Cave Story in Games Done Quick

Jan 5, 2014 at 3:31 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Original post:
So I was looking at the schedule for Awesome Games Done Quick, and I noticed that Cave Story will be speed-ran today around 7:45PM EST. The estimated time for completion will be an hour and ten minutes, and they will be going for the best ending. Take a look if you can, it's a great event. Is anybody going to be watching it? I know I will be.

EDIT: For anyone who wants a taste of how this usually goes before they dive right in, take a look at the archives up on YouTube. Try finding your favorite game, they may have done it!
Cave Story makes a return to GDQ after making its first apperance a year ago during the Winter event. Looking at the schedule, the game will be ran July 31st (Friday) at 10:10AM EST. It's being ran by someone different this time, but the estimate is the same (an hour and ten minutes).

Jan 5, 2014 at 6:42 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I thought I was the only one who liked watching Awesome Games Done Quick. I'm waiting for the Chrono Trigger run to take place.

Jan 5, 2014 at 7:34 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
My friend told me about that too, actually. Is it worth watching though? o.o

Jan 5, 2014 at 7:42 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Dunc2403 said:
I call bullshit on that time estimateLike seriously, this run took 50 minutes.
Maybe they're playing a port that goes at a better speed? Either way, these guys are good and I think they could totally pull it off. I've never seen this particular runner in action before, but I've never seen a GDQ run that ended with the actual time being over the estimate. I think they account for mistakes when making the estimate.

Pomfy said:
My friend told me about that too, actually. Is it worth watching though? o.o
If you have free time, I'd totally recommend it. I usually have fun watching them, and it's for a great cause.

Jan 5, 2014 at 7:45 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Oh that is a good point, if they're playing CS+ then it'll be considerably faster. While that difference of only 10fps doesn't seem to be that much, when running a whole game it really will make a difference.

Jan 5, 2014 at 9:34 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I've single segmented (and livestreamed) Cave Story+ before on normal with the best ending, and I got a time of around 1 hour 35 minutes, with no deaths. I might have taken a break for going to the bathroom once or something but other than that it was pretty continuous iirc. I'm a pretty fast player, so I feel their time might be a bit of an over estimate, but if the run is practiced well enough beforehand (mine was just a spur of the moment thing) they might be able to bring their time down to 1 hour 10 mins, but I'd put money on them going over.

Jan 6, 2014 at 12:24 AM
I actually was going to make a topic about this, but didn't get around to it.
Honestly, I felt in the mood to try a Cave Story Speedrun, and was about 1:10 in when I gave up after I died and lost like 10 minutes. Granted, I didn't practice at all and I went out of my way to get stuff where in a speedrun, you would ignore it. (Whimsical Star, going for Machine Gun instead of Spur because of mobility, etc.)
I honestly like the idea behind this; Speedrunning games for charity. I've watched some of the GDQ runs, but never have donated because age and account stuff. The prizes are neat, and I want to get in on the CS prizes. (CS Perler and Backdrop)

Jan 6, 2014 at 2:38 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Just a heads-up to everyone, the run will be starting it less than ten minutes. Come here now: http://www.gamesdonequick.com/
Wow... didn't make the estimate. Was kinda close, though. Got to Ballos when he reached an hour and ten minutes, and the run ended at 1:11:26. He died apparently, but I guess I wasn't watching when he did.

Jan 6, 2014 at 2:41 AM
He died somewhere in Sandzone during the puppy fetch-quest. He had to get I think 3 of the dogs again and beat Omega again also.

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:43 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
For those who missed the stream, there's a recorded version (the first 15 minutes are prepping, so you skip ahead to see the actual run):

http://youtu.be/pzy3MyJIXSU

Jun 9, 2015 at 1:58 AM
Out of curiosity, I checked the Games Done Quick Schedule for Summer 2015, and noticed that Cave Story will be played. It will be played on July 31st early in the morning.
Mod notice: If possible, maybe rename thread to "Cave Story in Games Done Quick"

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:05 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
And Summer Games Done Quick 2015 is live! http://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick
Cave Story doesn't start for another five days, but I thought I'd spread the word. It's really a great event.

On a side note, if you are watching before the DKC3 run (it's gonna happen a few hours from this post), make sure to donate to the file name incentive "pizza." Nameless and I got that particular name started up, and it's amazingly already at $220+! So please donate some money towards that to make our dreams come true, we're in second place.

EDIT: It was super hype and fun to watch the money go up, but "pizza" only made third place with $369 because of the IWATA file name that made a bunch of money at the end. Better luck next GDQ.

Jul 27, 2015 at 4:14 AM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
369 dollars were raised in the name of pizza
we got third place at least

Aug 6, 2015 at 7:35 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Well, Cave Story was run about a week ago, and they actually went under estimate this time! The runner almost went sub one hour, so it is a definite improvement from the last time Cave Story was run at Games Done Quick.

Aug 6, 2015 at 8:08 PM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
suggestion for next big adgq donation incentive: crash bandicoot guy plays all of the games

pretty much the only reason i would watch any a/sgdq

Aug 6, 2015 at 8:24 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
oh my god the crash 2 guy was so cringe inducing it was painful
I can't even watch the full highlight reel, it's just really bad: https://youtu.be/Hu5cigKoxlk

Apparently he got banned from GDQ and from Twitch, so it's unlikely we'll be seeing much more of him. :D