Cave edit help

Nov 14, 2008 at 10:26 AM
"Huzzah!"
ive been using cave edit to do a mod and whenever i go to add an entry it comes up with an error

Nov 14, 2008 at 12:05 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Wrong section.

~ Moved ~

Nov 14, 2008 at 10:51 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
What sort of error?

Nov 14, 2008 at 11:41 PM
"Huzzah!"
Celtic Minstrel said:
What sort of error?

when i click on cave story exe it just comes up with microsoft send error report and that it encountered a probolem i can do everything on cave edit but when i add an entry it errors. :)

Nov 15, 2008 at 12:54 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
You haven't edited the game with both sue's workshop and cave editor, have you?
If you do it tends to corrupt the doukutsu.exe, which would probably result in the error.

Also, what operating system are you working on? (vista, xp, mac, etc.) it could be part of the problem.

Nov 15, 2008 at 3:38 AM
"Huzzah!"
im using xp i dont think ive used sues it works untill i place an entry in cave edit
ps if i have used sues could it be fixed by placing the data folder i a new cavestory folder???

Nov 15, 2008 at 10:55 AM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
You can edit Sue's Workshop mods with CaveEditor but you can't edit CaveEditor mods with Sue's Workshop.

Nov 15, 2008 at 12:27 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
odin 2128 said:
im using xp i dont think ive used sues it works untill i place an entry in cave edit
ps if i have used sues could it be fixed by placing the data folder i a new cavestory folder???
kk, your going to need to be more specific.
tell us exactly what your doing, step by step, with cave editor
then tell us exactly the type of error that happens, how it happens, and if you can, post a screeny.

Nov 17, 2008 at 7:30 AM
"Huzzah!"
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
kk, your going to need to be more specific.
tell us exactly what your doing, step by step, with cave editor
then tell us exactly the type of error that happens, how it happens, and if you can, post a screeny.

ok i go into cave edit i edited my sprites then tested it worked after that went into the map editor added an entry made the entry a red critter then pressed save tested again error

Nov 17, 2008 at 10:41 AM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Cave edit easily corrupts the game, to my knowledge. Even if the game DID run, a bunch of function errors would occur with the sprites, such as falling through the floors, or Balrog bouncing up and down.

Long story short, DON'T USE CAVE EDIT. It will break your game.

If you need to edit the sprites, just open the .pbm files in the Cave Story directory, using paint. If you need a full-color .pbm file, change loading.pbm 's properties from "Black&White" to "Color"; then rename it, and paste the image to it. After you're done all editing for the time being, and want to test it; save the file, and open it with a hex editor, adding "(C)Pixel" to the end of the file.

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:59 AM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
GIR uses CaveEdit for his mod actually, and it seems to be fine.

Nov 17, 2008 at 1:39 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
ZarroTsu said:
Cave edit easily corrupts the game, to my knowledge. Even if the game DID run, a bunch of function errors would occur with the sprites, such as falling through the floors, or Balrog bouncing up and down.

It won't break your game, only if you try to edit the .exe with sue's editor after editing it with cave editor (which I sometimes accidentally do, so i always make a backup of the .exe every now and then.) No function errors or sprite errors for me, maybe you just need to get used to it more o.o?

jcys810 said:
GIR uses CaveEdit for his mod actually, and it seems to be fine.
And there's the proof.

While I'm at it, I might as well post some of the disadvantages of CaveEditor I have found which have forced me to use creative means with Sue's Workshop so I didn't have to abandon a project:
-script editor freezes/crashes when you try to put in an event thats greater than 999 in a map script(which sucks if you want to edit drowning at core event)
-script editor crashes when you try to save a map script with close to 20480 characters
-cave editor crashes when you assign a npc type value greater than 360 to an npc on a map(note: 360 is the last npc value on the npc table), which sucks if you type it in accidentally and have forgotten to save the map.
-pbm editor pretty much sucks, can't draw anything really. I recommend using mspaint.
-if you edit the npc table, all of the values for which sprite sheet it draws its sprites from are off by one (for example, if you want it to be taken from Map Npc Set 1, you'll actually have to set it to Map Npc Set 2, and for Map Npc Set 2, you'll have to set it to NpcRegu)
-will not let you edit a .pbm that is not 16 colours, and will crash if you attempt to do so.

And seeing as I use CaveEditor, I'd might as well go ahead and list some of the reasons I choose to use it:
-can edit the pallette (colors used) in a 16-bit pbm, meaning i don't have to save it as a bigger file and use different colors if need be
-edits the npc table
-script editor checks for errors in script, and is somewhat easier to read
-can COPY maps completely
-gives you all the values possible when editing a tileset's tiles (like making some solid, and others water, and etc), but im not sure what they all do

And that's all the time i have right now, cuz otherwise ima miss my bus.

Nov 18, 2008 at 6:34 AM
"Huzzah!"
ZarroTsu said:

If you need to edit the sprites, just open the .pbm files in the Cave Story directory, using paint. If you need a full-color .pbm file, change loading.pbm 's properties from "Black&White" to "Color"; then rename it, and paste the image to it. After you're done all editing for the time being, and want to test it; save the file, and open it with a hex editor, adding "(C)Pixel" to the end of the file.

ok i wont use caveedit again but with the sprites ive allready edited can i just paste them into them.

ps how do i change attributes without hex editing cause i suck balls when it comes to hexediting

Nov 18, 2008 at 2:22 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
odin 2128 said:
ok i go into cave edit i edited my sprites then tested it worked after that went into the map editor added an entry made the entry a red critter then pressed save tested again error

so you added an npc(entity 241, a red critter) to a map, and then it crashed your .exe?

wait, when your testing your game, did you click the "Save and Test" option from the file menu?

That function doesn't work (which you might have noticed) but i don't think it does anything to the .exe . Also, I added a critter to one of my maps, didn't crash anything.

The only other problem that it could be is the (C)Pixel thing, so what I recommend trying is removing the (C)Pixel requirement. Just go to game settings, change the "(C)Pixel" to something random, press ok, reopen Game Settings, leave the spot where the (C)Pixel was (which should have that random thing you put in there) blank by deleting your random word, then click OK, and if you open it again you will see it has removed the requirement (kind of a pain i know, but it's easier then hex-editting every sprite sheet/ hex-editting the .exe). What did you use to edit the sprites btw?

ZarroTsu said:
odin 2128 said:
ok i wont use caveedit again

I always hate how this program normally gets such a bad rap due to most people being more comfortable with SuesWorkshop and not taking the time to learn how to use CaveEditor.....

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:26 AM
"Huzzah!"
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
so you added an npc(entity 241, a red critter) to a map, and then it crashed your .exe?

wait, when your testing your game, did you click the "Save and Test" option from the file menu?

That function doesn't work (which you might have noticed) but i don't think it does anything to the .exe . Also, I added a critter to one of my maps, didn't crash anything.

The only other problem that it could be is the (C)Pixel thing, so what I recommend trying is removing the (C)Pixel requirement. Just go to game settings, change the "(C)Pixel" to something random, press ok, reopen Game Settings, leave the spot where the (C)Pixel was (which should have that random thing you put in there) blank by deleting your random word, then click OK, and if you open it again you will see it has removed the requirement (kind of a pain i know, but it's easier then hex-editting every sprite sheet/ hex-editting the .exe). What did you use to edit the sprites btw?

I always hate how this program normally gets such a bad rap due to most people being more comfortable with SuesWorkshop and not taking the time to learn how to use CaveEditor.....
thanks everyone im gonna used cave edit for only changing damage values and health values might play around with it on another cave story folder 1 day
edit: im just happy that i backed it up before it happened

Nov 30, 2008 at 11:21 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Yeah, quick similar question. I used CaveEditor to change it from .bmp to .pbm. I then edit it in Paint, making sure to stay in the original parameters. I have to, right? Then I put it in and get that wonky error, the ff@!/?\f@@#%^ thingy. What am I doing wrong.

Note: If this is not the right place to post this, where is?

Dec 1, 2008 at 1:02 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
So what you did was made it so it accepted .bmp's, then you made a good bmp (just one), then you ran the game and it wouldn't work?

If so, the problem is quite simple. You need to change every .pbm that cavestory uses into a .bmp for it to work, (every npc sheet, every tile set sheet, every symbol sheet, etc.). If you do that tho, it should work