Cave Story FanArt

Dec 16, 2021 at 12:04 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
i have been outputting a quite frankly concerning amount of cave story fanart ever since i properly fell into the fandom around 2018 but somehow kept forgetting to post it here

so... here's some recent stuff!

i don't really know the culture around self-promo here/whether it's acceptable or not so i'll just say that if you wanna see more my twitter is linked on my account here

ELI I LOVE YOUR MISERY ART

The other drawings are also p good but goddamn i love that mis

Dec 16, 2021 at 12:19 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
That's some pretty nice art, Eli. I especially like that drawing of Quote, Sue, and Kazuma. I guess they're dressed for the winter. Anything backstory in mind for Sue being in human form again? Or did it just feel like the thing to draw?

Dec 16, 2021 at 6:58 AM
"Huzzah!"
Anything backstory in mind for Sue being in human form again?
not particularly, outside of vaguely basing her outfit on the one i came up with for my previous mod, festive quest - i was gonna draw her as a mimiga but decided i wanted to try drawing her human form with the new brush i've been using :V

Dec 17, 2021 at 7:40 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
aw sick cave stotry fanart!! discussion
I'mma archive some of my favorites here!!

there's a wii u homebrew port of the game that has a banner/icon but it's just a mahin sprite so I made my own !!!
hand-drawn.png
uh . i was held at gunpoint or "knife-point" as they say in britain
balrog wats dis.png
quote sittin man.png
mf.png
quote and curly sittin.png
lotsa items.png
old but I still think it's pre decent!
cemetry.png
old shite
also quote has curly hair, thought the dude was a girl o_o
ohh yeah!.png

Dec 17, 2021 at 8:51 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"

there's a wii u homebrew port of the game that has a banner/icon but it's just a mahin sprite so I made my own !!!
View attachment 8070
uh . i was held at gunpoint or "knife-point" as they say in britain
View attachment 8071
old but I still think it's pre decent!
View attachment 8077
old shite
also quote has curly hair, thought the dude was a girl o_o
View attachment 8076
Woah man, this is really good.
Definitely a lot of improvement.
I really love when people try and emulate some of the old concept art and you did a bang up job if that's what your intention was.
Keep It Up!

Dec 17, 2021 at 2:30 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Woah man, this is really good.
Definitely a lot of improvement.
I really love when people try and emulate some of the old concept art and you did a bang up job if that's what your intention was.
Keep It Up!
It kinda was, yeah! Although I try to put a bit of my flare if my style is a lot like a style I'm inspired by!!
Thank you btw!!

Dec 17, 2021 at 10:01 PM
Based Member
I agree, those are pretty good. I especially like the "cool robot + ghost cat" one that has Quote sitting on the edge of what is presumably the Outer Wall. I really like the detail on Quote's face and body. It does a really good job of capturing that quiet and sometimes easily annoyed aspect of Quote's personality that I've long inferred from the credit art images.

Dec 18, 2021 at 2:53 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I agree, those are pretty good. I especially like the "cool robot + ghost cat" one that has Quote sitting on the edge of what is presumably the Outer Wall. I really like the detail on Quote's face and body. It does a really good job of capturing that quiet and sometimes easily annoyed aspect of Quote's personality that I've long inferred from the credit art images.
Thank you! I tried pfft

Dec 19, 2021 at 4:12 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Its ok!
I think it looks nice, however, the dithering on the background might be too much imo
It looks kinda noisy.
Ok is good! I'll have to experiment more with my backgrounds. I should probably used different colors for them; they'll look nicer that way. By the way, nice Misery art. I really like the experimental styles you're going for. Makes me wish it wasn't just misery :c

i have been outputting a quite frankly concerning amount of cave story fanart ever since i properly fell into the fandom around 2018 but somehow kept forgetting to post it here
Wow, you're a good artist. I like the the one with Sue, Kazuma, and Quote too. Hope to see more from you in the future, preferably on this thread.

I really like how you draw Quote. Might have to reference it at some point. I'm also a sucker for sketchy art styles, so they're my favorites too.

The one thing is that even though it's a lot more obvious now that Chinfish is in a bucket, the blend between Chinfish and the bucket doesn't look very natural.

I really like this one. Santa's body looks pretty good, but something about his eye seems off. I'm having trouble telling if he's nervous or frustrated.
That bucket will be the death of me... Also yeah, I don't know either. Thought it looked nice but I didn't really know what I wanted him to feel. In any case, thanks for your input. It really helps me along.

I'm surprised so many artists started to show their work all of a sudden. I wish I had something to show right now to push it along, but I got really sidetracked. Here's hoping this thread stays as lively as this in the coming holidays.

Dec 19, 2021 at 5:21 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I really like how you draw Quote. Might have to reference it at some point. I'm also a sucker for sketchy art styles, so they're my favorites too.
Hey thanks man! I also love sketch drawings!! I will gladly dig my own grave if it means coloring it

Dec 23, 2021 at 11:20 PM
I come with another piece!
Toroko 1.png

Here it is, Toroko and a a little bit of my own interpretation of what Arthur may look like. I wanted to do some kind of a vague silhouette thing for Arthur, but I felt compelled to add detail.
Spent way too long with the backgrounds on this one. Rocks are really hard to draw right, but I think it turned out well enough.
Also, I'd be happy to see other designs for our dead hero.

Dec 23, 2021 at 11:48 PM
Based Member
That's really good. The backgrounds, the landscape, the Mimigas, it's all really good. The detail on Toroko's jacket or whatever she's wearing is very impressive. Something about the way you drew Arthur's hair, eyes, and mouth makes me think of Asriel from Undertale. But I guess if you've played both Cave Story and Undertale, then it's kind of hard not think that Mimigas and boss monsters resemble each other.

My only complaint would have to be that if I didn't know any better, I would probably think Toroko is a boy based on that picture. Maybe something could be changed to make it more obvious that she's a girl, but I'm not quite sure what.

Dec 24, 2021 at 2:11 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hers a quick little doodle of beta Su- that I drew on Cave Story's 17 birthday.

Excuse the sloppy handwriting.

1640311750122.png

Dec 24, 2021 at 2:17 AM
"Huzzah!"
oh, that's super cute, orbit! great job with the background too, and nice colours overall!
coincidentally i did draw my take on an arthur design recently (based off of a design in a mod of mine which in itself was vaguely based off of something nicalis tweeted once)
1640311996961.png

& while looking for that one i found another go at his design a while ago from a drawpile (all other art in this image is mine)
1640312115470.png

and that's a nice su too, you got her design down pretty well, especially for a quick doodle!

Dec 24, 2021 at 2:39 AM
Based Member

Excuse the sloppy handwriting.

View attachment 8105
Not bad. That drawing is simple, but cute.

oh, that's super cute, orbit! great job with the background too, and nice colours overall!
coincidentally i did draw my take on an arthur design recently (based off of a design in a mod of mine which in itself was vaguely based off of something nicalis tweeted once)
View attachment 8106

& while looking for that one i found another go at his design a while ago from a drawpile (all other art in this image is mine)
View attachment 8107
Those pictures of Arthur look like they're kind of heavily based off of King (which is generally hard for many artists not to do). I'm guessing the red eyes are inspired by King? I like that first drawing a little bit better, since it brings out that brotherly aspect of Arthur a bit more, and he looks a bit less like King than in the 2nd picture.

Lol, what's with the critter with legs in the 2nd picture?

Dec 24, 2021 at 2:57 AM
"Huzzah!"
yeah, since the running theory of the flowers in arthur's house implying he also ate cooked red flowers - he's meant to be wearing a jumper as opposed to robes like king, but i drew the hem too low (also seem to have gone for robes in the 2nd, for whatever reason?) so i can see where you're coming from.

also tried to give him fluffy rounder ears and a fringe like toroko, but a bit more grown out since he's older (hc is very late teens or young adult vs toroko being around prepubescent age).

Lol, what's with the critter with legs in the 2nd picture?

i think it was a reference to a balrog sprite i drew ages ago, when i gave up on trying to get his legs right and just gave him huge beefy tree trunks because if i couldn't get it to look nice, i might as well make it look funny

Jan 2, 2022 at 5:57 AM
Didn't get to draw all that much during the holiday week, so I have only this to show:
Christmas 1.png
I got around to playing the Secret Santa game and thought it was good to draw. Though, creativity somewhat staggered, I did what I could with the piece. I'll also get the hang of composition someday

Thanks, and I like your take on Arthur. They look big and fluffy.

That's really good. The backgrounds, the landscape, the Mimigas, it's all really good. The detail on Toroko's jacket or whatever she's wearing is very impressive. Something about the way you drew Arthur's hair, eyes, and mouth makes me think of Asriel from Undertale. But I guess if you've played both Cave Story and Undertale, then it's kind of hard not think that Mimigas and boss monsters resemble each other.

My only complaint would have to be that if I didn't know any better, I would probably think Toroko is a boy based on that picture. Maybe something could be changed to make it more obvious that she's a girl, but I'm not quite sure what.
Thank you for all the praise. I was never all that fond of Undertale, so I guess I'm lucky in that regard.
I can kinda see what you're talking about when it comes to Toroko's boyish features, but it's difficult to see what I can do to change it. I'll see if I can be more aware of it in my future drawings.

Nice. It's very clean for a doodle.

Jan 2, 2022 at 6:49 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Didn't get to draw all that much during the holiday week, so I have only this to show:
I got around to playing the Secret Santa game and thought it was good to draw. Though, creativity somewhat staggered, I did what I could with the piece. I'll also get the hang of composition someday
That's a great piece! I like how you use dark, desaturated colours to denote the background, and the contrast with the bright and colorful foreground focus with Santa. You have a very unique way of shading your pixel art, too, it's pretty neat!

Jan 2, 2022 at 6:06 PM
Based Member
I like the detail on Santa's clothing and the setup you have for the scene. I concur with Baka about the nice contrast of foreground and background lighting.

Although, this picture seems a bit blocky in some areas. Santa's eyes and ears seem blocky. I like the touch of Balrog outside in the background. If you really wanted to go the extra mile, I feel like you could have added more texture to the floor, but that's a minor nitpick.

Jan 5, 2022 at 3:20 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
a simple Quote drawing I made when I was bored (I think it looks decent for something done without too much commitment lol)
p376692-0-unknown.png

Last edited: