Cave Story 2 [Fan Mod] - [On Hold]

Nov 3, 2012 at 12:47 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
This is a thread where I will be posting regular updates and releases of my mod 'Cave Story 2' (Place-holder title).
This will be my first and probably last 'Cave Story' mod.

It is set after the events of 'Cave Story' but within the same universe. There are only minor relations to the previous
game such as revisiting old zones, references to what happened on the island etc. So don't expect to see Quote,
Curly, Sue or any other characters within the mod.

I have released an extremely basic build of the mod. Please feel free to leave any feedback I prefer constructive
criticism too 'OMG this is best mod evar' or 'worst mod ever you should just delete this thread'. If you like the mod say so
but also tell me what makes you like it, and if you don't like it tell me why so I can fix those things.

Thank you for reading.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Early images of the starting zones.

Laboratory
Laboratory_01.png

Cave
Cave_01.png
Cave_02.png
Cave_03.png

Bunker
Bunker_01.png

Storage 00
Storage00_01.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update 01

I have now got a very early version of the mod ready for play. There are so far no enemies in the mod and it is only the very
beginning so it is pretty bland right now. If you see Curly she is a place-holder right now until I implement the new textures.

Please leave feedback on the start and report any bugs, thank you.

Update 02 - 10/11/12

An update just to say that ASM is going pretty well, I have not been struggling at any point...yet. Also I have started working on the
next tileset and zone in the mod. If you would like to see it click the spoiler button.

Jungle Test.png

It is so far a re-skin of Grasstown/Bushlands, with a few minor differences. I quite like the palette for the ground but I think the grass
could do with a bit of work. The sky background and trees are not yet implemented.

I am trying to go with a Jungle feel. Please leave feedback on what I should do to improve the tileset, thanks.

Update 03 - 27/02/13

I am putting the mod on hold right now whilst I work out a few annoying bugs and to flesh out the story even more. In the mean time I
will be working on another mod, the thread should be up sometime in the future once I have a playable demo, I will be doing this to
improve my skills at Cave Editor and modding for CS in general. See you soon.

Downloads

http://www.mediafire.com/?dc7yu6aqzm4ns9d"]Download: 03112012 - PUBLIC BUILD 01[/url]
http://www.mediafire.com/?3q216c5jzqccij1"]Download: 05012013 - PUBLIC BUILD 02[/url]

Nov 3, 2012 at 2:40 AM
Mrs. Policewoman
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Looks interesting, please don't turn out like sonicdoom, I kind of hate him.
By the way, because I don't have anything to do right now, what whith my pc hating me and getting viruses, what do you think I should do to improve CA? *caughcaughthatsmymodbythewaycaughcaugh*

Nov 3, 2012 at 3:29 AM
I played the mod it looks cool. A couple of things that I would change would be:

-The giant 'DON'T FALL DOWN' made out of blocks looks quite weird and ugly sitting there. Instead of having that you should put a signpost
it looks a lot neater and still gets the message to the player.

-After repeatedly dying at 'Island Bottom' it got annoying having to keep restarting from the 'Storehouse', even though it is only a few seconds to
get back eventually it can get repetitive. You should extend the platform with the wind blower to put a save point on (and the signpost). This allows
the player to get right back to the action.

-The music does not return after you get the 'Sparkles' at the 'Outer Wall'. This is probably because <RMU does not work with certain songs 'Moonsong'
probably being one of them. So instead put the 'Sparkles' in the 'Sanctuary' because there is no music there so you don't need to worry about <RMU.
Or make a separate room before the 'Outer Wall' which has the 'Sparkles' in.

-This is some weird thing that happened I don't know what causes it but I can't change anything in the 'CConfig.exe'. I will save changes and quit but
none of the changes would have happened.

The mod looks cool. I haven't gotten that far in but I like the challenge level so far.

Good luck with the mod.

Nov 3, 2012 at 1:15 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Oh hey a thing

I quite like the screenshots, anything that explores the role of the robots or the surface (mayhap?) is always nice.

Nov 4, 2012 at 4:14 PM
Running into weird problems with the mod right now. Whenever I add a map and then play the mod it will say:

'C:\Users\'My Name'\Desktop\Cave Story Mod\Cave Story 2\Cave Story 2.exe is not a valid Win32 application.'

Anyone got any idea on how to fix this? It is happening on all of my backups and only when a new map is added.
If not I could always restart from fresh I'm not that far in and adding all the stuff back in shouldn't take longer than
an hour.

Nov 4, 2012 at 5:20 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
That is weird.
First of all, never add maps, use the old ones and modify them.

If you want to add maps, use Sue's Workshop instead of CaveEditor. That is not recommended however since you cannot add new music.

Alternatively try Booster's lab.

EDIT: Also Cave Story 2 is an overused name. Might want to try something like Cave Story 1.999 or CS 3.1415.

Nov 4, 2012 at 5:23 PM
Thanks for the help. Also Cave Story 2 is just a place-holder title until I can come up with something better.

Nov 4, 2012 at 6:51 PM
Mrs. Policewoman
PixelVortex said:
-The giant 'DON'T FALL DOWN' made out of blocks looks quite weird and ugly sitting there. Instead of having that you should put a signpost
it looks a lot neater and still gets the message to the player.
I'm actually going to replace that area all together, so don't worry.
-After repeatedly dying at 'Island Bottom' it got annoying having to keep restarting from the 'Storehouse', even though it is only a few seconds to
get back eventually it can get repetitive. You should extend the platform with the wind blower to put a save point on (and the signpost). This allows
the player to get right back to the action.
Again, replacing it with something else.
-The music does not return after you get the 'Sparkles' at the 'Outer Wall'. This is probably because <RMU does not work with certain songs 'Moonsong'
probably being one of them. So instead put the 'Sparkles' in the 'Sanctuary' because there is no music there so you don't need to worry about <RMU.
Or make a separate room before the 'Outer Wall' which has the 'Sparkles' in.
Oh, okay, I'll definitely have to fix that.
-This is some weird thing that happened I don't know what causes it but I can't change anything in the 'CConfig.exe'. I will save changes and quit but
none of the changes would have happened.
Oh, right, I forgot about that, here's how to fix that:
enable viewing hidden objects in tools > folder options, then unhide config.dat.
It should work after that.

Nov 4, 2012 at 11:44 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Thanks for the info hate9. I was having the same error with my mod-in-progress.
Somehow it worked itself out
I will never understand windows entirely
but I thank you just in case it does it again.

Nov 5, 2012 at 12:01 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Okay so I played through the first few rooms, and the mod actually looks pretty decent. If you are gonna add mosnters to Cave, Iwould onlyput in 1 or 2, caue it's a pretty fine room as it is now, you could honestly not add any and it woud be fine due to pacing. I would however, not have the character say, "I probably shouldn't go in there" I hate that somuch in games. It'd be better ifthe door was sealed shut because of it and you need to unlock it later.

Nov 5, 2012 at 1:03 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Just played it, and I have to agree with everything Matt said. I do think that 1 or 2 well-placed critters would make it a tad better.

Nov 5, 2012 at 2:05 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I think at least the main character shouldn't be a recolor. I mean his is just a blue Quote.

Nov 5, 2012 at 4:48 PM
If you are gonna add mosnters to Cave, Iwould onlyput in 1 or 2, caue it's a pretty fine room as it is now, you could honestly not add any and it woud be fine due to pacing.
I am not going to put any monsters in 'Cave', but I am changing 'Corridor' because straight after 'Corridor' there is a boss and I think it is bad to just start on a boss. So the 'Corridor' will have
enemies in and the cave shall stay empty.

I would however, not have the character say, "I probably shouldn't go in there" I hate that somuch in games. It'd be better ifthe door was sealed shut because of it and you need to unlock it later.
I am going to change that, I don't know why I put it in. Probably shouldn't be working on mods at 3:00am.

I think at least the main character shouldn't be a recolor. I mean his is just a blue Quote.
I am thinking of adding more detail and other things to the character, but there is a plot reason for why he looks like 'Quote'.

Nov 6, 2012 at 11:41 PM
Quick update.

I am going to attempt to learn ASM for Cave Story, because of this work on the mod itself (e.g levels script etc.) will nod be happening too much,
but hopefully when I do return to the actual development I will have lots of new skills and things that can be added into the mod. Such as bosses,
weapons, enemies and so much more.

Next time I will post will either be on whether I finished ASM or and update design wise.

EDIT: I accidently took the images off my computer. So they are no longer viewable on this post.

Nov 7, 2012 at 8:05 PM
Mrs. Policewoman
After you learn ASM (or give up, depending), I'd like to help with the mod, if possible.
Multi-member mods don't usually work, but I certainly am not going to quit, and I hope that you won't quit.

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:42 PM
Cool, help would be awesome especially later on in the mod when there is a lot more to do. Also
don't worry about me not finishing the mod, I will finish this mod I have made it a personal goal.

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:59 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Cool, help would be awesome especially later on in the mod when there is a lot more to do. Also
don't worry about me not finishing the mod, I will finish this mod I have made it a personal goal.
You are guaranteeing us you'll finish it? Ooh, that's going to be fun, I bet. By the way, I hope you realize what you're getting yourself into with ASM. Either way, I'll be testing it on the occasional release.

Nov 8, 2012 at 12:47 AM
I know, I've seen it and it looks hard, but ASM or not this mod will be finished. ASM is just allowing me to do
extra and improve the mod in certain ways. It is by no means essential and the mod will still be able to carry
on without it.

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:21 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Oh, well I'm glad you realize that! You seem pretty confident about this, and you have my full support.

Nov 8, 2012 at 2:56 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
I want to be the downer, but you're tone and whatnot envokes me to think otherwise. I'll be watching...