Boss Battle Strategies

Nov 21, 2010 at 5:58 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
So I've been able to fight every boss up to Ballos, but there's definately something wrong with my battle strategy.

My boss strategy consists of spamming X (or firing lvl 3 lasers w/spur) and running.

Anyone else have a better plan? :rolleyes:

Nov 21, 2010 at 8:06 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
If you're on the first stage of Ballos and want to use the spur, just charge to level 3 max and fire when he comes down. You'll want to lead him in a sort of rectangular loop around the room.

If you have the nemesis, you can also try shooting at him continuously along with Curly. The other weapons will also work; they just need different strategies.

Nov 21, 2010 at 5:48 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I didn't get the Nemisis, but I'll usually use Curly's do more damage per single shot than the spur.

Nov 21, 2010 at 6:23 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Arkay said:
I didn't get the Nemisis, but I'll usually use Curly's do more damage per single shot than the spur.

Here's the trick: firing level 1 spur shots (which have no onscreen limit) away from ballos will fire limitless nemesis shots from curly that can't level up.
Use that it you are just spamming.

Nov 22, 2010 at 12:13 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
Level 3 nemisis owns anything, just give it about 20 minutes.

Nov 22, 2010 at 12:37 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Aaaaah reverse doom text D:

But yeah the important part for Ballos' first stage is to make sure you don't get hit, even if it takes a while to down him. With Curly's Nemesis he should never last long enough to spam a second round of lightning, at most.

Nov 23, 2010 at 2:02 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I was actually able to last 1 minute and 20 seconds with Ballos by dodging him while charging the spur to level 3. Usually takes a nice chunk out.

As for the lightning, I'd have to say that I need to keep moving.

Listening to Highway to Hell might have also helped. XD

Nov 23, 2010 at 4:21 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Arkay said:
I was actually able to last 1 minute and 20 seconds with Ballos by dodging him while charging the spur to level 3. Usually takes a nice chunk out.

This is not time effective generally.
Taking longer>more damage taken>bleh

Arkay said:
As for the lightning, I'd have to say that I need to keep moving.
always and forever.
You don't really need to move a whole bunch, just make sure not to be where the crosshairs are.
that sounds pretty obvious, but I always forget..

Arkay said:
Listening to Highway to Hell might have also helped. XD

Definitely. I prescribe a large dose of Highway to Hell, providing you do not find Hell's BGM good, in which case DIE.

Nov 23, 2010 at 9:32 PM
Pirate Member
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Hell's BGM doesn't play during the Ballos fight
iirc, you get the three boss songs, Gravity, Eyes of Flame, and Last Battle

Nov 23, 2010 at 10:54 PM
Hey.
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Malpercio said:
Hell's BGM doesn't play during the Ballos fight
iirc, you get the three boss songs, Gravity, Eyes of Flame, and Last Battle

There are actually four boss songs, though the fourth doesn't play against Ballos. The fourth is Charge.

Nov 24, 2010 at 3:52 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
cultr1 said:
Definitely. I prescribe a large dose of Highway to Hell, providing you do not find Hell's BGM good, in which case DIE.
It's not that I find the BGM bad, it's just that I think Highway to Hell is more appropriate. X]

Now how do I even get a dent on that massive head of his?

Nov 24, 2010 at 4:02 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Arkay said:
It's not that I find the BGM bad, it's just that I think Highway to Hell is more appropriate. X]

Now how do I even get a dent on that massive head of his?

Jump into his left eye or right eye (yes you can stand there) and spam missiles. Or, just fire the spur. Either way, aim for his eyes and use the booster to keep off the ground.

Dec 2, 2010 at 8:10 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Spamming Missiles into his eyes is probably the most effective way, though the Level 3 Spur will also hit both his eyes and deal lots of damage.

Just saying because you want the 3rd form to be over with really really quickly.

Jan 2, 2011 at 1:17 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
Ollie said:
There are actually four boss songs, though the fourth doesn't play against Ballos. The fourth is Charge.

Five. Oppression.

Jan 2, 2011 at 1:56 PM
If you guys REALLY want to play this game it's 6 boss battle themes.

Jan 2, 2011 at 2:34 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Gravity, Eyes of Flame, Oppression, Charge, Last Battle, and...

...OOoooh, we're a clever one.

Jan 2, 2011 at 2:45 PM
"..."
Vercci said:
If you guys REALLY want to play this game it's 6 boss battle themes.

I presume you mean "Run!"?

Eh, it plays outside of boss battles more than in them.

(Yes, I know Gravity plays outside of a boss battle, too, but for all of 5 seconds, so it doesn't count.)

Jan 2, 2011 at 4:58 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I don't know if this was mentioned before, but you can just go inside of Ballos while he's resting to get yourself the blinking invincibily thus allowing you to spam blade level 2/Nemesis. You only lose 3 hp by touching him when he's down on the ground, but be careful when he starts charging towards you - that's when you want to avoid being inside of him.

If done correctly you lose less than 20 hp, besides you get some of them back while he's transforming to his second form.

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:08 AM
magic9mushroom said:
I presume you mean "Run!"?

Eh, it plays outside of boss battles more than in them.

(Yes, I know Gravity plays outside of a boss battle, too, but for all of 5 seconds, so it doesn't count.)

I consider a boss battle theme any track that plays against a enemy with a health bar.

So ironhead + run, yeah.

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:52 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
This is my strategy. I use the Snake.

First form: You don't have to move left or right. Getting the timing correct, jump/boost up a little just when he charges at you, shoot down, shoot up, and hop to avoid the bones when he lands (shoot while hopping). Use the Nemesis for this bit. After four of these, you will have removed about half of his health. Ballos will jump into the air. Stay where you are and spam the Nemesis directly up as fast as you can. You should be able to kill him before the first lightning strike commences.

Between first and second forms there is a brief interlude. I suggest you walk all the way to the left corner of the room (you can walk through the spikes without taking damage during the interlude).

Second form: Boost up onto Ballo's right eyeball (you can stand on it) and unleash blasts into it. Don't stop shooting, because when Ballos jumps he will throw you into the green demons, and you want your shots to kill them to avoid collisions (which causes you to take damage and jump in recoil, making landing back on Ballo's eye difficult). Depending on choice you can either use your Nemesis or Snake if the Snake is levelled up (because shooting the green demons drops a few XP nachos which you inadvertendtly pick up. The Snake is more resilient to picking up XP, while the Nemesis outputs more damage and doesn't become weaker when you take damage. If your Nemesis gains XP, switch to using Curly's gun). Feel free to use a few super missiles to save some time, because you don't need the whole lot to kill final form Ballos. IIRC, if you levelled it up to max you only need 5 for final form.

Keep track of where your character is and try not to fall off the ridge of his eye, because getting back up wastes precious time. If you're fast enough, you might have killed this form of Ballos when hes on the far right of the room.

Third form: Ballos will orbit around the room and your aim is to destroy his floating eye orbs as quickly as possible. Starting from the right, lead Ballos slightly and use Curly's backblast from behind (Switch to Snake or Rocket Launcher as there may be some XP left from the previous form). When you get to the left side, walk in between the eyeballs and follow Ballos from below, firing upwards as fast as you can using the Nemesis. Repeat until you've destroyed all the eyes. If you're fast you can manage this in 1 or 2 orbits.

Final form: Stand on the floor directly below the side of Ballos. Wait until the pitchforks come pushing out of the ground, let yourself get hit by it, and exploit the temporary invincibilty to boost all the way onto Ballo's eye. When he activates, pump super missiles into him. He should go down quite quickly.