What do you think?

• Total voters
May 8, 2021 at 5:01 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Yeah, this port has some potential. The developer is in the CSMC server, actually. Quote_02 (Raichu) is their username.

I know Skittles also has a regular GB port in development as well, but I'm not sure if that's been shelved or not. They make some very cute art, tho.
omg thankyou :3 made an account just now cause i saw this thread can confirm i have canceled my version of the demake, as well as LUNA. the project i am working on now is called "Repugnant Bounty". I will post a discord link to the server. If you join, there is a downloadable ROM file for my version (as far as it was developed, at least) in the #welcome channel for those interested.

long live the mimiga

May 13, 2021 at 2:35 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Firstly, the Game Boy uses 8x8 tiles, but it can only have 192 of them loaded per map. Cave Story tiles are 16x16, meaning 1 Cave Story tile is 4 8x8 tiles. It is impossible to have Cave Story maps on Game Boy without reducing the tile count, or heck, descale all the 16x16 tiles to 8x8.
I feel the need to note that between two vram banks on the gbc you have 512 8x8 tiles to play with (if you intend to dump non-colour compatibility and go full gbc), and if you draw text (I recomment implementing vwf) instead of mapping it then you will only need 36 tiles for a message box text buffer instead of wasting a quarter of your available tiles on an fwf font. CS on the gbc would most likely be possible if you are smart about it, but you would need more flexibility than what GB Studio would offer you to make it. Though I might recommend downsizing the tiles in cs from 16x16 to 8x8 anyway so that you are less likely to run into sprite limitations (max sprites per scanline), and so that the player can see more on the screen.

May 13, 2021 at 5:29 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I feel the need to note that between two vram banks on the gbc you have 512 8x8 tiles to play with (if you intend to dump non-colour compatibility and go full gbc), and if you draw text (I recomment implementing vwf) instead of mapping it then you will only need 36 tiles for a message box text buffer instead of wasting a quarter of your available tiles on an fwf font. CS on the gbc would most likely be possible if you are smart about it, but you would need more flexibility than what GB Studio would offer you to make it. Though I might recommend downsizing the tiles in cs from 16x16 to 8x8 anyway so that you are less likely to run into sprite limitations (max sprites per scanline), and so that the player can see more on the screen.
That's probably a more long term project. I'm currently working on games for more hi-end platforms, but I might come back to CSGBC later...

May 16, 2021 at 2:59 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Contributing to spammy posting (off-topic, lack of content, etc)
That's probably a more long term project. I'm currently working on games for more hi-end platforms, but I might come back to CSGBC later...
POG!

Jan 17, 2024 at 9:56 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Isn't the point of making a GB demake working with the limitations in order to make it work? And it's been proven multiple times that Cave Story music can be done with only 4 channels, even less!

Here's hoping Skittles is still working on their demake...
skittles has rebooted development with lots more experience in gb studio and is confident they can get the job done for realzies this time

Jan 18, 2024 at 4:16 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
skittles has rebooted development with lots more experience in gb studio and is confident they can get the job done for realzies this time
Best of luck to you! GB Studio is a lot of fun IMO, regardless of the rather silly limitations it has.

Your demake has improved by a lot from what I've seen.

Jan 21, 2024 at 11:34 AM
Too bad the video is unavailable, any progress on the project?

Jan 23, 2024 at 10:11 PM
Too bad the video is unavailable, any progress on the project?
Yeah, this was an old project of mine. It's been cancelled for years.

Jan 26, 2024 at 12:34 AM
Yeah, this was an old project of mine. It's been cancelled for years.
Yeah... kind of figured from the dates. Sad to hear that and good luck with your current projects!