Cave Story 2?

Feb 18, 2016 at 4:50 PM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
If there ever was a sequel for cavestory, I'd like to see it as a prequel; possibly showing more info about the origins of the demon crown and it's previous wearers. Could go so far back to the crocodile guy to miakid. Or if it was a sequel, make it a completely different story with a different protagonist, but in the same universe..?

By now there won't ever be a sequel for cavestory since the game is.. fine as it is. It ends with no cliffhangers and it serves it's purpose well enough. I'd still love to get my hands on that damn beta.. for some reason I feel like pixel will open up one day in the far future and throw out a zip.. or it could get leaked ;o
You gave me flashbacks from Quote Story. AHH!

Feb 18, 2016 at 5:53 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
If there ever was a sequel for cavestory, I'd like to see it as a prequel; possibly showing more info about the origins of the demon crown and it's previous wearers. Could go so far back to the crocodile guy to miakid. Or if it was a sequel, make it a completely different story with a different protagonist, but in the same universe..?

By now there won't ever be a sequel for cavestory since the game is.. fine as it is. It ends with no cliffhangers and it serves it's purpose well enough. I'd still love to get my hands on that damn beta.. for some reason I feel like pixel will open up one day in the far future and throw out a zip.. or it could get leaked ;o

I'm pretty sure many modders have tried this. Is there any completed mods like this? Also I am pretty sure I have the CS2 mod on my old computer. And I'm pretty sure you could find it on Doukutsu Uploader. I might just upload it if it really is hard to find a download.

Feb 19, 2016 at 2:42 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Feb 27, 2016 at 5:42 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I second that, Jenkas Nightmare is an awesome mod (Y)

Mar 1, 2016 at 2:36 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Jenka's Nightmare is pretty much the closest thing there will probably be to a second Cave Story. From what I've been able to tell, Pixel's distanced himself from CS due to Nicalis's involvement in the rights to the game.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2016 at 2:56 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
Jenka's Nightmare is pretty much the closest thing there will probably be to a second Cave Story. From what I've been able to tell, Pixel's distanced himself from CS due to Nicalis's involvement in the rights to the game.
I think he "distanced" himself from it because he comepleted cave story with solid endings and no loose ends

Mar 1, 2016 at 3:07 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I think he "distanced" himself from it because he comepleted cave story with solid endings and no loose ends

I wouldn't be so sure. A few years ago there was a rumor of a sequel floating around, around the same time Cave Story + gave us the Wind Fortress level, which seemed at the time to be a clue towards some previously-unrevealed plot thread. Unfortunately we've heard nothing about that since.

Mar 1, 2016 at 3:28 AM
Its dark in here
A few years ago there was a rumor of a sequel floating around
don't trust rumors
around the same time Cave Story + gave us the Wind Fortress level, which seemed at the time to be a clue towards some previously-unrevealed plot thread.
wind fortress was a level that was going to be in the original but pixel dropped it. its just a challenge level with no influence on the actual canon.

Mar 1, 2016 at 3:30 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I was around pre-Nicalis. I have seen every turned down request for a sequel back then, as I have now. Pixel simply doesn't want to do a sequel. Please for love of Pixel stop asking him about a bloody sequel. It is never going to happen.

I mean seriously, if I pasted every sequel request that Pixel turned down over the years then you would be scrolling forever.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2016 at 9:14 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I would think the answer to that would be the same as the one to "can you stop asking awful/dumb questions for once?"

Mar 1, 2016 at 4:12 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I find it funny that everyone assumes that if there was a Cave Story sequel, it would be made by Pixel.

Doesn't Nicalis own the rights to the IP now?

Mar 1, 2016 at 4:22 PM
I find it funny that everyone assumes that if there was a Cave Story sequel, it would be made by Pixel.

Doesn't Nicalis own the rights to the IP now?

It doesn't matter who has the rights to the IP. A Cave Story sequel would mean there would have to be an entirely new plot with the same characters and there would have to be a necessary reason for it to not look like a cash grab. But Cave Story has no questions or loose ends. No one who owns the IP is that desperate for money.... even the publishers of Cave Story 3D.

There's just no reason for it.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2016 at 5:02 PM
Its dark in here
It doesn't matter who has the rights to the IP. A Cave Story sequel would mean there would have to be an entirely new plot with the same characters and there would have to be a necessary reason for it to not look like a cash grab. But Cave Story has no questions or loose ends. No one who owns the IP is that desperate for money.... even the publishers of Cave Story 3D.

There's just no reason for it.
you seem to know a significant amount about the sequel before it even exists

Mar 1, 2016 at 5:07 PM
you seem to know a significant amount about the sequel before it even exists
What I am trying to say is that there isn't really a way they could connect it to the original story. Cave Story pretty much cleared up it's story with everything being clear to the player.

Mar 2, 2016 at 1:13 AM
Modding Community Discord Moderator
CSE Discord Moderator
I can't believe that no one's mentioned A Lost Land yet!
iirc, this was one of the more well known "Cave Story 2" mods, and it's completed too.
(Haven't played it in a while, so I don't remember how good it actually is, but it was well known anyways...)

Mar 2, 2016 at 2:13 AM
"Huzzah!"
Does a sequel NEED to have the original cast to be a sequel?

What if the story takes place after the original game, but features a completely new cast, with its own story?

All of the events in the original, are cannon to the sequel.

I.E. Pokemon b/w -> b/w 2

Ok, so it still had a lot of the characters from the original, but its story was still wrapped around the new ones.
5th gen is the best gen, f*ck the 6th gen.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2016 at 3:05 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
LOL, I'm going for a time in the Forum and post already has 4 pages, incredible. :mrgreen: