Categorize the Modding Showcase

Feb 19, 2016 at 2:10 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Next round of records are up; I've now updated the link in my siggy to the google doc so that it's always within reach. Much like I was doing, I've marked them in lightish purple, mostly so I can keep track of what I'm changing at once. I've made a few other small alterations:
-Challenge mods are now listed by length rather than just having "challenge" for both length and type.
-I've added a page for Cave Story fangames and engine builds and such. There have been a handful of them over time so I figure it won't be too taxing to track them.

@Lace I did go over most of that in the last post I made. As I said, since the majority of mods are unfinished, I think the best use a rating system will serve is to represent how much quality content a mod has, in order to give newcomers (or even oldcomers) an idea of what they're going to get upon downloading. Mods in progress will be updated as they go along. I say have .5's because the minute I started wondering how I would potentially rate things I realised "yeeeeaaaaahhh I'm gonna need some extra levels to distinguish between these".
The Future isn't even that short relatively, two big main areas is still more than most

Regarding profiles:
+Users can track at a glance how many mods they've played, how they've rated them and how their own mods are tracking (they may not want their whole profile to be public, but we could always make that optional)
-More work and storage space required

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2016 at 12:37 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Another two lots of updates are now in place. It is all starting to blend together a bit and I haven't filled everything in yet, but hopefully I haven't missed too many major details (e.g. I don't think anything there aside from WTF? Story and Fjord's have changed music?). I have to say though, even looking back now the modding section really did get off to a great start. Plenty of great mods that still hold up well and gave the section a real inspirational kick-start. I'm totes looking forward to the archive site now, it's gonna be so great :D

Mar 10, 2016 at 2:46 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Did another page of updating today (I'll keep working tomorrow). It's weird seeing all these old mods I still remember fairly well and realising I haven't played them for years and years. Maybe the fact that the forums (and my life too technically) are more settled these days is why time seems to move more quickly and quietly than it used to. Plenty of catching up to look forward to, at any rate :debug:

Mar 13, 2016 at 3:29 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Okay so, I've hit a bit of a dilemma when it comes to the ratings. We've changed the system slightly from my original proposal; ratings now go from a minimum of 1 up to 4, with personal opinion to be given more free reign. (I say 1 to 4 because lower values in rating systems are almost always redundant asside from classifying the absolute worst. I don't see the point in putting 0 in there just to say "DON'T EVER CHOOSE THIS". Anyway this isn't the issue.)

The best compromise I've come up with is this, which is a points system based on ratings but with a small base score increase based on mod length (lengths for partial edit mods would have to be estimated). This doc's public so you can mess around with it too if you want woo (I have it backed up just in case).

I know length isn't a "perfect" measure but generally it's reliable. The main thing this would do would be to differentiate between long and short mods rated the same, in order to avoid the scenario of joke mods or whatnot ending up on the same level as something like The Show, for example. Also average ratings would still be visible, so there's no demand to only agree with one or the other.

May 16, 2016 at 1:31 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I'm happy to say that I've managed my first update in I think over a month, now that I've finally got my hard drive back and working (still using a borrowed machine right now but that's the main thing). I do have some (literal, actual) work that will be taking priority for a while but I'll still have time in between for the archive. End of the month wouldn't be realistic as a completion date now though. Maybe I can have it done in time for my birthday :awesomeface:

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:36 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I am pleased to be able to announce that I have just completed my first archival run-through of Showcase, clocking in currently at just over 400 mods individually released. It's far from finished, of course, but the base foundations have been laid and aren't they going anywhere :debug: Some of you may also notice the very large jumps in thread index number near the end of the listings, courtesy of the spambot invasions we had earlier in the year :chin: I'll run the index rebuilder tomorrow and see if that improves it at all.

The next thing to do then, I believe, is to start filling in the most important blanks, i.e., the mods I haven't been able to find, and begin finalising the individual mod folders for uploading. I'll improve the current categories as I go through, while adding anything I haven't listed yet for some reason (e.g. mods that are just a graphics edit or hack implementation with no changes to the original maps will be classed differently from now on). I'll need to run over a few more things with andwhy and Noxid as well.

For the time being, however, what I will be wanting most is, for super serious this time, everyone to check what mods I'm missing at the moment, especially the more senior members. This includes anything with a greyed cell in the "Available?" column of the archive, whether I have an outdated copy or not, or haven't been able to download it from something like 4shared. Anyone looking for the list will find it in my sig, where it's always been. I believe in you guys still my optimism is eternal :heart:

EDIT: Oh right and I would prefer the original archive if you have it, otherwise, if you could, please mention anything you may remember having changed after downloading the mod. Also, I won't be officially archiving anything not posted on the site, but should you have anything unreleased from you or others that you're comfortable sending me, I'll be sure to hold onto it safely :orangebell:

EDIT AGAIN: I'm now going to start mostly-de-greying mods as they come in, so that I'm not continually being asked about ones I already have. Note that uploads that don't improve upon what I already have won't be updated, and some may yet still be imperfect. Turns out Doors' mod list has quite a few that I'm missing, which has cut the number down quite a bit for the newer stuff at least :D

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2016 at 11:42 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I have a copy of No Booster Hell and I have Fire Red Version in bits and pieces from when I ported it to psp.

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:02 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I've got Timed Edition and Dave Story, apparently

Lace's 'Bored' is just vanilla with the fps limit removed, the patch is in the thread so if you really want to archive that I can replicate it if I haven't got a copy anywhere

as well it looks like I have a few that don't seem to be in your list? such as my submission to the island contest, "half story CF", and "robotcave - unnamed" by anuken

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2016 at 2:19 AM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
What do the colors mean?

Dec 22, 2016 at 2:41 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Oh that was just me thinking attempting to keep track of what I updated when as I went along and once I started I couldn't stop :toroko:

Also like I said, if something isn't listed yet it's probably because I haven't figured out what to do with it and didn't want it slowing up the process any more than it already has been. Fear not, the next full do-over should have everything on there somewhere.

Dec 22, 2016 at 11:21 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Here they are:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/2dvz5ba5ya9p979/No_Booster_Hell_v1.0.1.rar
http://www.mediafire.com/file/89ipyw3kl7eesud/Fire+Red+Version.zip

I had to reconstruct Fire Red Version from the Mac port, but the game was a graphics edit only, so this should be functionally identical.

No Booster Hell is the original download.

Edit: I found "The Island" as well:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/hk431pnzv8pbgai/The_Island_V0002.zip

And this is in case I have a newer version of Essence of Chaos than you:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/qf6vbyaxsb9zri5/EoC1-SD+[Release].rar

Same for Julian's King:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/gffxodldvzxp3dp/Julians_King_Final.zip

And The Wrath of Revorshkenahl:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/wf5leboso3app4s/revorshkenahl,+wrath+thereof.zip

Edit 2: ZT's Mod:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/hb7w42108j9wwls/ZT's+Mod.zip

Edit 3: I found what I believe to be the original download for Fire Red Version so use this instead of the one above:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/3g5n17wec1bie1z/CS_FRV.zip

Edit 4: Rising Earth:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/57d31l59whwpv12/Cave+Story+Rising+Earth+v1.zip

Cheat Story:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/zrmu499tq7t4c26/Cheat+Story!.7z

Word of advice when looking for mods: do a file search for "DoConfig.exe".

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2016 at 8:47 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Alright since andwhy requested it I've added another sheet that only has the 93 originally missing mods listed in it so it's easier to check their current state of found-ness