Cave Story: The Prequel, The Remake, and The Sequel.

Oct 10, 2008 at 1:32 PM
Respwnt
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
S. P. Gardebiter said:
Still you haven't asked Pixel and of course he would say "no" :p
She can pass it off as a mod otherwise.

It's all about how you word it. I doubt MS is stupid enough to call it a "sequel" after what happened to your idea. It's just "a mod with a new engine". Although such a thing may not exist, Pixel isn't great at Engrish so to him it's all the same.

Oct 10, 2008 at 7:26 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
You would need to ask Pixel for permission to do a remake, I think. But for a sequel or a prequel, I think it's probably not necessary, provided that you don't intend to make money off it (which would be pretty silly anyway since the original game is freeware).

Oct 11, 2008 at 4:20 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Okay, since I'm still a newbie and can't pm, I'm just going to post my ideas here.

Idea for Prequel:

Think back to the messages that popped up in Hell (Did you know that Jenka...)

"Under the extreme cruelty of the torture, Ballos's magical abilities finally ran wild.
The king was engulfed in the swirl of magic and destroyed in an instant.
In a single night, the kingdom that Ballos so loved was reduced to ashen ruins."

It never says what kingdom this was, and I think that the kingdom was Atlantis, it never "sank beneath the waves", it was destroyed by Ballos. The prequel could have Ballos as the p.c., and would include his life in Atlantis, his torture by the king, and his destruction of the continent; then his exile on the island by Jenka and creation the crown, the prequel ending when Quote and Curly arrive and destroy him.

Idea for Sequel:

(Takes place after best ending)

Quote, Curly & Balrog are living a quiet life after the events in Cave Story, but suddenly weird things start happening, like Curly disappearing, and the Doctor arriving at their house with what appears to be amnesia-he doesn't remember anything past when he arrived on the island, and thinks he is still one of the good guys. The three of them travel back to the island to try and find out what's happening.
This sequel would make use of my other idea that the core and the chamber that it was in were not made by Jenka, my theory is that some mad scientist made the core so that the island would float, and along with it he made a time travel/doomsday device which is what caused Curly to disappear, the Doctor to reappear, and other events to happen throughout the sequel.

It is a very confusing idea, so don't hesitate to ask questions...

Thajaro

Oct 11, 2008 at 7:24 AM
Respwnt
Celtic Minstrel said:
You would need to ask Pixel for permission to do a remake, I think. But for a sequel or a prequel, I think it's probably not necessary, provided that you don't intend to make money off it (which would be pretty silly anyway since the original game is freeware).
Agora's Legends would need permission too, in that case.

Oct 11, 2008 at 9:55 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Roonil Wazlib said:
Agora's Legends would need permission too, in that case.
Agora isn't a remake, it is an engine rewrite. There is a difference.

A sequel or prequel would take away the rights Pixel has to his own game. Which is probably why Pixel didn't want a fan sequel to his game.

Oct 11, 2008 at 2:45 PM
Respwnt
andwhyisit said:
Agora isn't a remake, it is an engine rewrite. There is a difference.

A sequel or prequel would take away the rights Pixel has to his own game. Which is probably why Pixel didn't want a fan sequel to his game.
That would mean mod sequels require permission as well, which they don't. The only difference between mods and Nao's is that this will be using an original engine. That, by the way, is also the difference between Cave Story and Agora's Legends. I can't see how the same rules don't apply.

btw, SP was planning to make the Community Project a fully fledged game like the ones you see at acid-play whereas MS is (I assume) aiming for as much popularity as the best mod ever created can achieve.

Oct 12, 2008 at 3:39 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Roonil Wazlib said:
That would mean mod sequels require permission as well, which they don't. The only difference between mods and Nao's is that this will be using an original engine. That, by the way, is also the difference between Cave Story and Agora's Legends. I can't see how the same rules don't apply.

btw, SP was planning to make the Community Project a fully fledged game like the ones you see at acid-play whereas MS is (I assume) aiming for as much popularity as the best mod ever created can achieve.
Is that still going, or did it die?

Oct 12, 2008 at 12:29 PM
Respwnt
Lvl. 3 Blade said:
Is that still going, or did it die?
It got owned when Pixel said he didn't allow it.

That was very different from this though, seeing as MS has posted this in the mods section, thus not inviting many "OMG it's an epicz0rs sequel O_O"s.

Oct 12, 2008 at 1:38 PM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Just word it with "MY sequel of CS, I know Pix-sama's would be 10^1337 times more pwnage than this, just that I can't wait for that, so I humbly makes my own first. enjoy"

btw MS you're 18, you studyin somewhere? 'cause that may explain yer not so frequent onlining.

Oct 12, 2008 at 1:43 PM
Respwnt
freezit4 said:
Just word it with "MY sequel of CS, I know Pix-sama's would be 10^1337 times more pwnage than this, just that I can't wait for that, so I humbly makes my own first. enjoy"
But why would she require permission in the first place if none of the mod-sequels do?

Oct 12, 2008 at 3:57 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
I don't really know. This is actually quite a confusing issue. I think a remake of the engine would not require Pixel's permission*– if permission is required, it would be for the use of the art, storyline, characters, etcetera. It's perfectly legal to create a clone of a copyrighted piece of software. I think it may even be legal to reverse-engineer the software, use the results of that to write a technical specification, and then use the spec to write a clone.

So, it's the creative aspect (storyline, setting, characters, art) that requires permission. And yet, fan art is not illegal. I would guess mods are legally in the same category as fanart.

(Keep in mind that I'm not actually a law student, so this post should be taken with an appropriate grain of salt.)

Oct 13, 2008 at 2:01 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Some Guy: OMG MS I love your cave story game.
Pixel: You stole the rights to my game?! Go forth my army of ninja lawyers!
MS: Noooooooooo! *dies*

Basically with a mod you are only claiming rights to the changes to cave story. But if the remake is popular then you will be stealing 5 years of work away from Pixel. That is even worse than with a fan sequel.

Oct 13, 2008 at 3:49 AM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Roonil Wazlib said:
It got owned when Pixel said he didn't allow it.

That was very different from this though, seeing as MS has posted this in the mods section, thus not inviting many "OMG it's an epicz0rs sequel O_O"s.

Pixel hasn't made his comments on this mod prequel sequel idea YET. -_-"

I start wondering if the argument is all about what exactly we refer to this mod/remake as; issit a remake or mod?
If it's a mod, no rights are stolen as, like Roonil said, otherwise all mods would need permit. If it's a remake, then...

Oct 13, 2008 at 5:33 AM
Respwnt
andwhyisit said:
Basically with a mod you are only claiming rights to the changes to cave story.
Just as MS will do for this. Sorry, but since this is legal business and all, you really need to define "changes" here.
andwhyisit said:
But if the remake is popular then you will be stealing 5 years of work away from Pixel. That is even worse than with a fan sequel.
Agreed, but the question is whether it's legal or not. Okay, so whether or not it's legal, maybe it would be best for MS to ask first for the remake.
Metalogz said:
Pixel hasn't made his comments on this mod prequel sequel idea YET. -_-"
That was my reply the Blade lv. 3 who was referring to the Community Project.
Metalogz said:
I start wondering if the argument is all about what exactly we refer to this mod/remake as; issit a remake or mod?
Strictly going by SP's definitions, this is a game. However, I believe MS has the final say on this and if she wants to call it a mod, it's a mod. If she does that, she's restricting herself from submitting this to the list of the 100 best games of the year so there isn't likely to be any legal crap either.

Oct 13, 2008 at 5:47 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Roonil Wazlib said:
Just as MS will do for this. Sorry, but since this is legal business and all, you really need to define "changes" here.
Have you ever seen a rom hack? IPS patches are legal, though it is illegal to distribute the patch as a rom if it is for a commercial (not free) title. But cave story is free and there are no laws against distributing it, so a hack (mod) can be distributed with the other game files.

Though if you want to debate the legality of cave story mods then you guys could always just build a custom cave story patching and patch making utility. :D

Roonil Wazlib said:
Strictly going by SP's definitions, this is a game. However, I believe MS has the final say on this and if she wants to call it a mod, it's a mod. If she does that, she's restricting herself from submitting this to the list of the 100 best games of the year so there isn't likely to be any legal crap either.
MS referred to it as a "Custom engine Cave Story game" in the first post.

Though MS could always go down the road of "The Underside" and "Hack9".

Oct 13, 2008 at 6:11 AM
Hoxtilicious
Roonil Wazlib said:
She can pass it off as a mod otherwise.

She can't.
Simply due to the fact that she has a costum engine. If you make a sequel with a costum engine it's fanwork and it's a game as well.

Roonil Wazlib said:
btw, SP was planning to make the Community Project a fully fledged game like the ones you see at acid-play whereas MS is (I assume) aiming for as much popularity as the best mod ever created can achieve

Games aren't mods. I can make a game and "sell it" as a mod and therefor lying to Pixel. Also I never wanted to make a "full fledged" game, I wanted to make a fanwork. So tell me where is the difference between my project and Microsoft's project?

Roonil Wazlib said:

So If I call my project a mod then it's a mod too, allthough it's the same as a game? Great! I will ask Pixel. -_-" He probably won't figure out that it has a costum engine.

Oct 13, 2008 at 6:27 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
S. P. Gardebiter said:
She can't.
Simply due to the fact that she has a costum engine.
Thankyou SP!

If such logic was used in real life then Halo 2 was a mod of Pokemon Ruby Version. :D

The game cannot be a mod of a certain game without being built upon the engine for that game.

Oct 13, 2008 at 3:06 PM
Justin-chan
That's cause
p43051-0-nyz028.jpg

Oct 14, 2008 at 3:47 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I'm sorry about ranting on about such topics, but this argument, "enthralling" as it is, is utterly pointless unless we can get a clear statement from pixel about his stance on mods/remakes. You could bicker about the legality of this remake until you're blue in the face, but at the end of the day, only two people can decide the fate of this remake. Pixel, who will or won't give permission for this game to be made, and MetaSeraphim who can heed or ignore what he says (or maybe not even ask to begin with).

Also, the game/mod debate has already been argued a hundredfold beforehand and is becoming very old. This debate belongs [thread=1187]here[/thread].

I'm getting fed up with people feeling compelled to put in their side of an argument whenever a sensitive subject arises. I wish people would just show a little more self-restraint and use the appropriate thread.

Now all I simply want is to get back on-topic. I will take mod discussion over arguments any day. :p

Whilst I'm on that subject, how far has this remake gotten anyways?