Can anyone name this mod?

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:41 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I found this picture:
p147315-0-balrog.png

And I haven't been able to find the mod it belongs to. If anyone knows, it'd be greatly appreciated.
Sorry if this topic doesn't fit in this forum.

Jan 28, 2012 at 1:01 AM
"Huzzah!"
No idea... I WANT THIS MOD!

Arts resembles Shism, IMO.

Jan 28, 2012 at 1:08 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I believe it was the first mod made by ZTaimat.
Yup

Jan 28, 2012 at 2:16 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
:) Thanks for the fast answer. Now does anyone know how andwhyisit ports mods to the psp?

Jan 28, 2012 at 7:41 AM
"Huzzah!"
Um... it depends on how complex the mod is. It could be as simple as packing it properly, to as complex as full-blown assembly hacking. Andwhyitis is pretty busy, so it'd probably take a while, assuming he does take the job.

Ahem, in the meantime, I will see whether *I* can port the mod to PSP. I've got the tools for doing so - andwhyitis helped me with my own mod.

I might be able to get you a working version of the mod for PSP... Maybe. Get back to you soon.

edit: Someone please provide working download link.

To answer your question: PSP porting requires several things - a hex editor, a PSP version of Cave Story, and a utility that injects modified into the PBP. The process gets horribly complex if the mod exceeds the 95 map limit, or uses extensive hacks.

edit2:
found a link to chapters 1-6 demo, but MegaUpload is dead. AAAARGH! Was this mod ever actually finished?

Jan 28, 2012 at 8:07 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Assembly hacks on PSP is not really a possibility, Andy's tried and succeeded with a few very simple hacks, but anything beyond basic variable alteration is a little out of the question.

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:14 AM
"Huzzah!"
Assembly hacks on PSP is not really a possibility, Andy's tried and succeeded with a few very simple hacks, but anything beyond basic variable alteration is a little out of the question.
My sentiments exactly. If this mod does use anything non-kosher, I'll have to simplify for the PSP version. But from what I'm reading it was made with Sue's, so it's probably not going to be TOO problematic.

I shudder to think how difficult the Schism Demo must have been to port. It has multiple playable characters for a start.

Still waiting/searching for a download link, BTW.

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:02 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Um... it depends on how complex the mod is. It could be as simple as packing it properly, to as complex as full-blown assembly hacking. Andwhyitis is pretty busy, so it'd probably take a while, assuming he does take the job.

Ahem, in the meantime, I will see whether *I* can port the mod to PSP. I've got the tools for doing so - andwhyitis helped me with my own mod.

I might be able to get you a working version of the mod for PSP... Maybe. Get back to you soon.

edit: Someone please provide working download link.

To answer your question: PSP porting requires several things - a hex editor, a PSP version of Cave Story, and a utility that injects modified into the PBP. The process gets horribly complex if the mod exceeds the 95 map limit, or uses extensive hacks.

edit2:
found a link to chapters 1-6 demo, but MegaUpload is dead. AAAARGH! Was this mod ever actually finished?
Sounds pretty hard >_> I have a little experience with Hex Editors but the only thing I edited was images. Makes a nice glitchy effect on the image.

I'll see if I can find a working link, or if I can contact ZTaimat for a link or more info about the mod.

I've been reading that topic (the one that you made about porting), too, to see if I could figure it out.

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:18 PM
Been here way too long...
It has multiple playable characters for a start.
Sure, but that was achieved through the use of the mimiga mask, so there weren't any hacks involved or anything.
afaik, the only hack in schism is one which extends the tsc buffer.
The new music etc. was probably the difficult part to port.

also
Was this mod ever actually finished?
There are less than five non-trivial mods that have been completed. The first to be completed was TWoR. Nobody has worked on this since before TWoR was released, so the answer is pretty clearly no.

Jan 28, 2012 at 7:27 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
:/ Well, that's disappointing. Maybe he's still working on it? He did say
This one I'm going to stick with until I finish it ^_^

...right? :| Anyway... I sent him an email on MSN with Opera's handy dandy built-in email client. *checks email without even leaving tab* no reply yet.

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:50 PM
"Huzzah!"
Just a bump. Can someone please dig up a working dowload link for act 1-6 or better? I really want to get cracking on the PSP port.

The mod is called 'The Eternal Chaos'.

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:38 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
AFAIK the URLs for both of the Eternal Chaos games in the quickie guide are up to date (the links are not because IP Board thinks removing the tags on everything makes it clever)

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:38 AM
"Huzzah!"
Thanks a million, Doublethink. I grabbed 2.0 (seems to be chapters 1-8)

I'm getting seriously worried already. I think this mod might exceed the PSP map limit. But NEVER FEAR! I WILL PORT THIS MOD IF IT KILLS ME!
(AND IF I DISCOVER IT'S ALREADY BEEN PORTED BUT NO-ONE TOLD ME, I'LL STAB MYSELF!)

Jan 31, 2012 at 6:04 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Ambient_Malice, Can you upload all chapters in a Zip file? can't find any link for them.
I really wanna clear the mod and add it to my collection of played and completed mods :)

Thanks in advance // SpikedArrow

Jan 31, 2012 at 7:08 AM
"Huzzah!"
http://www.mediafire.com/?sydy16cf6kvj2ab

That's the one I downloaded, thanks to DoubleThink above. The port is proceeding fairly smoothly. All the PBMs are in 16 million colours, which screws the PSP until they're palette fixed.

I'm guessing the port will be done in a week. I'm not only going to port, I'm going to fix the badly designed bits of the TSC scripts. I'm seeing lots of room for improvement.

The one big hurdle will be the bizzare FACES file. It's massive, and I'm suspecting it won't run on the PSP. But I'm yet to test it yet - right now I'm fixing pbms.

I want the PSP version to be the definitive version.

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:47 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
FACES as in faces? Why does he need so many faces?

Still no reply. I think his MSN's dead.

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:17 AM
"Huzzah!"
FACES as in faces? Why does he need so many faces?

Still no reply. I think his MSN's dead.

It's difficult to explain... basically he's got dozens of facial expressions... Which... sort of all look the same. I'm not sure how it's supposed to function. I'm going to do some more testing tonight. I have a feeling he did some assembly hacks, because the first chapter skips automatically on the PSP at the moment.

It's possible he's just really, really busy. I hope he doesn't mind me porting this without his permission.

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:35 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
You'll have better luck finding him in #doukutsu (it's his channel after all), or maybe on Skype

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:29 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
You can have a ridiculous amout of face pics if you want them, as long as you extend the .pbm downwards <FAC can accurately count facepics.
That isn't assembly hacking, it's Pixel being a genius.

And as Lace said, there is only one assembly hack in the mod, the TSC buffer.

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:59 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"