Categorize the Modding Showcase

Feb 4, 2016 at 1:52 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
To help cleanup the showcase, create a sub-board to stash mods that are clearly minor edits into them.
Likewise, there would be a counterpart sub-board for much more prominent and major mods to reside in.
Optionally, there could be another sub-board for experimental ASM hacks and other tech demos to be put into.

Feb 4, 2016 at 2:00 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I would like to also pitch the idea for a subforum for completed mods, even at the expense of not using one of the ideas that Raus mentioned.

Feb 4, 2016 at 2:08 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I get where you're coming from, but I think a better solution would be to make a searchable mod database. The project has been talked about a few times and I think it just needs a little manpower to get rolling. What I'm thinking of is a page where you can search and filter mods by the type of content, completion, popularity, etc. as well as having permalinked downloads to protect against link rot from these file sharing sites we're so fond of.
Is there any solid reason we shouldn't, at this point? Apart from the effort it would take to suitably populate it, that is.

Feb 4, 2016 at 2:42 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Ultimately that would be the best idea Noxid, especially since the best database at the moment is the quickie guide (which isn't really all that great to be honest). The problem is exactly what you mentioned though: the effort. I imagine it is much, much easier to simply move a handful of threads into another subforum rather than making a definitive mod database that covers all bases. So, is the community willing to put in that much effort? If not, we might as well be honest with ourselves and take the easier solution (I mean, look at how fast the modding wiki died). It would take some serious leadership to make a fully populated list due to all the help it would need.

However, if it's something we're serious about, then count me in.

Feb 4, 2016 at 2:58 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I forgot about the wiki thing. But then again I was never a big stakeholder in it to begin with. I'm willing to put some work into it but I need engagement from a few key people, namely:
@DoubleThink - He's got the best catalogue to date and as far as I KNOW the most extensive collection of old mods.
@andwhyisit - I want to know if this is something I'll need to host on my own or are you willing to have it be a part of cavestory.org
As well, I want at least three curators that we can count on to painstakingly go over every thread and make sure as many mods as possible are properly archived.

development constraints depend on the platform it's being hosted on, but this is probably something that can be assembled at least to a usable state by one person.

Feb 4, 2016 at 5:06 AM
Professional Whatever
I can help with going through mod threads if need be. Do we want to try to playtest the ones we can (to generate decent descriptions for the mods) or just grab the info from the threads?

Feb 4, 2016 at 5:22 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I think playtesting is too time consuming for what we need. It'd be good to make sure that it runs at least, though. As people play them hopefully they will generate comments and ratings/tags that people can use to get a better idea of what to expect as well.

Feb 4, 2016 at 6:46 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
A database sounds pretty useful, most lists are outdated anyhow.
I have played quite some mods before I joined, so I guess I can help supply quite some info about some mods. I don't mind playing some too if needed.

Feb 4, 2016 at 7:23 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
@DoubleThink - He's got the best catalogue to date and as far as I KNOW the most extensive collection of old mods.
I'm always up for it, but I wasn't sure whether you wanted to set something up or not first, based on the last time we talked about it. Particuarly, somewhere to upload/mirror the mods as I add their records in.

I've long since realised that it would be better to set up the database in a place easier to work with than the forums, and that it's preferable to at least get some record up and fill in the details later rather than replay them all (although some I'll need to play to remember which they are). These days I could fairly easily throw up a google doc and start filling that in; I think that would be a good start anyway because all the info I want to track may not be necessary for a more aethetically-inclined site archive.

Feb 4, 2016 at 8:44 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
@andwhyisit - I want to know if this is something I'll need to host on my own or are you willing to have it be a part of cavestory.org
If you don't mind a lack of ftp access (there's pretty much only one ftp account for everything) then there is no reason why I can't host it.

Feb 4, 2016 at 3:16 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
If you don't mind a lack of ftp access (there's pretty much only one ftp account for everything) then there is no reason why I can't host it.
I can deal with it.
I'm assuming I've got a plain-jane LAMP stack to work with? If there's any technical details I should know PM me.
I'm always up for it, but I wasn't sure whether you wanted to set something up or not first, based on the last time we talked about it. Particuarly, somewhere to upload/mirror the mods as I add their records in.

I've long since realised that it would be better to set up the database in a place easier to work with than the forums, and that it's preferable to at least get some record up and fill in the details later rather than replay them all (although some I'll need to play to remember which they are). These days I could fairly easily throw up a google doc and start filling that in; I think that would be a good start anyway because all the info I want to track may not be necessary for a more aethetically-inclined site archive.
Yeah, last time I wasn't really quite ready to get to work on it but I think now is a better time. I think a google doc would be a good place to start, then you can organize some content and start thinking about what's important to have on the page while I'm setting it up.

and for the rest, I'll leave it up to DT to decide who should help curate and how you want to set up communication (because I assume you'll want a way to get in touch with each other to report on how things are going).

Feb 4, 2016 at 3:52 PM
Modding Community Discord Moderator
CSE Discord Moderator
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I would also be really interested in joining this if at all possible...
Are we going to be using an MS Exel style chart, or something different?

Feb 4, 2016 at 4:21 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I would also be really interested in joining this if at all possible...
Are we going to be using an MS Exel style chart, or something different?
Sounds like a fine start towards the bigger picture. A normal document would get cluttered and inconvenient pretty quickly.

Feb 5, 2016 at 3:15 PM
Professional Whatever
We might want a template for recording information but I don't see any reason not to go gather links or anything.

By the way, I've been gathering some information on the oldest mods. Obviously I won't be able to find many download links but I'm grabbing thread references and update dates for the mods. I realize we haven't finalized what we want to do and who we want to do it but this might make it easier to go through the various mod threads in the category. I know one mod by caveoholic! has like seven different threads.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2016 at 9:05 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
These are the main things I forsee actually needing help from others with:
-Providing information for mods I haven't played, as they're added in
-Dubs checking to make sure all entries are accurate
-Uploading anything I don't have or can't get
-General discussion/extra info is always nice

I'll try to have a template with a few entries up by tomorrow night. I'm not sure having a 'team' would make it any easier, anyone should be able to mention info if they have it, while at the same time it wouldn't really suit to make the document 100% public and in that case all others would be doing is filling in info slightly before I get around to it.

Feb 6, 2016 at 2:13 PM
Professional Whatever
I've made a document listing the name, author, thread link, download link (if available) and last update date for every mod except for those on the most recent ten pages in showcase. I plan on finishing those ten pages very soon.

Some general description grabbing for mods might be helpful, I didn't get anything like that yet. I can upload what I have now if need be.