Cave Story: The Legacy

Nov 4, 2007 at 11:25 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Cave Story: The Legacy (second version)

Helloes. Some might question my credibility on the grounds that my first post on these forums was of my Cave Story mod.

First of all, I know that there is another legacy mod. This is my take on what happened before the original Cave Story, hopefully cohering to what happened in the original, and it is not meant to be better in any way than the other. I didn't steal the idea, in fact, I was modding before I even saw that thread. :)

Second of all, I am not quite ready to put it up for everyone to look at, especially considering my only edits are the sprites. As soon as I figure out how to put the helicopter onto the screen I'll be ready to go!

While I have the time, however, I will show a few screenshots of what I have done. Nothing too great, in fact most as of now are just edits of the main sprites. The main character will still be Quote, and it's not going to change.

So, first up, here's my Anti-Aliased Cave Story Legacy Title:

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa290/keantoken/CaveStoryLegacyTitle.png

Everything you see here that's not in the original game was hand-drawn by me. Same with all the other pictures you'll see. Also, notice that Quote's face is not bleached! This was before Quote spent 10 years in that dark cave... I prefer to think that Quote looked like any normal human being when he was first created... Somehow I don't like robot-Quote.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa290/keantoken/Decision.png

Yep. Decision time. Did you know that that save could cost your your life? Not really, but that's a decision you make. To save, or not to save - that is the question.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa290/keantoken/QuoteShot.png

Yep. I modified the gun to make it look duller. Whenever you start out, you'll have this gun. The description will go something like this: Standard energy gun. You shouldn't need anything better at the moment...

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa290/keantoken/Crushed.png

Yes, I took this precisely when Quote turned invisible after being crushed by a falling block. This is supposed to be that place when it's new, but I only edited the tiles, so it looks a bit awkward. Also, I need to put something on the tiles to make them not look so plain...

At any rate, feel free to be contented with this for the moment,

- keantoken

Nov 4, 2007 at 11:57 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Well, I'm 14 years old, so I should have enough time on my hands. If I start lagging spam me ;)

- keantoken

Nov 4, 2007 at 12:01 PM
Respwnt
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
keantoken said:
Well, I'm 14 years old, so I should have enough time on my hands. If I start lagging spam me ;)

- keantoken
Got it. BTW, you're younger than me, and I don't know a $#!7 about hacking, and I don't think I will before SP completes his FAQ.

Nov 4, 2007 at 1:11 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Heh. Right now, I'm trying to throw together a first-timer script so that I can ask about it in the beginner's thread. BTW I've been up all night doing this. I've been multitasking like crazy. Posting on Sword Forum International, here, checking email, talking with Pixel (trying to at least - he doesn't speak English and I don't speak Japanese! XP), not to mention editing sprites and testing them out. I'm trying to make this look as if it actually could be a prequel and and less as if it was a fan-made prequel, for the sake of half-authenticity. If I'm lucky, I may have something thrown together before the end of the weekend.

Nov 4, 2007 at 1:51 PM
Respwnt
keantoken said:
Heh. Right now, I'm trying to throw together a first-timer script so that I can ask about it in the beginner's thread. BTW I've been up all night doing this. I've been multitasking like crazy. Posting on Sword Forum International, here, checking email, talking with Pixel (trying to at least - he doesn't speak English and I don't speak Japanese! XP), not to mention editing sprites and testing them out. I'm trying to make this look as if it actually could be a prequel and and less as if it was a fan-made prequel, for the sake of half-authenticity. If I'm lucky, I may have something thrown together before the end of the weekend.
Wow, talk about instant service.

Nov 4, 2007 at 2:05 PM
Justin-chan
I find Quote's hair a little odd. Somewhere around the fringe area. I can't see whats wrong with it, but it looks a little odd.

Nov 4, 2007 at 2:22 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
I don't really like the way your weapons are modded.... They look plain... =S

Well but its your first try! ;)

And yeah Quote's head is too small and flat with that hairstyle...

Nov 4, 2007 at 2:33 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Yes, I might say it is a bit odd. I haven't done terribly much pixel art, so it's definitely not professional. Here's the MyChar File with the transparency turned green, if it'll help a bit. Heh. No steals.

- keantoken

Nov 4, 2007 at 2:38 PM
Respwnt
keantoken said:
Yes, I might say it is a bit odd. I haven't done terribly much pixel art, so it's definitely not professional. Here's the MyChar File with the transparency turned green, if it'll help a bit. Heh. No steals.

- keantoken
Cant see the image. Dunno why.

Nov 4, 2007 at 2:46 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Nov 4, 2007 at 2:48 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Nov 4, 2007 at 2:55 PM
Luls
Erm I suggest you use www.imageshack.us to upload your images. It looks really small and.. why is it against a green background? o.o?

Nov 4, 2007 at 2:58 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I did use ImageShack... It's a thumbnail. And the background is green for better visibility. I posted it so that people could make suggestions.

>S. P.:
Oops. That was stupid of me. Fixing.

<Wazlib:
It shows fine on my computer and seems to on Metalogz' computer. Not sure what the problem is.

- keantoken

Nov 4, 2007 at 3:04 PM
Luls
keantoken said:
I did use ImageShack... It's a thumbnail.

Err... Are you sure you did it right? Next time use the Direct Link... It shouldn't be resized. Also, remove the size indicator too.

Nov 4, 2007 at 3:08 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I think he meant you didn't need to worry about the title, since Nator's was lacy STORY while yours is CAVE STORY: the legacy

It's all about that ':/' at the end of the link...

Err... Are you sure you did it right? Next time use the Direct Link... It shouldn't be resized. Also, remove the size indicator too.

Fixed.

- keantoken