Cave Story PC?

Jul 4, 2011 at 7:31 AM
Banned
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
So i was playing on my Wii the other day and it was Cave Story, and MAN it's great :D but then i saw that there was a PC version out.. is this true? :confused: like how much money does it cost?

Thanks, ;)
realXgamer

Jul 4, 2011 at 8:13 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Hello :confused:

The PC version of Cave Story is free, but compared to the Wii version it only has the Story Mode (you must translate it first). But unlike the Wii you can download mods and stuff.

I would post the link to it, but I'm using the 3DS internet browser so I can't copy the link ;)

Jul 4, 2011 at 8:18 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
http://www.cavestory.org/downloads_game.php

Cave Story is a freeware game for the PC. However the graphics are slightly less detailed in the PC version and some of the additional modes are unavailable, and the fan translation differs a bit from the Wiimake official translation.

Jul 4, 2011 at 8:24 AM
Been here way too long...
Holy shit is there actually a PC version out? This changes everything!
You'd think they would keep the franchise Nintendo-only. How are they going to make money off a free PC game? And allowing mods to it? It's like Nicalis doesn't even care.

You know, I just looked it up and the PC version looks like it was made by one guy in his free time. What is gaming coming to.

Jul 4, 2011 at 7:18 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
ahaha good`ol sarcastic CF :confused: ;)

@realXgamer 1) The PC version was first, it was made entirely by Pixel, it is freeware.
2) The Wii version you bought was made later by Pixel (?) and Nicalis. The difference is basically the 2x res.

Jul 4, 2011 at 7:20 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
wtf the pc one IS the original
you brought cave story? no offence but in my opinion you just got scammed <(00)> oh and it was pixel who made the game by himself PIXEL!!! nicalas wouldent care because in theorie it isnt the're game!!!

i did not look at other posts on the thread before i posted this so somone might have put this before (the one above me) sorry

Jul 4, 2011 at 7:38 PM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
mrthadawee said:
wtf the pc one IS the original you brought cave story? no offence but you just got scammed <(00)> oh and it was pixel who made the game by himself PIXEL!!! nicalas wouldent care because in theorie it isnt the're game!!!
^^^Just ignore him^^^

First of all, how did you even make it to the forums without going to the main page, which has a downloads section. In addition, in the summary of the Wii-ware version, doesn't it say something along the lines of "After being so successful on PC, action shooter Cave Story is now on Wii-Ware".

I'm glad I waited five minutes after reading the OP before posting; I had a really bad headache after smashing my head through my desk.

Jul 4, 2011 at 7:50 PM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
mrthadawee said:
wtf the pc one IS the original you brought cave story? no offence but you just got scammed <(00)> oh and it was pixel who made the game by himself PIXEL!!! nicalas wouldent care because in theorie it isnt the're game!!!

It's really not a scam if you buy Cave Story on a Nintendo system. In the Wii version you get extra modes plus revamped graphics and sound, and in the DSi version you get an extra mode plus the benifet of it being portable. I started out with the DSi version and I dont feel scammed at all. It's acually the game I've played most on the system.

Jul 4, 2011 at 8:36 PM
meep
I don't consider it a scam, I just don't like Nicalis.
I don't like how they took Pixel's game and plastered their logos on it (alongside Pixel's name, in smaller text and for less time), and how many people don't realize the game was originally a piece of freeware made exclusively by Pixel.

I know he's happy with it all, but I still feel like he's being taken advantage of.

Jul 4, 2011 at 9:15 PM
Like your mother.

@RealXGamer, basically what everyone else said. Tyrone Rodriguez, who I hear isn't actually that much of a jerk at all, founded NICALiS and ported several PC games over to WiiWare (including Cave Story and La Mulana). They also produced NightSky, which is a completely original work. A lot of us feel they botched the conversion to Wii, so it'll be interesting to see if you like the PC version better or if we're all just nostalgic old fogeys.

Jul 5, 2011 at 12:41 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Again, Nicalis seems more inept and inexperienced than manipulative to me. 3DS version looks like it'll be cool. Though I'm thinking of selling my 3DS considering NOA's policy with hardcore games and the region lock (unlike the Wii with proper modifications).

Jul 5, 2011 at 7:22 PM
CommanderJersey said:
It's really not a scam if you buy Cave Story on a Nintendo system. In the Wii version you get extra modes plus revamped graphics and sound, and in the DSi version you get an extra mode plus the benifet of it being portable. I started out with the DSi version and I dont feel scammed at all. It's acually the game I've played most on the system.
in my opinion it is a scam due to in my opinion!!!! shitty music remixes and not much changes you can get it for free just like i said AND you can mod it if you want it changed or play other peopes mods in the hack and mod showcase

(wtf story is epic)

Jul 5, 2011 at 7:32 PM
Cave Story said:
^^^Just ignore him^^^

First of all, how did you even make it to the forums without going to the main page, which has a downloads section. In addition, in the summary of the Wii-ware version, doesn't it say something along the lines of "After being so successful on PC, action shooter Cave Story is now on Wii-Ware".

I'm glad I waited five minutes after reading the OP before posting; I had a really bad headache after smashing my head through my desk.

Actualy I think my brother has a good point (for once! XD) I like the PC version, mainly because I perfer origanality more but anyways, I'm Okay with the wii one, but if you chose the origanal graphics/music in the options, It does make it look/sound bad, which makes me a bit anoyed, so, I'm gonna leave it to you lot to argue about this, I'm just marking my opinion here okay?

Jul 5, 2011 at 7:46 PM
Member Title
I was telling them to ignore your brother because he was just being an idiot and giving an unhelpful response to a new user.

Allow me to rephrase that.
He was saying something that people had already said, and doing so rather immaturely.

Jul 5, 2011 at 11:26 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
in my opinion it is a scam due to in my opinion!!!! shitty music remixes and not much changes you can get it for free just like i said AND you can mod it if you want it changed or play other peopes mods in the hack and mod showcase

That's like saying "In my opinion trees are purple!".

Saying it's your opinion doesn't mean it isn't wrong.

Cave Story Wii is not, by definition, a scam.

A scam is an illegitimate business tactic wherein somebody is tricked out of their money through lies and false claims.

NICALiS promised you Cave Story with updated graphics and music, plus a couple of extra features. That's what you got. Whether you like those or not is up to you (for me: new graphics good, new music bad). But it isn't a scam.

I don't like the MIDI music in the Wii version: that's why I turn on the Original Music setting when I play on the Wii, and suddenly I have the best of both worlds (well, minus the Aeon Genesis translation, which I think is way better :().

Jul 6, 2011 at 6:34 PM
okay, I know my brother is being a bit of a twit, but just, like don't kinda pick on him, he gets anoyed easily, and also likes making his opinions heard

Okay, thanks :p

Jul 8, 2011 at 1:34 AM
Don't worry Picto-Curly, he's banned. It won't be a problem anymore.
Anyway, this is a really funny thread and all, but all the complaining has been done. Wait for the 3DS release to resume complaints.

Jul 8, 2011 at 5:22 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Jesus you guys are still on this?
I made this like four days ago and you keep on reviving it >:

It sparked way more actual conversation than I anticipated, way to be level-headed and cool and ruin my trolling.

You all suck,
-Cultr1/realXgamer

Jul 8, 2011 at 1:08 PM
Why wouldn't it start actual conversation, ser?
We of the senior members tend to be mature.

Troll better next time.
(And do try not to get banned if you do it again)

Jul 9, 2011 at 1:18 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I fell in love due to the PC version. I'd actually get it on the Wii to let visitors play but only if the creator gets money from it.