Cave Story... ...and money?

Oct 4, 2008 at 10:02 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Is it possible to have a money in Cave Story?

Oct 4, 2008 at 4:11 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
i fink...
but im not sure.

Oct 4, 2008 at 7:59 PM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
That'd prolly require more advanced haxxing... at least if you want to have reasonable values for money, otherwise you'd have to make them items and it'd be a bit stupid to only be able to carry around 5 or 10 pieces of money at a time.

Oct 5, 2008 at 9:17 AM
I was thinking about shop system, but...
Anyways, thanks for help.

Oct 7, 2008 at 5:53 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I'm not sure if this game is a direct mod from Cave Story, but it obviously mimics it quite well.

The game is Hack9. Currently in Japanese only, it's Cave Story similarities are crazy, and it implements a money/shop system.

http://www.vector.co.jp/soft/winnt/game/se460397.html

Unfortunately, it's a Vector link, and you'd have to navigate to download it...

Oct 7, 2008 at 1:51 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
It's not a mod.
It's a own game, as it says on the homepage <_<;

Oct 7, 2008 at 2:38 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Ah. Too bad. Thanks for clearing that up, S. P. Gardebiter.

This just goes to show my ineptitude of the Japanese language!

Oct 18, 2008 at 2:53 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
You can make money with nothing but scripting and flags.
Enemy's won't drop it tho, unless you use <NCJ and kill every enemy on the map, but then those enemy's won't have normal drops.

Oh... i take that back... You could have each individual enemy drop money fairly easily just by having it run an event on death. But, it won't drop money in the same way they drop energy.

If people want i can upload the game where i got it all working. But not today, im busy today.

Oct 19, 2008 at 6:30 AM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
SeriousFace said:
You can make money with nothing but scripting and flags

You can use assembly.

Oct 19, 2008 at 10:04 AM
No, no, I think I know what SeriousFace means. It's possible without assembly, but then things looks more complicated. But it's still possible.

Oct 23, 2008 at 1:37 AM
I can has squidburger?
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
SeriousFace said:
You can make money with nothing but scripting and flags.
Enemy's won't drop it tho, unless you use <NCJ and kill every enemy on the map, but then those enemy's won't have normal drops.

Oh... i take that back... You could have each individual enemy drop money fairly easily just by having it run an event on death. But, it won't drop money in the same way they drop energy.

If people want i can upload the game where i got it all working. But not today, im busy today.
Really inefficient though.

Oct 23, 2008 at 2:53 AM
Been here way too long...
"..."
Go ahead and do it with assembly then :o

Oct 23, 2008 at 6:25 AM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Actually... I just thought of a very VERY simple way, though implementing it into a mod would be hard work. Everything has to be done manually =/ That is, you'll have to plan out exactly how much money is used when and where in the game as well as in which order.

Just make a coin sprite in the items spritesheet. Then give that item the descript which includes how much currency or amount you have. Simple rite?

So here is how it works:
For example, you get 10 coins. The descript would go like this: 10 gold coins. (something like that, for example =/)
Then you gotta use 3 coins. So at the point or convo in which you lose the 3 coins, you gotta set a flag that causes the descript to switch to another descript with the value changed.
The descript would go like this now: 7 gold coins.

Code:
<KEY<GIT0001<IT+0001<MSGOh hey!!! You gots 10 coins!!!<NOD<CLR<CLO<END

#(First description event)
<FLJ0100:(Second description event)<MSG10 coins<NOD<CLR<CLO

<KEY<GIT0001<IT-0001<MSGAww. Some arse stole your coins. You have only one left. Sad noob.<NOD<CLR<CLO<FL+0100<END

#(Second description event)
<MSG1 coin<NOD<CLR<CLO<END

However, this would limit the number of flags you need to use to switch between the differing descriptions. But I doubt that a single mod would use as many as 9999 flags rite? :o

Oh and the script might get messy if not properly organised. It might also run out of space, depending on the number of times you lose or gain coins.

--===--

Another way is to just change the picture. The picture could include a little number at the bottom right to show how many coins you have. Using the ssame method, you can change the picture of the coins to another picture with a number showing a different value. However, I don't really recommend this because it would take up a massive amount of space in your script as well as your items sprite sheet, leaving few for other items.

Edit - Ghey typos =="

Oct 23, 2008 at 4:10 PM
Metalogz, I know how to this. I was thinking about this method. :o

Oct 23, 2008 at 7:18 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Wirtualnosc said:
Metalogz, I know how to this. I was thinking about this method. :o

AWW NOOO. MY IDEA ISN"T ORIGINAL ANYMORE!! NO MORE WORLD PEACE FOR YOU PPLZ!!!

*World explosion doom*

Oct 23, 2008 at 11:28 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I have an idea of using 6 flags as bits by which to track currency values up to 50 (as an arbitrary maximum amount of money to carry just picked as an example) but have to leave now :o It'd parse those flags with a bunch of flj's to handle incrementation, decrementation, and appropriate wallet-item descriptions. It'd use a ton of events, save on flags, and allow for more diverse currency gain and usage.

If anyone wants to work with the idea before I get back it is perfectly fine with me.

e- or serious face can upload his example; it might be the same deal.

Oct 24, 2008 at 12:17 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
A fascinating idea... it would require 64 events, but you could store values up to 63.

... now, buying things would be even harder! I can't help but think it'd be easier- or at least more efficient- just to assembly hack in a counter.