Cave Story.. Flash

Feb 1, 2015 at 10:28 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
2DBro said:
Does [LINK REMOVED] count
This is the "illegal" version, so no, it doesn't. And yes, I did edit out your link from the quote.

Feb 1, 2015 at 10:46 AM
zxin said:
Why did you do that? I'll take a guess and say: to stop more people from playing it?
Yep. Also, the more instances of links can push results higher in Google.

Feb 1, 2015 at 3:42 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Okies, I did *hic* some reading on this.

Technical issues.
Windows and Mac get latest flash. Linux gets flash up to 11.2(plus security updates) unless Chrome is used(PPAPI plugin). Same linux restrictions apply to mobile versions of flash(not that you'd want to play CS on a touchscreen. No offense, touchscreens suck when it comes to emulating hardware buttons, capacitive and resistive alike). So you can cross out mobile, buttonless platforms from the start(unless you have masochistic players).
Now, let's look at Alchemy and CrossBridge/FlashCC.
Alchemy was released as developer preview. It compiles with flash 10 opcodes, is unsupported by Adobe. Furthermore, Alchemy is rumoured to do ok with C and play poorly with C++(NXEngine is C++).
FlashCC/CrossBridge compiles to later flash versions.
Looking at the already available flash version of CS with hex editor, I see FWS 0x14. That means that, according to this chart, respective flash was compiled for version 11.7, with CrossBridge(sorry Alchemy).
q3hardcore said:
The only real point I can think of is it would make it possible for more people to play.
However, I think most of those people probably shouldn't be able to.
Putting the above together, Linux and mobile users get short end of stick here.

Next. Licensing issues.
q3hardcore said:
So my question is this, can someone please make a legal version of Cave Story in Flash?
From what I understand, Pixel sold CS Intellectual Property to Nicalis(feel free to correct me here).
Now, thanks to flash's convenient swf container(eat your heart out HTML5), such a file will be spread on the Internet much like one would spread an image, or a gif, or a webm. If people like the flash, they will repost it. And there are many flash-centered places to do so(4chan/f/ and the likes, for one).
These places will likely have their own ads. This might not play well with Nicalis' licensing of CS the moment a swf of the game spawns in respective places.

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:13 AM
passing_by said:
Next. Licensing issues.
From what I understand, Pixel sold CS Intellectual Property to Nicalis(feel free to correct me here).
Now, thanks to flash's convenient swf container(eat your heart out HTML5), such a file will be spread on the Internet much like one would spread an image, or a gif, or a webm. If people like the flash, they will repost it. And there are many flash-centered places to do so(4chan/f/ and the likes, for one).
These places will likely have their own ads. This might not play well with Nicalis' licensing of CS the moment a swf of the game spawns in respective places.
This is the biggest issue I see. So I think it would be best to have the assets in a separate file.

EDIT: This project is stalled indefinitely. If I can get "FlasCC_1.0.1.zip" I'll probably resume working on it.