Cave Story: Ashes to Ashes

Dec 31, 2007 at 3:26 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Hello, everyone.

In the forum i frequent, i posted a thread about this game, explaining my reasons, ect. Many people joined the project, and we managed to throw together a first level. Now, we're struggling with the code. We've searched everywhere for tutorials, maybe even a FAQ that could shed some light onto the coding problems. When i first started the project, i found this forum, and i downloaded a few files to help me get started. Now, looking back on this place, i can see loads of fan made sequels. I searched around, and rather complicated advice was being given out, so i ignored it.

Now that we've hit a dead end, we have no place to turn but here. We need help, and project members. Most of the project work is logged here, but we mostly carry the direct work live over MSN.

Can any of you guys help us?

Monty

Dec 31, 2007 at 4:04 AM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Mr Montmorency said:
Hello, everyone.

In the forum i frequent, i posted a thread about this game, explaining my reasons, ect. Many people joined the project, and we managed to throw together a first level. Now, we're struggling with the code. We've searched everywhere for tutorials, maybe even a FAQ that could shed some light onto the coding problems. When i first started the project, i found this forum, and i downloaded a few files to help me get started. Now, looking back on this place, i can see loads of fan made sequels. I searched around, and rather complicated advice was being given out, so i ignored it.

Now that we've hit a dead end, we have no place to turn but here. We need help, and project members. Most of the project work is logged here, but we mostly carry the direct work live over MSN.

Can any of you guys help us?

Monty

Sorry but I don't really know you... I think i joined after you left... or did you leave...? I dunno o.o

Dec 31, 2007 at 4:08 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I registered an hour ago.

Dec 31, 2007 at 5:21 AM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
You stole my old "MyChar.pbm" from Crowned Witch. Not a nice thing, atleast you could have asked me.

Dec 31, 2007 at 5:51 AM
Guy with Sword
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Interesting map you have there.
First of all, are you using Sue's? I can't find it anymore on this forum, but it's what most Cave Story modders use.

Dec 31, 2007 at 6:19 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Okay so I downloaded the beta version 0.4, and not to be rude or anything, but I can see how you've been having trouble. >.>; Tell you what, send me a PM detailing what the opening scene and the first areas should be doing, and I'll do my best to point you in the right direction.

Dec 31, 2007 at 7:20 AM
Luls
Mr Montmorency said:
I registered an hour ago.

Hm... Kager would probably like... you know... do the usual stuff on you... like he does on everyone else... o.o

Dec 31, 2007 at 8:03 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Metalogz said:
Hm... Kager would probably like... you know... do the usual stuff on you... like he does on everyone else... o.o

What do you mean by that? You mean I should rape him, kill him, rape him again, and then eat his costume like I do with all the other failures?

All figuratively, of course.

Dec 31, 2007 at 8:46 AM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
You stole my old "MyChar.pbm" from Crowned Witch. Not a nice thing, atleast you could have asked me.
No shit Sherlock. What is it with people not asking for permission before using something? Hell, if this was on another forum I frequent, you'd probably get warned for sprite theft.
Code? No shit, its called scripting. Coding would be a language called C++ or something else.
Stop being so damned bias to him. Hell, get to know him or just ignore him, its that simple.
---
And I take it you don't have the TSC file, which explains all the functions. :/

Dec 31, 2007 at 9:09 AM
Luls
Kageryushin said:
What do you mean by that? You mean I should rape him, kill him, rape him again, and then eat his costume like I do with all the other failures?

All figuratively, of course.

YAY THIS COULD BE THE FIRST TIME I CHEER FOR YOU <:

jcys810 said:
Stop being so damned bias to him. Hell, get to know him or just ignore him, its that simple.

Omfg I'm joking dammit wth?

Dec 31, 2007 at 9:17 AM
Justin-chan
Omfg I'm joking dammit wth?
Oh wow, my post wasn't even meant to be taken seriously.

Dec 31, 2007 at 9:21 AM
Luls
jcys810 said:
Oh wow, my post wasn't even meant to be taken seriously.

Oh wow mine too.

Dec 31, 2007 at 9:41 AM
Justin-chan
Oh wow mine too.
[c=4]~*Metalogz*~[/c=48]*{has run away} says (5:11 PM):
Goddamm you take things too seriously
[c=4]~*Metalogz*~[/c=48]*{has run away} says (5:11 PM):
you know how I am
I see. Hmhmhm.

Dec 31, 2007 at 1:09 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Hey, SPG, he's as old as you were when you started CS modding. Shouldn't you extend a paternal hand to aid this young'un?
After all, it's not easy to fend for yourself in this harsh "nerd forum", as it were.

I'm sorry, I jest.

So, what kind of help do you need, mr M?
I'm feelin' generous, and have got the hat to prove it.

Dec 31, 2007 at 3:52 PM
S. P. Gardebiter said:

We were going to credit you on the final version. Don't worry about it, we've altered the sprite for version 0.5. We were going to import the sprite the file came from ourselves, but when we saw the crowned witch, we noticed you did the same thing, so we took yours to save time. We've changed the sprite now, though.

Atravir said:
Interesting map you have there.
First of all, are you using Sue's? I can't find it anymore on this forum, but it's what most Cave Story modders use.

Yes, we use Sue's Workshop. I found it someplace on the forum, and i sent the link to the project members.

DoubleThink said:
Okay so I downloaded the beta version 0.4, and not to be rude or anything, but I can see how you've been having trouble. >.>; Tell you what, send me a PM detailing what the opening scene and the first areas should be doing, and I'll do my best to point you in the right direction.

Well, we deleted the opening cutscene for our storyline, and the screen goes black. We have to start the game using a profile.dat that skip past the it. In the first areas, we plan to have a large town full of mimigas, remnescent of Dead Rising, struggling to live and stuff like that. We are working on the bonus level at the moment, where you can reach a Mega Capsule, which has a 50hp bonus. We're getting suggestions from OMGWTF?! forum members on how the story should go, but they can't come up with anything.

jcys810 said:
And I take it you don't have the TSC file, which explains all the functions. :/

...We do. We just don't know how to implement them into the game, or how they work with other functions.

So, what kind of help do you need, mr M?
I'm feelin' generous, and have got the hat to prove it.

To be frank, we need project members who could code at least half of the time. We need boss coders, advanced coders and some people who know how to sprite effectively.

If any of you have the time... we do too.

Cheers!

Dec 31, 2007 at 4:53 PM
Luls
Mr Montmorency said:
We were going to credit you on the final version. Don't worry about it, we've altered the sprite for version 0.5. We were going to import the sprite the file came from ourselves, but when we saw the crowned witch, we noticed you did the same thing, so we took yours to save time. We've changed the sprite now, though.

Yes, we use Sue's Workshop. I found it someplace on the forum, and i sent the link to the project members.

Well, we deleted the opening cutscene for our storyline, and the screen goes black. We have to start the game using a profile.dat that skip past the it. In the first areas, we plan to have a large town full of mimigas, remnescent of Dead Rising, struggling to live and stuff like that. We are working on the bonus level at the moment, where you can reach a Mega Capsule, which has a 50hp bonus. We're getting suggestions from OMGWTF?! forum members on how the story should go, but they can't come up with anything.

...We do. We just don't know how to implement them into the game, or how they work with other functions.

To be frank, we need project members who could code at least half of the time. We need boss coders, advanced coders and some people who know how to sprite effectively.

If any of you have the time... we do too.

Cheers!

JCYS810, I CHOOSE YOU! *throws pokeball at the floor*

"Ouch!" screams jcys810 *tumbles on floor with crossed eyes*

"Oh nos!!!" Metalogz screamed, "NO MORE GOOD SPRITER FOR YOU! OH NOS!!!"

*is hyperactive lmao ^^"*

Dec 31, 2007 at 6:05 PM
Hoxtilicious
It's scripting not coding, aslong as you're speaking about the script in for the maps, which is displayed in Sue's. Well, it's NOT harder than javascript.

Our "FAQ" it not olddated or unfinished, we've just got a couple of FAQ's.
You should have read all the stickies in the Tribute Site forum :/ All new member's should do alltough they don't >_> There is a stickie about the "Cave Story FTP".
All FAQ's and so on are stored there:

http://www.cavestory.org/forums/

Orfvar Stöhtkonung said:
Hey, SPG, he's as old as you were when you started CS modding. Shouldn't you extend a paternal hand to aid this young'un?
After all, it's not easy to fend for yourself in this harsh "nerd forum", as it were.

You're right Orfvar, still he could have asked - It's absolutly the same sprite o_o
So I offer you a deal Mr. Montmorency:

I will edit the MyChar.pbm to make it look more "cool" and will join your Project as a "Hacker". That means Coder/Scripter.

If you don't want it's okay, so I would go and edit mine :D Sorry but I don't want it to look "Oh, I have seen this over ninethousand times!" like.

Dec 31, 2007 at 6:10 PM
I'm glad you're interested. I edited the MyChar.pbm a while ago, it looks better now. Well, it's grey now. MSN? We're scripting over that at the moment.

Dec 31, 2007 at 6:32 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Metalogz said:
YAY THIS COULD BE THE FIRST TIME I CHEER FOR YOU <:

You know, unfortunately, there’s a problem here. OP is just far too stupid to make fun of. He‘s overwhelmingly so. His project has absolutely no chance of succeeding no matter how hard he tries. He’s shown himself to be almost entirely deficient in using common Doumono editing programs. Admittedly, I’m not very effective with them either, however, I’m not ignoring my incapacity to use these materials and blindly jumping headfirst into a project like he is. Besides, if I laugh at him too much now, he might leave, and if he leaves, who will I have to laugh at? You?

U C WUT I DID THAR?

S. P. Gardebiter said:
If you don't want it's okay, so I would go and edit mine :D Sorry but I don't want it to look "Oh, I have seen this over ninethousand times!" like.

You think way to narrowly, Shi. If this sprite were to become popular and spread far enough, just think! You’d be famous for making it, no? In any case, your existence is quite ironic, because technically, you’re just taking Pixel’s work and tweaking it a little to make your “own” material. Hypocrite.

Dec 31, 2007 at 6:42 PM
Hoxtilicious
I want my mod something special and it's my decision, I don't know why you always need to post something even if it has nothing to do with you, does it thrill you in some way?
You just should learn to shut up before I delete your posts you stupid troll :D