Cave Story HD

Oct 16, 2011 at 7:01 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
I feel the Mac and Wii version is a bit more detailed but still pixelated and I wanted to try it. I've been searching around and I can't find a mod for higher resolution graphics on the PC version of Cave Story. Has anyone made one already?

Oct 16, 2011 at 7:06 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
You cannot make a 2x res mod for Cave Story original, because Nicalis and Pixel have their legal claim to that. Nicalis will be releasing Cave Story+ for PC soon, so you can get what you want.

For mods (that are NOT exactly the same as the original CS), people have made 2x res versions of them. For example, go look at King: Strife and Sacrifice and the latest version of The Show.

Oct 16, 2011 at 7:34 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Now 4x res mod...

Oct 16, 2011 at 4:33 PM
inside is yello
"..."
Buddy, I have a feeling that if you want that, you'd have to do it. Yourself. If it would even be possible.

Oct 16, 2011 at 9:42 PM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
I don't think that the grafics have to be any better. And CS3D is already making them higher res. But an 8-bit CS is something I would like to see...

Oct 16, 2011 at 9:52 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
CommanderJersey said:
But an 8-bit CS is something I would like to see...

What about a 4-bit Cave Story? (hint)

Oct 16, 2011 at 10:25 PM
Not anymore
CommanderJersey said:
But an 8-bit CS is something I would like to see...

I think you should replace the word "8-bit" with "more retro looking". It's not clear what you mean by 8-bit Cave Story and I think the game looks retro enough at 1x res. If you want a real 8-bit implementation of Cave Story, you should play it on your graphing calculator, which actually works on an 8-bit architecture.

Oct 17, 2011 at 12:06 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Carrotlord, do you mean that Nicalis and Pixel have legal rights to the concept of a 2x resolution mod at all, or just that making a mod with the CS+ graphics would not be legal?

Oct 17, 2011 at 12:44 AM
Not anymore
Tronlet said:
Carrotlord, do you mean that Nicalis and Pixel have legal rights to the concept of a 2x resolution mod at all, or just that making a mod with the CS+ graphics would not be legal?

Okay... now I see why my original post was kinda confusing. Let me clarify.

Possibility #1 - Remaking the original Cave Story with 2x graphics and giving it to people for free (Not allowed)
You want to make a double resolution version of the original Cave Story. You somehow manage to get a copy of Noxid and GIR's double resolution hack, and you replace all the regular graphics with new 2x graphics. You either make these new graphics by hand or steal them from Cave Story + / Wiiware Cave Story.
In this case, you did not change the storyline or do any significant modding. You just replaced the graphics. Now you are cutting into Pixel's and Nicalis's revenues because they are making less money from Wiiware Cave Story and Cave Story+. You just gave out a copy of Cave Story 2x for free.

(This idea works in theory but not in practice. To use the 2x res hack, some NPCs must be deleted. The game will break somewhere in the middle. Unless you know ASM and are willing to optimize the code, you cannot feasibly make a 2x res version of the original Cave Story)

Possibility #2 - Turning a custom mod into a 2x res version (this is allowed)
You make your own mod. This mod is a sequel to Cave Story and has lots of new features. You put in your own graphics and your own storyline. You have a bunch of new maps and you changed the damage of the weapons. The items have different names and graphics too, and they are used for different things.
Now you ask Noxid by email or PM for a double resolution upgrade. He agrees and gives you back your mod, but with a double-resolution executable. You now remake your graphics in the new 2x res style. Some of the graphics in your new mod are leftover from the original Cave Story, but it's okay to make them 2x res because your mod does not resemble the original Cave Story very much.
In this case, you are doing nothing wrong. Your mod is unique and does NOT follow the original Cave Story plotline. This means when people download your double resolution mod, they are not playing double resolution Cave Story but a unique game based off of Cave Story. Therefore, people will still pay money for Cave Story+ and Cave Story for Wii.

For the terms and conditions associated with making a custom 2x res mod, you should see Noxid's application for resolution upgrade.