Cave Story Hard Mode (wiiware)

Nov 20, 2011 at 4:01 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
If you haven't gotten the wii ware version, or have not tried hard mode yet, it's basically regular Cave Story, except all upgrades have been removed (Life capsules and the Missile Launcher). So, have any of you tried it? I'm currently at Grasstown. I'm sure the later bosses are gonna be an absolute joy.

Nov 20, 2011 at 4:14 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Still stuch on Monster X and always will be...! On mah DS version and Wii version.

And ah tink thread was already created on this!

Nov 20, 2011 at 4:26 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I tried it on halloween, made it to Chaco's house as a zombie and then.. saved...

Maybe i'll pick up from where I left off. The only reason I stopped, was because I find the dialogue from the original to be vastly superior to that of the Wii - and i'm guessing all other consecutive/future ports.

(They replaced the "Doctor Dumb can go screw himself!" line with some lame euphemistic phrase to make it more child-friendly... and that was my favourite!) ;^;

Tpcool said:
Still stuch on Monster X and always will be...! On mah DS version and Wii version.
Pretty sure i've killed him without taking a hit on normal, but then again it's possible that I used the missile launcher.. I normally use the L3 machine gun on phase 1, and then the L3 sword on phase 2.

Nov 20, 2011 at 4:36 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Tpcool said:
And ah tink thread was already created on this!

I looked through two pages and couldn't find it if there is one.

Nov 20, 2011 at 5:38 AM
Hey.
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
I got to the Sacred Grounds and have tried hundreds of times to beat it but I JUST CAN'T. Farthest I've gotten is the Heavy Press.

Nov 20, 2011 at 6:24 AM
Melon Lord
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Ollie said:
I got to the Sacred Grounds and have tried hundreds of times to beat it but I JUST CAN'T. Farthest I've gotten is the Heavy Press.

Pretty much how my Hard Mode Playthrough went.

Nov 20, 2011 at 7:04 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I managed to get to the Sanctuary, both in the Wii version and while testing the CS+ beta. I've pretty much admitted to myself that I'll never be able to beat that level with so little health, no matter how many times I try. If you take your time, it's not that bad for a while after you get past the falling blocks room, but good lord, getting past that is a drain. The farthest I got in there was the room before Heavy Press (where there would be the missile expansion chest), but then I got sniped by an arrow and my motivation was shot.

Before Sanctuary, though, it's really not that hard besides the bosses. It's a test of your patience more than anything else. The hardest bosses, I thought, were Monster X, the Core, and the boss rush before the Sanctuary. With all the bosses though, playing them with so little room for error made me realize that I didn't understand their attack patterns as intricately as I thought I did. In that respect, playing hard mode was a lot of fun.

When I first played hard mode on the Wii, I tried holding out for the Spur, and managed to get to the Core with just the Polar Star. But that fight proved to be a brick wall and I reluctantly went back for the Snake. But that made the battle a piece of cake in comparison.

Nov 20, 2011 at 7:28 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I got to the Sacred Grounds and have tried hundreds of times to beat it but I JUST CAN'T. Farthest I've gotten is the Heavy Press
How did you get that far in the sanctuary? Don't you need 5 hp to pass the first room?

Nov 20, 2011 at 7:42 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Nov 20, 2011 at 7:51 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
This'll sound retarded, but I got up to monster-X and i'm having fairly good results using the Fireball to take out the bottom two green thingers. You just back your ass into the corner, aim up and spam. Then I switch to the sword for the rest.

It's not really that hard, it's more frustrating due to the fact that 90% of your time is spent covering the same ground again and again each time you die.

Bmlee97 said:
How did you get that far in the sanctuary? Don't you need 5 hp to pass the first room?
I thought you were supposed to pass through the first room taking zero damage? Whenever I took damage in that room (on normal mode) I would just kill myself and then started over.

Nov 24, 2011 at 3:27 AM
"Huzzah!"
This is the hard mode for the 3ds, but On my first try against monster X I got to his second form. About sixth try (Including dying on the way there) I beat it.