar free resource. Do not submit copyrighted work without permission!
This is from your own wiki edit page. It shouldn't have happened, regardless of how much I actually care.

VoidMage_Lowell said:
I did it for yoooouuuu
Well don't just assume things like that jesus christ :mad: I don't see how having to sift through and fix up every page in a Wiki could possibly be easier than just updating a post, and, once again, mods are not canonical/barely 'legal' and shouldn't be advertised around like that. Please don't go on about it anymore, I'm not really angry, I just don't want this to turn into a continuing problem because this site is terrible at dealing with them.

It looks like I can't actually delete articles, just wipe them clean. Only a Wiki admin/whoever can do that, and there are like 20 of them sitting around. Eergh... I think I've made it pretty clear what should be done with them.

I'll start the "proper" article when the Wrath of Waffleirons is done (Saturday for me). I have buttload of stuff due on Monday though so not much will get done until after that.

Sep 3, 2009 at 12:32 PM
Vanished.
It looks like I can't actually delete articles, just wipe them clean. Only a Wiki admin/whoever can do that, and there are like 20 of them sitting around. Eergh... I think I've made it pretty clear what should be done with them.
What?
There are only ONE Wikiadmin.
Me.
(besidedes SP but that's a diffrent thing)

But why is it so hard pmign me?
Or leave something at the wiki?

You still didn't answer that.

Sep 3, 2009 at 1:09 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I meant there are ~20 errant articles, not 20 admins. And this:
Schokobecher said:
A nice PM / Email / w/e would have been enough to let me take action...
But I won't play it that way.
Doesn't exactly make it clear. I haven't really kept up with this project, and it said Lowell was in charge of maintaining the mods section, so I wasn't sure where to talk about it.

Whatever, I've explained why I want the articles Lowell nicked deleted. There's nothing more I would say in PM that I haven't already explained. Also I do not enjoy talking to people privately :<

Sep 3, 2009 at 9:26 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Idk that words like "brother" and "sister" really apply to robots, I mean perhaps you can infer that they were built by the same person/team, but it's a stretch...

Sep 3, 2009 at 9:45 PM
Vanished.
that's why I took it in quotes... but maybe "Partner" would fit better?
I dunno :/
I'll try on Balrog next... maybe.
Or Squid.. cause you know -> No content :p
I'm afraid of Jenka / Ballos and the main Cave Story article which is still non-existant.
:(

Sep 4, 2009 at 1:52 PM
graters gonna grate
Yup I like partner better.

Sep 6, 2009 at 4:03 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I don't think we have a template for characters/NPC's, I think that would probably be useful.
Kinda like...

|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
|_______caption______|
|~~~~~~Age~~~~~~|
|~~Minor/Major char ~~|
| Hostile/Neutral/Friendly|
|~~~~~~Stats~~~~~|
|HP~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
|DAM~~~~~~~~~~~~|
|~~Fave sports team~~|

I apologize for the crappy diagram, just tossing out ideas here. I guess what I'm aiming for is a box kinda like they have on Wikipedia for articles about people.

Sep 8, 2009 at 7:45 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Argh, sorry I haven't started the article yet, I have been mind-rapingly busy since Sunday. I haven't even finished the Wrath of Rrrrrrrrrrrrr.
TOMORROW.
YES.

Sep 8, 2009 at 9:45 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
I dunno about this...
A cave story wiki seems a little redundant when we have a cave story forum already...

Sep 8, 2009 at 2:32 PM
Vanished.
...Sorry but what?
So Wikipedia is useless cause you could use forum XYZ?
So Strategyguide is useless cause you could use forum XYZ?

You can't compare a wiki with a forum.

Sep 9, 2009 at 12:25 AM
Schokobecher said:
...Sorry but what?
So Wikipedia is useless cause you could use forum XYZ?
So Strategyguide is useless cause you could use forum XYZ?

You can't compare a wiki with a forum.

I'm just saying in terms of the content.
There is bound to be some overlap.

Sep 9, 2009 at 12:29 AM
for instance --
- lace, major character, although hidden. Can be found the disassembly and hacking.

which is, ya know, true, albeit twisted.

Sep 9, 2009 at 12:35 AM
Lace said:
for instance --
- lace, major character, although hidden. Can be found the disassembly and hacking.

which is, ya know, true, albeit twisted.

Or, ya know.
- DragonBoots, heroic martyr (hidden). Gave his left nut so the game would be made.