Annual CSTSF Mod competition?

Dec 22, 2014 at 7:46 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Just an idea

What if we were enter out mods into an annual competition for judging and the sort and we could win certain trophies for certain aspects of the mods, such as:

Curly Brace trophy - Best original character in a mod

Sand Zone trophy - Best area in a mod

Ma Pignon trophy - Best side quest

Moonsong trophy - Best music in a mod

Critter Trophy - Best enemy in a mod

Ballos trophy - Best boss in a mod

Core room trophy - Most original concept for a mod

the Enlightned one trophy - Craziest idea in a mod

Hero and Heroine trophy - You get this if you successfully incorporate a two player mode (simultaneous) into your game

N0Xid trophy - Best assembly hack in a mod

Homing missile trophy - Best Proof of Concept in a mod

It's butte-full Trophy - Hardest area in a mod

Kanpachi trophy - Most improved mod from last year.

All entries would be received on April 1st (since April first is a big thing around here anyway) and reviewed for one week, You are given this time to fix bugs and resubmit your mod for a final evaluation.

So how does that sound guys?

Dec 22, 2014 at 7:49 PM
thinks dogs are cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
so basically the kanpachis

Dec 22, 2014 at 7:53 PM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
Spirit Drifter said:
so basically the kanpachis
No, that only has a "best mod" catagory and it revolves around the forums, not CS mods.

This is more in-depth look at the aspect of mods themselves.

Dec 22, 2014 at 8:32 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
My suggestions:
- We only have about half of the suggested trophies (6 would be a lot better than 13).
- It shouldn't be April 1st, well, we could do it then, but that's a bit awkward.
- You don't have to name a trophy after me. Yeah I'm creative but that's a tad biased.

Dec 22, 2014 at 8:51 PM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
Enlight: Why would half be better? More trophys show the best parts of a mod and how good the mod actually is, if it dominates every category, it says a lot more than just winning a few of them.

Doors: I'm offering a better solution than praising old mods (not that old mods are bad of course) and it helps keep the modding community active.

Dec 22, 2014 at 9:20 PM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Shouldn't we focus on the current Mod Competition?

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:46 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I personally don't think that the modding community is active enough for there to be much competition or for it to be very meaningful to win an award from this. I find this very unnecessary.

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:59 PM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
HaydenStudios said:
I personally don't think that the modding community is active enough for there to be much competition or for it to be very meaningful to win an award from this. I find this very unnecessary.
I find the quarterly modding awards even more so tbh.

Dec 22, 2014 at 11:20 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
BLink said:
I wouldn't mind some feedback so I know why you see it as such.

Well you got your wish anyway, because I completely forgot to start the nominations for this quarter last month.

Dec 22, 2014 at 11:36 PM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
Why an annual contest is better:

1. It encourages new/working on mods
2. You have a short at winning at least one trophy, so it gives a reason to participate.
3. indirect competition against other users. aka It gives extra incentive to make a good mod
4. It's better and more organized then the random contests that newbs show up and present every once in a while.
5. It sets a "staple" release date on mods, modders will try to be done in time to release on the submission day.
6. It could eventually lead to grand mods that have been improved and worked on for 3 or 4 years.

The quarterly mod awards doesn't have this, it just brings old mods out and gives them glory, it doesn't really add anything to the community.

I don't like the quarterly mod awards because it just brings older mods to our attention, and doesn't really do much else. (provided, I don't mind praising older mods and stuff, it's just not for me, I want to make things personally)

Dec 23, 2014 at 12:46 AM
Based Member
BLink said:
There's a lot more room for competition for the quarterly awards andwhy does, since that encompasses all mods created over this site's history, whereas this would only judge mods submitted over the last year. Having such a high competitor to award ratio is the main reason I'm not very fond of this idea. If it's so easy to win an award, then doing so will mean very little.

BLink said:
It sets a "staple" release date on mods, modders will try to be done in time to release on the submission day.
Rushing the release of a mod can lead to it being lower quality. The smart modder knows that the best mods are those which are not rushed.

BLink said:
It could eventually lead to grand mods that have been improved and worked on for 3 or 4 years.
I think it's a bit optimistic to think that these awards are capable of motivating someone to do that who otherwise wouldn't.

Most of your reasons for this being potentially interesting are fairly valid, my only problem is that having so many categories wouldn't make it very competitive given how small this community is, let alone the subdivision of active users here who make mods. If you cut down on the number of categories, then I might be more in favor of this.

Dec 23, 2014 at 1:09 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Okay guys but consider this - what if it weren't an annual awards thing like the Kanpachis, but an annual contest, not unlike the contest going on right now? Like seriously this out of nowhere contest proposal sparked life in the modding community like nothing else. If we had an annual modding contest in december or whatever, I feel like there would be quite a lot of interest. The modding scene for this sort of thing is better now than it was a couple of years ago.

Dec 23, 2014 at 2:09 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
post quality is shit anyway I don't even know what I'd nominate for in 2014
modding contests would be more fun

Dec 23, 2014 at 3:48 AM
Off-screen redemption arc
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
This sounds pretty cool.

Dec 23, 2014 at 5:02 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
So, if we were to do this, does it start on this upcoming First of April or does it end?

Basically, are we going to host one in 2015 even though a full year will have not gone by since inception?

Dec 23, 2014 at 6:08 AM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
Yeah, I mean we have some 4 months to go, and the ones at the highest disadvantage are me and Noxid me starting 5 days ago, and Nox a month or so. (arguably the best active modders at the moment)

We have that long to sort out trophy names and the details then *cracks knuckles*