Cave Story 3D Pros, Cons, and Glitches

Dec 27, 2014 at 12:54 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
So, for Christmas this year, I received Cave Story 3D, and I would like to list the pros and cons, as well as report some glitches, so here goes it.

Pros:

~Adds a new experience to the game and world with detailed backgrounds and scenery.
~Adds new areas that expand gameplay including a part of the nemesis challenge in Story Mode.
~Prinny Cap.
~Classic Mode, replacing entity models with the original sprites.
~Shaded what would be "Face.pbm" to the point where it becomes artwork.
~Adds many new life capsules.
~Core looks boss!

Stuff that doesn't matter either way (at least to me):

~Tweaks the NICALiS translation a tiny bit
~Adds a fan before the room where you drain the water from Curly so you can get to the room easier.

Cons:

~Some new areas are harder than expected.
~No Curly Brace Mode.
~Some of the models could be better...
~Texture for "Deathtrap" isn't consistent and can lead to confusion and -127.
~Classic Mode sprites don't look very well, because the game zooms to varying degrees in different parts of the game.

Glitches:

~No "Hero's End" track after the bad ending.
~Credits include Best ending exclusive enemies, descriptions, and bosses in the normal ending credits as well.
~If you miss a jump in the new area "Falling Tower" with the Mimiga Mask, you can't get back up, and you have to redo the balcony completely with all boss fights again.
~Opening your inventory then quiting, opening a new save, then leaving or entering a room, results in going into the room where you would have left on the other save.

Also I would like to add that while searching if there was already a review for this on the forums, I received this message "The following search terms are not allowed and were removed from your query: 3d", and please tell me what you think of my sort-of-review and whether or not it made you want to get the game. Overall, I give it 4/5. Now back to trying to improve my sanctuary time.

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:05 AM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Pegagamer said:
for Christmas this year, I received Cave Story 3D
You poor soul!

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:10 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Aar said:
You poor soul!
What do you mean? I asked for the game, and I really enjoyed it.

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:32 AM
thinks dogs are cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
there's a running factual gag that CS3D is terrible and we'd rather not mess with it at all ever again

Dec 27, 2014 at 4:30 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Your review is pretty comprehensive. I've never played Cave Story 3D, but I'd like to just to experience it. c:

Dec 27, 2014 at 4:40 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
i want the game just to say i own 'em' all but i live in the land down under and it's impossible to find here

Dec 27, 2014 at 11:08 AM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
I doubt that it's as bad as the forums say it is. It got great reviews, and is one of the highest rated 3DS games. The models in my opinion look kind of ugly though. Quote was never meant to be a 3d model.

Dec 27, 2014 at 12:33 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I personally love CS3D for what it is.

Three other glitches/oversights you missed:
1. An enemy in the new area in the Egg Corridor uses the wrong sprite in 2D mode.
2. The Core shows up during the island collapsing scene (plot hole).
3. Enraged Mimigas show up after defeating the Core (plot hole).

ryan66679 said:
i want the game just to say i own 'em' all but i live in the land down under and it's impossible to find here
Yes, I am from Australia as well and I barely could get it in retail as well. But to be fair, CS3D has been downloadable in the Aussie 3DS eShop long before Nicalis decided to make it so in any official capacity.

Dec 27, 2014 at 5:04 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Something I just now realized is that Quote can now NOT drown in ankle deep water in CS3D. The water has to be at least mouth level for the air level to decrease. Also, I noticed that unlike the other 3DS port, Deletes actually do damage when you are too close when they explode.

Dec 27, 2014 at 5:13 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
This is pretty much my go-to list regarding CS3D issues. I really dislike the game and I think it's the worst of all the ports ($40 is incomprehensible for CS3D), but if you enjoyed it than more power to you. It's honestly pretty sad that the most fun I had with this game was the flag retention glitch (getting the Beast Fang and other oddities).

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 27, 2014 at 6:42 PM
beep boop
It's a great game, but only if you haven't played the origanal. That's how I feel it is for all of Nicalis'es ports. If you played the origanal, you just can't accept it as great, because you know that they something godly and free into something great, glitchy, and 40 bucks.

Dec 28, 2014 at 1:51 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Paths said:
there's a running factual gag that CS3D is terrible and we'd rather not mess with it at all ever again
Factual? Bullshit.

Bionicobot said:
It's a great game, but only if you haven't played the origanal.
Actually I enjoyed it BECAUSE I played the original. It makes just enough changes to almost make you feel like you are playing something new, while at the same time preserving what makes CS great. The purists will cry foul (and by Pixel there are some hardcore purists here), but the lack of purity is what I love about it, it makes me enjoy CS a little like I used to before playing it to death, well that and the gorgeous backgrounds, properly remastered soundtrack that puts CS+'s to shame, as well as those redone facepics and hud. To me, that good is great and the bad is downright insignificant, and merely an excuse for people to talk themselves out of paying for the game in the first place.

Bionicobot said:
If you played the origanal, you just can't accept it as great, because you know that they something godly and free into something great, glitchy, and 40 bucks.
So you can't enjoy something because it costs money? No wonder the world's economy went down the drain.

Dec 28, 2014 at 3:33 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Yeah, CS3D's music and environments are, for the most part, pretty beautiful and fresh in comparison to the original. The models aren't the best, but gosh the rest of it is pretty to look at. :3

Dec 28, 2014 at 8:36 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"..."
andwhyisit said:
So you can't enjoy something because it costs money? No wonder the world's economy went down the drain.
It's like you've never seen a popular person playing a game on Youtube. The comments are full of (In my experience) "IS THERE A WAY TO GET THIS FREE, I'D LOVE TO SUPPORT THE DEVELOPERS BUT I DON'T WANT TO SPEND MONEY" and stuff.

Dec 28, 2014 at 8:39 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
andwhyisit said:
Nothing in this world is ever free, especially if it seems that it is. But its a tad over priced. The other ports while not in 3d, never exceded 12$. This has been out for quite some time and its priced at the same as some of the newer 3ds games

Dec 28, 2014 at 1:47 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I am not denying that. My point is that letting an item's price point determine your enjoyment of said item rather than via its own merits is a terrible way to do things. Mostly because prices create preconceived, and poorly conceived, minimum expectations about the product in question. Expensive items aren't necessarily good, cheap items aren't necessarily bad, and vice versa.

But regardless there was always going to be a price discrepancy between a digital product and a physical one. Packaging, the media itself, publishers, distributors, and retail stores all add to the cost, and most of it is beyond the control of developers. If it cost anything near the cost of the digital version then someone or other would sell at a loss. Plus even if it was possible, someone in the chain would just inflate the price to normal levels and take a greater cut. This is the nature of physical media. This is also why digital media is so much cheaper, because it cuts out the fluff. Physical releases, however, grant you a much wider audience.

Nov 29, 2015 at 7:29 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I had no fun with CS 3D. It just felt buggy, and tbh some of the graphics were really ugly, Which defeats the purpose of the game does it not?

Nov 29, 2015 at 7:52 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
some of the graphics were really ugly, Which defeats the purpose of the game does it not?
Well...no, I don't believe it does. Cave Story isn't centered around graphics.

Nov 29, 2015 at 7:55 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Well...no, I don't believe it does. Cave Story isn't centered around graphics.
I think he was referring to the fact that the game is mostly about the new 3d graphics, as the gameplay hasn't changed much.