Boss Names

May 23, 2014 at 7:37 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
They actually do have internal names, Pixel just didn't make them very obvious or easy to find. I'll list them here in order:
ShieldPlant
Gorgon
Dekaigyo
(The truck literally has no name, I'll look into that.)
Dark2
ClockMan
Shacho (President's name, boss name is listed as ShachoC, and ShachoB.)
BossPlate

Hope this helps! These names are listed in the text folder, in the various boss text documents.

May 23, 2014 at 7:44 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Not really memorable, are they?

May 23, 2014 at 7:47 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Not particularly. The game just uses these names as a reference to make the bosses appear.

May 23, 2014 at 8:38 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Bramblestar1227 said:
They actually do have internal names, Pixel just didn't make them very obvious or easy to find. I'll list them here in order:
ShieldPlant
Gorgon
Dekaigyo
(The truck literally has no name, I'll look into that.)
Dark2
ClockMan
Shacho (President's name, boss name is listed as ShachoC, and ShachoB.)
BossPlate
Dekaigyo literally means "Huge fish", and Shacho literally means "President".

May 23, 2014 at 10:21 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Hm, I see...

The only name that sounds vastly different to what I wrote is Gorgon, and that...makes little sense, I think. A lot of the others are either abbreviations or just alternative names. Do you think I need to note these in the post? For that matter, any suggestions for improving the names I already came up with? I know they aren't all very good.

May 24, 2014 at 3:59 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Maybe:
Armoured Flower
Gorgon
Giant Fish
???
Dark Entity
Time Runner
President
Hekichi Server

May 24, 2014 at 4:19 AM
Professional Whatever
Honestly I really liked Dark Tentacle Blob, and it had a good acronym too. Other than that the names aren't too bad.

May 24, 2014 at 5:00 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
We should name the stage-4 tank "Monster Y".

I'm half serious.

May 25, 2014 at 3:47 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Ah-HAH! Success! The internal name for the truck is "N577". No wonder Bramble couldn't find it.

May 26, 2014 at 12:26 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
cat said:
Honestly I really liked Dark Tentacle Blob, and it had a good acronym too. Other than that the names aren't too bad.
Dark Tentacle Blob (along with Time Runner) was my favorite of the original names I came up with. :3

I don't think it needs to be changed, really.

EnlightenedOne said:
We should name the stage-4 tank "Monster Y".
I'm half serious.
I actually considered that. :p

Still, it doesn't resemble Monster X's tank at all, and in retrospect it does look more like a truck than a tank. So yeah...

andwhyisit said:
Ah-HAH! Success! The internal name for the truck is "N577". No wonder Bramble couldn't find it.
Just rolls off the tongue, huh? :p

Anyways, um...I did decide to change it to Armoured Flower, since the reference to Omega is unecessary, a tad forced, and may even be undescriptive for those who haven't played Cave Story. I still don't get Gorgon, at all. I don't see how four-legged mud creatures relate to gorgons. It's surprising that you decided not to dispute Giant Fish - while it works, and it's close to the internal names (which you seemed to favor), it's very generic. I honestly think Dark Entity isn't a very good replacement for Dark Tentacle Blob, and I'm glad you preferred Time Runner. President isn't a big change, but "Hekichi Server" is straight out of left field! Do you think the final boss is connected to the Hekichi Plateau somehow? I didn't see that in my playthroughs of the game, and I still don't...I did originally think of calling it "Corrupt Server", that's what it struck me as, but I eventually settled on it as more of a monolith.

May 26, 2014 at 12:48 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Dark Tentacle Blob is more a description than a real name. Dark Entity has more in common with the internal name and has a mysterious quality to it.

In any case I've asked Pixel what the actual names are.

Polaris said:
President isn't a big change, but "Hekichi Server" is straight out of left field! Do you think the final boss is connected to the Hekichi Plateau somehow?
Of course. Re-read the dialogue before Hekichi Plateau. The source of the dark blob enemies is a server at Hekichi Plateau, one that is notably absent from the server room at the end of the level.

May 30, 2014 at 5:14 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Wow, I'm sorry, I kind of died. :toroko:

I don't quite agree with you, I think, but the story and final boss are so ambiguous and interpretable and it's really late and I don't want to discuss why just yet. I might get back to you on that.

Anyway, next plan:record all the dialogue in the game! Y'know, from all the cute little cutscenes. Thank you for reminding me, Andwhy. I'll try to start tomorrow. -w-

Oh, also. "Entity" has as much to do with the number 2 as "Tentacle Blob".

May 30, 2014 at 5:26 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Oh, right. That's a thing you can do...

I can still record it manually, so no one has to bother posting it or anything like that. If you meant that it wouldn't be needed, it would be quite the help for iOS players who can't just open up files like PC players can.

Tomorrow I should try to improve my high score, too...haven't gotten a chance to play much Kero Blaster with all of the work I've been brought to and looming arbitrary final exams. I don't think I have much of a chance of beating GIR anymore, especially since one game-breaking trick to finish off the truck with no time doesn't seem to be possible on iOS...also, massive skill gap. But I'd like to get much closer.

Jun 2, 2014 at 2:43 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Polaris said:
Oh, also. "Entity" has as much to do with the number 2 as "Tentacle Blob".
If you call something "Dark" you can also call it a "Dark Entity" without adding any meaning to the name, but whilst creating a better sense of context than using an adjective in the place of a noun. "Hey look, it's a dark entity" is better than "hey look, it's a dark". A dark? A dark what? A dark thing? A dark entity? "Entity" preserves the ambiguity of the original name, it means little more than "something that is dark", but "Tentacle Blob" adds considerably to the meaning of the original name and destroys its ambiguity.

The dark blob enemies were referred as "dark things" before they got an actual name. The game never used the word "blob" or "tentacle" once to describe them. If not something ambiguous like "entity", or "thing" then something that describes its size compared to its smaller siblings would make sense.