Cave Story with Fall Damage

Oct 29, 2022 at 4:16 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"

Cave Story with Fall Damage​

screenshot01.png

Play through Cave Story like you've never played it before with the addition of fall damage! If Quote falls from a high enough distance, he'll lose health! This simple mechanic diversifies the movement tech in the game, adding lots of challenge for veteran players.

Screenshots:
screenshot02.png
screenshot03.png
screenshot04.png

+ Buffed the Brace Boots

- Changed the credits song

• Fixed where you could negate fall damage with either boosters or the Machine Gun

• Fixed bug where you'd be damaged multiple times from one fall

+ Adds a version number

+ Changed loading screen

• Fixed the transparency of TextBox.bmp

• Fixed the credits images

• Fixed the transparency of ItemImage.bmp

Download 1.1 here: Google Drive
[v1.0]

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 7:06 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I gave this mod a spin, and I've got to say, I enjoyed it more than I expected. Just FYI, you seem to have made some edit to TextBox.bmp that messed up the transparency on all of the associated graphics. But in any case, spoilers for those who haven't played yet...

I was thinking to myself "Hm, I wonder if the cutscene of the fall down into Mimiga Village will be any different." And then when it paused for some time and ended, I got a pretty good laugh. Since this was a bad ending, maybe it would have made more sense to give the "The End" screen with "Hero's End" playing instead of the normal/good ending credits. Simply taking away the credit art illustrations and epilogue sequences didn't do much to drive home the point about Quote dying and it being bad. But then again, if you were going for a comedic tone, then I guess maybe what you did was most fitting.

In any case, thanks for the quick laugh.

Oct 30, 2022 at 7:37 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
A way to survive!

The first 20 seconds:

Nov 1, 2022 at 2:37 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Released an updated version of the mod that fixes the transparency in TextBox.bmp as well as changes the credits sequence a bit, get it here (or from the link in the post proper)

Nov 7, 2022 at 12:36 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
This is peak Cave Story modding.