Cave Story Comic - For REAL

Nov 30, 2006 at 4:37 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Cave Story Comic - RELEASED! Teaser Comic up!

lets talk on msn: efraim@f-ram.net
if you can help

and please dont show too many of your friends this super secret access to the behind the scenes of the project
there wouldn't be any point. work on it with me and when its done show your friends. common. dont be like that yo.

------

Okay. I've looked threw the Mods section and there is some SERIOUS discussions on some SERIOUS projects
(hmmm i wonder why their all on the mods section...)

but your all doing prequels and stuff

im working on what we all know. a comic about the story.

and i need your help on it. lets make this together.

here is a draft (its like a script but sketchy panels to go with them) of issue one.

look over the dialog and imagery.

here are some discussion topics:

- whats on quotes hat?
- was the 3rd human
- how the Research Team landed

etc

the site is here:
http://f-ram.net/cavestory/draft

its updated all the time seeing as how im working on the final pages.

i will give my support to your projects in return. expect intensive feed backs soon as im still reading threw all your threads.

Nov 30, 2006 at 8:07 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Just wanted to say it looks awesome :)))) And I'll try to look over all of it when I get a chance!

Cave Story Comics! yes!!!

"- whats on quotes hat?
- was the 3rd human
- how the Research Team landed"

My quick response to these ...
------I don't know what's on his hat ;)

------I'd think logically it's real safe to assume the 3rd was human... [Some say he looks like an ape! But, first off the robots invaded because the countries were after the Demon Crown~ So they sent the robots to find it~ and at last they found it and I'd imagine one of the leaders of the expedition? Or from the looks of it someone in charge... It'd be pretty twisted if after devoting all of their resources into getting the Demon Crown, a giant ape steals it and wears it. ............................. lol the only other explanation I can think of right now if you're dying to make him an ape... The crown bearer WAS human, but something happened and after wearing the crown for a while it began to devolve him... or change him.

Sounds reasonable, but is that really the path I think that happened? Quite an interesting alternative though!

If you're stuck on that idea :p uh... We should look at the doctor; he was normal Until he was wounded, then ... was it the crystal? or the crown that changed him into that beast? Could be both...! Interesting possibilty; But also take in the fact that the statue maker probably would carve the Crown Bearer when he was sane... Although once again it depends on if Curly and Quote perhaps wounded him right away after he got ahold of the Crown.

Although I'd probably say no, since there's the whole and "then the real tragedy began" thing where he controlled the Mimiga to attack the surface... But those are just the facts? I'd say either way is possible :p

... I can argue with myself all day ;) Good point!

----Finally, how the Research team landed... In the game, the helicopter was .. broken? in front of the castle area;
So it's possible that's where they initally landed, or the Doctor took the helicopter to that place; or it was moved later; to move something then broken purposely
... [the helicopter does say it's broken when you first pass it right? I can't recall]

Guess the only thing I can say for sure is they landed on the surface :)

EDIT: and one more note on the 3rd guy;
That explanation about the demon crown changing them over time could be used to explain the reptile/demon looking crown bearers; But, then again besides this far reach, is there any evidence to suggest this in the game? I'll have to replay it to really decide :o

Nov 30, 2006 at 10:39 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
ok i see what your saying but remember this is a fantasy game
there is definitely a lot of hints to show that humans don't only inhabit the world

suuuree Kazumas team are all human but Booster is American (small joke)

The frog doctors and those termite looking shop keepers and stuff.
There is a good chance there are a lot of civilized none human humanoids on Earth

And comparing the Thirds statue to the other Human sprites- he's huge!
And I say Ballos made the statues. They are in Hell. But i'm just saying that to stir the pot.

I duno. He looks alien like to me. But he might as well be human... if only I can contact Pixel.

um.. Oh i had this theory with the 3rd. Here is a brief history i wrote a while back. its wrong but its spicy:

A long long long time ago a floating island appeared over Earth. Over time the many species of earth inhabited the island but none more than the Mimigas.

Thousands of years later or a few hundred years ago, there was a war between the island and earth. The war was run by a man in a crown. He used his powers to attack Earth. Earth attacked back and he and his crown were destroyed. He was the First, and he went down in history as a powerful sorcerer in a funny hat.

Years later, the crown came back and with it the Second Evil and another war was waged. He found a way to turn the Mimigas into monsters. He used these monsters to fight against earth. He kicked their ass, millions were killed. Earth realized that it was the crown that gave the First and Second their power! So they tried to kill the Second and take the crown but the crown was lost when the Second was finally destroyed.

Earth knew the helmet was a source of great power to any life who wore it- so they built and sent hundreds of robots to find the crown. The robots killed and destroyed everything that got in their way until they found the crown. The moment they found it, all robots shut themselves down and laid there asleep, their mission being done.

Earth then chose someone of pure heart to wear it, hoping to do good with the power. This is when they realized that the real source of the evil was the crown the whole time. And so, the Third was born.

Earth was yet again attacked by the Mimiga Monsters and the Third War was waged. They sent two robots, Quote and Curly Brace, with a different mission. Program not to find but destroy the crown. With the help of the Mimigas and others, they destroyed the Third Evil and the crown.

Before the Third feel, something happened and both Curly Brace and Quote got knocked out and lost their memories. Though, like the robots before them- when their mission was done by someone else, they just shut down and slept in stillness.

It wasn’t till two weeks ago when the Docotor came looking for the crown. The Docotor realized something. He knew the island regenerated the crown. He realized the First’s crown was destroyed but came back with the Second. And the Third wore the Seconds crown so no one noticed. He knew it would eventually regenerate so he searched the island for it.

He found it. Quote and Curly both woke up, not knowing why. The Fourth was born and so came with him, the Fourth Great War.​

Nov 30, 2006 at 11:12 AM
Been here way too long...
"..."
The statues are actually made by the tree guy whenever someone new takes the crown, rather than Ballos, so yar.

I like the comic, but I think it moves too fast in the beginning. Specifically the page where it goes from flying over the island, to having gotten off the helicopter, to the Doctor sneaking off in three frames. It's your comic, and you can do what you want, but if I had your drawing skill, I'd spend a little time at the beginning introducing the human characters(And having them meet some of the Mimigas that would alter be on the Plantation.) before having the Doctor sneak off.

Nov 30, 2006 at 12:54 PM
yah we had that scene scripted
well a few
one was just start with the doctor breaking into to the throne room
not knowing who or where he is (why i cut it)

then we got one introducing the whole team. them talking. looking threw runes around the island then suddenly the doctor sneaks off. pretty much exactly what you suggested but intros shouldn't answer all or most of the questions it asks.

This intro moves slow at first then fast. Its not a Manga after all. But it starts slow. Each panel increases the time flow by half. So its like a beating drum. Starts slow then faster and faster and bam! I think it works pretty well.

You got to think "i got to write this for people who don't know what cave story is" and "let me critically think of everything i ~ADD~." the first part explains itself the second is more difficult.
if i add too much then i might as well call it something else. Hence, showing too much of the research team wouldn't be Cave Story anymore. It's a balance and it's fun. Like the bat and the critter you see when you get the Polar Star. I made a pretty funny scene with them. Originally I had the Gunsmith Hermit find Quote and talk to him and stuff. But then i thought of the 2nd part and realized "This isn't the material" I need to, as a director, think of a way to say the story. Bending it to fit my theories isnt directing its cheating.

Its like dramatic documenting. I don't want to reimagine Cave Story (i originally did) i want to tell Cave Story as a comic.

am i making sense? im gonna go to bed.

Nov 30, 2006 at 8:20 PM
"..."
My thinking is that if someone is new to Cave Story they would want to know a bit more, although I can see how you'd do this if you wanted to keep it more or less like the game.

Dec 1, 2006 at 12:40 AM
"..."
Looking over the rest of the comic, it looks pretty good. I especially like the Kazuma breaks. I guess that'll balance out the abruptness of the beginning.

Question - is the entire comic going to be in black and white or are you going to go back and color it?

Dec 1, 2006 at 6:31 AM
black and white

very much like Bone

cave story reminds me a lot of Bone so Im working that in a lot

i might find a colorist though but its not an issue.

Dec 4, 2006 at 2:51 AM
"..."
I REALLY like the site design.

Dec 4, 2006 at 7:44 AM
tell your friends!
im really excited for the project! ;)

im making a Japaneses version of the site now for Pixel
;)