Cave Story+ Wants Good Mods

Oct 19, 2011 at 8:32 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Noxid said:
Mooore questions :debug:

As it stands, there are a number of changes that Cave Editor can make to the executable itself that some people might not be aware are binary changes. These include:
  • Changing initial player variables (starting HP, direction, event, location, etc.)
  • Changing the mapdata (map names, map size, backgrounds, tilesets etc. are (were) all part of the executable)
  • Changing bullet data (damage, weapon flags, range, etc. are all hardcoded things that CE can change)
At least, those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Are things all off-limits as well? It'd be hard to make a mod without changing mapdata. Initial player stuff would be nice, but can be circumvented with TSC. Bullet data could add some variety, but most people could live without changing that.

These are all pretty valid. We have a system in place that can kind of read modified data, but right now, for the sake of making things work right, it doesn't have too many changes. so
- Starting HP should always be 3HP
- Direction, event and locations are part of the script (TSC files) so we can read those fine
- Changing map date and map names is fine, changing the tileset art isn't. But you can chose whatever tilesets you need. Wind Fortress, for example, uses Bushlands White and these a modified first cave and one last set
- I'd like the weapons to remain the same for now. If there's enough interest in weapon modification, maybe we can figure something out in the future.

Lace said:
Oh also.
Will we have access to the curlymode main character sprites?
If so, how would we switch the images from Mr. Traveler to her?

The way we did Curly mode is to swap Mister Traveler and Curly. That's a passable one since it's necessary for the mode. But you'll need to switch her in all the places that Mister Traveler appears.

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:32 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The npc.tbl isn't directly a part of the executable, so is editing that fair game?

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:35 PM
Tpcool said:
So tyrone, what is the due date?

If you want to be part of the first launch for Steam it's ASAP, but we'll be doing content updates, planning for one the first week in December so we'd need mods for us to review/approve by the end of November. So there's still some time.

Seems like some of you already have some good ideas, but stuff that might be interesting:
- Nemesis Challenge: Enemies drop crystals and there are lots of crystals containers, but you have to avoid them so you don't end up with ducks
- Contra/Metal Slug-inspired levels: We have new enemies in the form of the Curly clones and they're pretty mean
- Climb the tower: Imagine a tower with tons of falling blocks, spikes and enemies preventing you from getting to the top
- Platformer-like level(s): you're mostly jumping/boosting to get to the end of the level. Either you have a weak weapon or no weapon at all

Just some ideas, would like to hear more from all of you

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:45 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Hm... December eh? Asap would be nice, but no one told us before hand. I kinda wanna do a physics challenge, like boostmania. I noticed that you have new blocks in the tilesets, if you could mark there locations on a tilesheet without giving away the actual tile that would be nice. Like a green box instead of the new tile that your probably not allowed to give away.

Also, if Quite's name comes up, would you like him to be refered to as "Mr. Traveler"?

Oct 20, 2011 at 2:29 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
Someone do one with no weapon and a bunch of stumpies and beetles.
p139118-0-stumpy.gif
p139118-1-beetle.gif

Oct 20, 2011 at 3:11 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
thecrown said:
Someone do one with no weapon and a bunch of stumpies and beetles.
p139118-0-stumpy.gif
p139118-1-beetle.gif

Dear God.

Oct 20, 2011 at 11:44 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
So a quick once-over found me these:
Corridor
Enemy Rush
Various hell mods (probably only need to suggest one of these at most (and before you ask, no, I am not offering them THotS))
The creators of most of these are not active anymore, and I can't think of any non-challenge-type mods that fit the outline in the OP and are also complete. There are a few other mods that do things like edit what weapons you have in the normal game but I doubt they would be worth it.

If anyone else has anything to add, please feel free to speak up, as I'm sure I've overlooked something somewhere :momo:

Oct 22, 2011 at 4:53 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I know there was a Tic Tac Toe mod lying around somewhere.

I think Lace was trying to revivify it maybe

Oct 22, 2011 at 5:05 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
I'd be up for making a quick platforming mod or a metal slug type mod, the only issue I see is trying to find good placement for the curly-bots without being able to test them D: so I suppose a platforming mod would be fun for me to make.

A few questions, though.
Are we allowed to abandon all pretense of story and make it more of a minigame? I was planning on switching between boosters at different points, not sure if that's okay.
Also, can we assume the player has completed the game in terms of dialogue (ballos dead, crown broken, misery and balrog friendly, etc.)?

Oct 22, 2011 at 7:03 PM
It should definitely be more of a mini-game. Switching between boosters should be fine. We're planning that for our of our future updates.

Prefer not to have any story or exposition in any new levels. Think of these as strictly gameplay/arcade-based levels. Just have fun making some awesome levels.

Oct 22, 2011 at 7:12 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
So do we just make a mod in normal cave story, then submit it...? (Sorry if this has been answered already). I'm interested...

Oct 22, 2011 at 7:20 PM
Prinny said:
So do we just make a mod in normal cave story, then submit it...? (Sorry if this has been answered already). I'm interested...

That's right.