Cave Story: Gauntlet

Dec 15, 2011 at 1:16 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
"Cave Story: Gauntlet" is my first mod of Cave Story. I chose the title because I couldn't think of a better one. It is meant to be harder than the original. Please tell me if it is.
Release on 12/31/2011
Beta 4 added on 12/28/2011
Beta 3 added on 12/22/2011
Beta 2 added on 12/16/2011

Download link:
Release version
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53422105/cavestorygauntletrelease.zip

Betas
Beta 4
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53422105/cavestorygauntletbeta4.zip Ends after Last Cave.

Beta 3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53422105/cavestorygauntletbeta3.zip Ends after Outer Wall.

Beta 2
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53422105/cavestorygauntletbeta2.zip Ends after Monster X.

Beta 1
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53422105/cavestorygauntletbeta1.zip Ends after the Sand Zone.

Dec 15, 2011 at 1:47 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Aaaaalright, finished it.

First off, you should always fix the bugs in your mod before the release :koron: While I guess telling the player to save rather than letting them figure out on their own is better, you should have probably made sure they got their weapon either way. So the mod is pretty short, and it's pretty much a slightly edited version of Cave Story without most of the cut scenes. And by the way, if the game has no story in it, you should probably remove all the cut scenes and move straight into the boss battle :p
And on the subject of whether or not it was harder, hmmm... not really! The First Cave was short and easy (just enemies and not many spikes, IIRC), the Egg Corridor almost totally mimicked that of the original game, Grasstown was slightly edited, and the Sand Zone was pretty short. I guess the only thing giving this mod a little length was the boss fights. Heh.

Overall, it was a small, yet entertaining mod. I do recommend you fix it up though, it needs work! :mrgreen:
But yeah, if you manage to fix it, it'd be a fun play.

Dec 15, 2011 at 1:56 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thanks for the suggestions. I know I have barely started the Egg Corrridor and Grasstown. I'm going to get right to work!

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:52 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Dec 18, 2011 at 7:08 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Okey dokey... I like how you fixed the weapon glitch. The boss battles also flowed much faster with the useless dialogue cut out. But besides that and the added Labyrinth, it's pretty much the same. I still think you should remove a few things, such as being able to get the ID Card (just because it's pointless to obtain it in the first place), and maybe some a less glitchy script. Like in the Curly Battle, she kinda teleported across the room right before you versed her. This becomes more apparent when I entered the Labyrinth, the camera seemed to be all over the place and I had no idea what was going on! Also in Grasstown, when you leave the save room, you hear a text-box sound, which indicates you called the wrong event when you enter Grasstown again...

...Anyways, good job! :D

Dec 19, 2011 at 1:11 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The ID card will be useful in the next beta. Also, the opening of the labyrinth used to bug more.

Dec 24, 2011 at 5:07 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
I has played new Beta.

Seriously not much to comment about here... just that the maps are getting better (the level design) and I only encountered a few other problems. First of all, the teleporter (in the Labyrinth) is sorta glitchy, because when you enter or come out of it, your character seems to disappear among maybe other things. The Egg Corridor? was designed pretty well, except that you don't have the Booster at that point, so at some parts if you destroy the spikes you are supposed to climb up you can't progress. And the Outer Wall... just cut down on the enemies and maybe add some kind of unique design (the presses were a good start). But seriously. The enemies.
gauntlet.png
Things were starting to disappear! :koron:

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:16 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thanks for more of your helpful criticism. I do like the swarms of enemies, so I might put them in as a bonus challenge or something. The point was actually to avoid them. The problem with giving the booster at the Egg Corridor? is that it ruins the part wth the spikes at them bottom, so I'll just fix the spikes. Also, I think I know how I messed up the teleporter.

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:09 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Welp, it was really short. The plantation had its fair share of useless points, such as this:
gauntlet-1.png
Not a big deal, but you could've just closed up the bridge entirely instead of just putting a wall of blocks. :p
Nothing else wrong though, the design was fine. The Last Cave felt like... the same exact thing but with more spikes and acid/lava drops. Nothing really changed overall, I guess. The bonus challenge was mindless fun blasting away enemies, that's probably the best way I can describe it. :p

And so I assume the last version will be the final version, which'll just be an edit of Hell, I guess?

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:19 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'm going to make major changes to the Last Cave and Plantation.

Jan 2, 2012 at 1:53 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Alrighty, I played it from start to finish to see what has changed :o
It looks like you cleaned it up nicely, fixed up some glitches, and made some nice level additions. The ending was preeeeety much just the final boss run and then a slightly edited version of Hell, which I'm cool with.
I don't really see the point of the sped up version of 'Running Hell', though. Oh yeah, the added music was nice too. The Beast Fang challenge was a fine distraction that was pretty fun. I dare say I enjoyed it! I guess that's about it then, congrats on finishing!