Cave Story piano collection

Jul 29, 2008 at 3:43 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hi.

I'm Sebastian, aka, GermanSeabass. I arrange music. And due to Cave Story's awesomeness, I decided to create piano arrangements from the entire soundtrack. Yeah, all 36 tracks. Sorry King's Theme, you're not included. ;)

My sincerest thanks to this Anarch person who converted the game soundtrack from Pixel's .ORG format to MIDI, which made arranging slightly easier.

Without further ado: enjoy, stare at, play, share and do whatever else you want to the Cave Story piano collection~

Jul 29, 2008 at 5:31 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Jul 29, 2008 at 6:56 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
GermanSeabass said:
Thanks- but I have all the ORGs already. Problem is that no other program can read ORG files, and as far as I know, no MIDI exists of that (yet). Had I the MIDI, creating sheet music would be a simple task ;)
Huh? There are plenty of programs that can read org format and a few that can edit it. As SP has shown it is possible to convert org to midi by hand

SP might have a MIDI version though. I don't know since the link is broken. If not then you could always ask SP really nicely if he can make one.

Aug 1, 2008 at 4:02 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Exciting! I wanna go home so I can listen to this.

Aug 1, 2008 at 5:21 PM
Hoxtilicious
Aug 1, 2008 at 5:24 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Nice work! I downloaded Sibelius' Scorch program to see what the .sib files look like... [like a midi but you watch it play the sheet of music]

Makes me want to try these out on the piano :D

Aug 1, 2008 at 7:18 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Wow! GermanSeabass thanks! I've been searching all over google for these ^^"

Aug 1, 2008 at 10:30 PM
He who lurks beneath the posts.
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Very interesting xP one thing though... Cave story (curly) is way out of wack and sounds uneven :D. and im not able to hear the 4 handed version of last battle.

Aug 2, 2008 at 12:15 AM
Guy with Sword
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!

I finally have a score of Moonsong that isn't ridiculously over my skill level. :D

Aug 2, 2008 at 2:07 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
KuroKun said:
Very interesting xP one thing though... Cave story (curly) is way out of wack and sounds uneven :o. and im not able to hear the 4 handed version of last battle.

Hm, "out of wack"? Perhaps something went wrong. This was an insane piece to arrange, since <music theory start> all notes were tuplets (♪∙) squeezed into a 4/4 meter. Hence me having to re-write everything so it would be readable.

And yes, Sibelius is amazing. It's a professional sheet music notation program with support for midi, Finale, and most other standard music notation forms. If you're into music, it's a worthy investment :D

Aug 2, 2008 at 7:59 AM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Yeah I agree that Cave Story (curly) is abit out of tune =/...

I mean the score sheet not the midi.

When I try to play it it sounds weird. ._.

Aug 2, 2008 at 10:58 PM
It sounds like five different songs forced to play with each other :mad: . And that makes me sad...

Aug 5, 2008 at 7:25 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
GermanSeabass said:
Hm, "out of wack"? Perhaps something went wrong. This was an insane piece to arrange, since <music theory start> all notes were tuplets (♪∙) squeezed into a 4/4 meter. Hence me having to re-write everything so it would be readable.
...wait, what?
  1. First of all, the piece is written in 12/8, not 4/4--which is pretty obvious if you look at it in Orgmaker, though I'm not sure how well that came across in you MIDI conversion. At any rate, if you'd written it out in that--or, heck, any compound meter--you could have saved yourself a good deal of trouble.
  2. But supposing that you decide to use 4/4 anyway: what's so awful about triplets that you have to rewrite all of them? There are plenty of other (better) ways you could have handled them. This arranger, for example, wrote everything with swung 8th notes, and on the few occasions where that didn't suffice, wrote out the full triplets.
Honestly, I'm kind of confused. You didn't screw up any of the other compound meter pieces--why this one? Something must have gone wrong, somewhere, but I don't see why it would only have affected this piece.

Aug 5, 2008 at 7:34 AM
Its the way the song was made. It was made as if multiple instruments were playing. Or at least that's what I think it is. :p

Oh right And I think Org. is in 4/4. It just shows the... Eh... I forgot what it was called xD. Gotta love me xP... well ill come back if i remember

Aug 5, 2008 at 9:16 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Snarwin said:
...wait, what?
  1. First of all, the piece is written in 12/8, not 4/4--which is pretty obvious if you look at it in Orgmaker, though I'm not sure how well that came across in you MIDI conversion. At any rate, if you'd written it out in that--or, heck, any compound meter--you could have saved yourself a good deal of trouble.
  2. But supposing that you decide to use 4/4 anyway: what's so awful about triplets that you have to rewrite all of them? There are plenty of other (better) ways you could have handled them. This arranger, for example, wrote everything with swung 8th notes, and on the few occasions where that didn't suffice, wrote out the full triplets.
Honestly, I'm kind of confused. You didn't screw up any of the other compound meter pieces--why this one? Something must have gone wrong, somewhere, but I don't see why it would only have affected this piece.

First off- thanks for the music lesson (no, I'm not being facetious/sarcastic- I'm serious). My jazz knowledge is quite limited, and I used what I knew to publish it; errors and everything.

The reason I redid the entire piece was for simplicity's sake. The dotted eight notes in the original midi (with an adjusted 12/8 meter) looks a bit like this:
diph.php

So I instead converted the dotted eight notes to eight notes, and the meter from 12/8 to 4/4. Yeah, I could have written out the swing and kept it in compound time, but my plan was to simplify as much as possible. Good idea, bad idea?

Aug 19, 2008 at 1:22 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
GermanSeabass said:
The reason I redid the entire piece was for simplicity's sake. The dotted eight notes in the original midi (with an adjusted 12/8 meter) looks a bit like this:
diph.php

So I instead converted the dotted eight notes to eight notes, and the meter from 12/8 to 4/4. Yeah, I could have written out the swing and kept it in compound time, but my plan was to simplify as much as possible. Good idea, bad idea?
...okay, I think I see where you got confused.

First of all, reducing the dotted 8ths to normal 8th notes was fine. The problem is with that dotted 16th/32nd construction at the end of the passage. This is what it should look like:
diph.php

Yes, a triplet. Why? Well, the way you've written it out, in 4/4, it's not the 8th notes that are swung--it's the 16th notes. So you haven't really avoided the problem that you thought you avoided, and as a result you ended up unwittingly trying to approximate triplets. Which, as I'm sure you know, is an exercise in futility and frustration.

There are, as far as I know, two ways to deal with it. One is to write the triplets out, as I have above. The other (which makes for slightly cleaner-looking notation), is to write it as straight 16th notes and stick something in the tempo marking that tells people to swing them, like in the example here . Personally, I'd go with the first method, so as not to risk confusing people who aren't familiar with playing swing rhythms, but it's your call.

Anyway, I'm glad I could help.

Aug 19, 2008 at 3:07 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I was actually thinking about using tuplets for written-out swing instead. What confused me a bit though was that the ORGs (--> midi) was written out with 8th and 16th notes. I suppose ORG doesn't have a convenient tuplet function...

So, you were thinking along the lines of this:
diph.php

The most experience I have with swing is 4 years of dance lessons. With regards to music, I'm mostly classically sheltered... Thanks for the heads up!

Aug 19, 2008 at 10:34 AM
"Huzzah!"
Could u put this onto finale music

Aug 22, 2008 at 6:41 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
GermanSeabass said:
I was actually thinking about using tuplets for written-out swing instead. What confused me a bit though was that the ORGs (--> midi) was written out with 8th and 16th notes. I suppose ORG doesn't have a convenient tuplet function...
Uh...once again, the ORG is written out in 12/8--precisely because OrgMaker doesn't have a tuplet function. When you're writing swing in compound time, you don't need to use tuplets; they're built-in to the meter.

GermanSeabass said:
So, you were thinking along the lines of this:
[image]
Yeah, that's how I'd do it. At least, the melody--the left hand looks kind of bare. But that's a different discussion.

GermanSeabass said:
The most experience I have with swing is 4 years of dance lessons. With regards to music, I'm mostly classically sheltered... Thanks for the heads up!
Once again, glad to help! As soon as I have access to a piano again, I'll be sure to try out some of your arrangements.