Can't import new save

Jan 24, 2009 at 9:18 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hi all,

I was playing Cave Story at the SG level. After watching a youtube video in order to figure out how to get past that first part, I realized the player had 50 health, whilst I had only 47. I quickly realized I had missed a life capsule and just went to grab a save from the CS tribute site. However, I can't get the new save to load. I put it where I believe you are supposed to no avail. If it helps, I installed the game via the deluxe package installer.

Thanks,
Matthew

Jan 24, 2009 at 9:35 PM
Been here way too long...
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
What is the save file called? Its exact name.

Jan 24, 2009 at 9:47 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Kaeso said:
What is the save file called? Its exact name.

Huh? If you mean the one I DL'd I renamed profile.dat.

Jan 24, 2009 at 9:53 PM
And it's in the cavestory folder? If it is try deleting the .dat from the name.

Jan 24, 2009 at 9:58 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Tried that. It changed the file type from Dat to File, which is the placeholder name for a file that does nothing. I'm uploading a vid to Youtube now to show exactly what the problem is.

Jan 24, 2009 at 10:18 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Deleting the .dat would work if you had extensions hidden, but it seems you don't...

Jan 24, 2009 at 10:57 PM
Hmn...

1st scenario: The only difference between your save and the one you downloaded is that the latter has 3 more hp right? It's unlikely but maybe you didn't notice the hp? (I know its unlikely but I'm just thinking of every possible problem)

2nd scenario: Why wasn't there a profile.dat in there at first? maybe you should try searching for the original profile.dat and put the new one where it is. That'd be wierd though because its supposed to be in the cavestory folder. Wouldn't be too hard just use the search function to search your cavestory folder only.

If everything else fails maybe you should reinstall cave story so everything is from scratch and put the profile there.

Jan 24, 2009 at 11:04 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Kaeso said:
Hmn...

1st scenario: The only difference between your save and the one you downloaded is that the latter has 3 more hp right? It's unlikely but maybe you didn't notice the hp? (I know its unlikely but I'm just thinking of every possible problem)

Nope, that's not it. First thing I thought of too :)

Kaeso said:
2nd scenario: Why wasn't there a profile.dat in there at first? maybe you should try searching for the original profile.dat and put the new one where it is. That'd be weird though because its supposed to be in the cavestory folder. Wouldn't be too hard just use the search function to search your cavestory folder only.

That's the thing. No file named profile.dat exists on my computer. It's absolutely bizarre.

Kaeso said:
If everything else fails maybe you should reinstall cave story so everything is from scratch and put the profile there.

Will try that as a lst resort. See if I can't get a few opinions first ;)

Jan 25, 2009 at 3:34 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
I think when you download the game there is no profile.dat. It doesn't appear until you actually save your game.

But unless you got through the game without ever saving, that couldn't be the problem...

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:27 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Celtic Minstrel said:
I think when you download the game there is no profile.dat. It doesn't appear until you actually save your game.

But unless you got through the game without ever saving, that couldn't be the problem...

Yea. Still haven't figured it out yet.

Jul 1, 2009 at 4:59 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I have a similar problem. I tried to find the save file to copy it on my new PC and continue the game where I left off. But there's no profile.dat to be found in the folder.
I know it must be somewhere, since the game loads correctly, but I've tried full system searches for it, with no results.
Maybe it's got something to do with Vista?

Jul 1, 2009 at 5:21 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
ok, it seems i found it. it was on a hidden folder: C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Cave Story Deluxe\CaveStory\Profile.dat