Agora's Legends ~ Minnasan no Monogatari

Aug 15, 2007 at 12:30 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
This isn't just another mod of Cave Story with the same old enemies and the same old weapons and the same old characters in different maps using the same old tiles.

In fact, it might not be considered a mod at all, as the goal of this project is to prevent most differences from normal Cave Story.

What is it, then?

The Echidna Tribe presents... Agora's Legends.
Minnasan Monogatari. Everyone Story.

This is a complete engine rewrite. Designed with extensive moddability and compatibility specifically in mind. I am taking the useful tables, object-specific programming, and so on that was in the executable, Doukutsu.exe, and turning them into their own separate files.

All of the weapons and objects (including the player) will be programmable using Lua scripting. New objects will be able to specify the sheet they use such that the object can be used on any map, regardless of the map itself specifying the necessary sheet.

New Org files can be used in your maps, new sound effects can be played by your scripts, new and epic boss fights can be produced. This is everyone's story.

What that also means, of course, is that everyone can play it. On any system they like, as I am coding it in such a way that it will be easily ported. As any character they like. I intend to keep characters and weapons separate from mods, though the mods may choose which weapons are available and if you are forced to use a specific character.

The size of the sprites in the character sheets will be per-character as well. No longer are you limited to tiny 16x16 pipsqueaks. People will play as Balrog. In fact, I already mentioned that the player's programming can be changed. You can make your character behave however you like. You can fly around like Misery shooting off magic beams every which way if you wish. I will not limit you.

Most importantly, though, I wish for everyone to create and play together. Thus far, I have been coding on the trust that you, the English-speaking Cave Story community, will use the power wisely. My last gift to you in Agora's Legends is that of netplay. The ability to host and join networked games together, where each client determines what their character is doing and what other characters it effects and what NPC scripts run for them. This is still only a little more advanced and complete than weapons at this point, I still have a long way to go in very many aspects of the project, but I hope for many good things to be had as a result already.

Unfortunately, I fear that everyone in the community has begun their own rendition of this project in the time between when I began myself and when I announced it. Thus, I may be forced to do everything on my own, and when that happens I can no longer guarantee this project will ever fully meet these ends. For now, all I can do is leave you a link and hope you will see. I will be keeping my own forum and the website up to date on the project there, for anyone who joins me...

http://JTE.KidRadd.org/AGL/
The Echidna Tribe welcomes all.

Aug 15, 2007 at 12:46 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Awesomeness

Aug 15, 2007 at 1:05 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
andwhyisit said:
Awesomeness
wow so you can talk to others? and attack?

Aug 15, 2007 at 2:11 PM
Hoxtilicious
Yes, you and me saw it a few minutes ago :x
Anyhow you can play online with it NOW! :D
But still you cant shoot but jumping and talking :3

Aug 15, 2007 at 9:03 PM
Hoxtilicious
Well you alreay can play online with it, I made a server with a mod (Just jumping around - Weapons doesn't work anyway :/).

http://filespace.org/ShInInG_PhAnToM/Kingnew.zip

Just download the mod and execute King.bat, then press 'join' ingame and enter the following IP adress: 84.131.102.104

My IP adress changes 1 time a day, but I will edit this post when it does.

Aug 15, 2007 at 9:47 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
S. P. Gardebiter said:
Well you alreay can play online with it, I made a server with a mod (Just jumping around - Weapons doesn't work anyway :/).

http://filespace.org/ShInInG_PhAnToM/Kingnew.zip

Just download the mod and execute King.bat, then press 'join' ingame and enter the following IP adress: 84.131.102.104

My IP adress changes 1 time a day, but I will edit this post when it does.
Um, there isn't a King.bat in that whole zip file. :D

Aug 15, 2007 at 11:44 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
cant acesss the file somereason.. damn school internet :D

EDIT- nevermind it worked with your post from the JTE guy's site :rolleyes:

Aug 16, 2007 at 12:29 AM
Guy with Sword
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
The plain cave story data file does not seem to work on my computer. It gets to the part where you can move the character, but as soon as you do, the game shuts down. King's works better, but if you use guns, it shuts down. BTW, where in the game are you guys on that?

Otherwise, this is absolutely awesome.

Aug 16, 2007 at 12:53 AM
Been here way too long...
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
I'll try to hang out there as much as I can so that there's someone there to talk to.
Bear in mind that if you don't load King's mod, but connect to the server, you can still talk to people playing King's mod.

Aug 16, 2007 at 12:56 AM
Guy with Sword
What we really need is to get rid of those blocks so we can mess around in Mimiga Village.

Aug 16, 2007 at 12:57 AM
you have to do it yourself...
If you want, I'll post an "exploration mod" so that we can mess around all of CS.

Aug 16, 2007 at 1:12 AM
Guy with Sword
Great! *rolls up sleeves* This will be fun.

Why do all of the ORGs sound so...distonate?

EDIT: How do you change your name in king's?

Aug 16, 2007 at 1:20 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
when i pressed new in kings mod it closed :D

Aug 16, 2007 at 1:22 AM
Guy with Sword
Go to 'Join'.

Remember, this is still a beta, and there are bugs out the wazoo.

But really, how do you change your name?

Aug 16, 2007 at 1:23 AM
I'm futzing around with the exploration mod, I'll probably give to you guys in a few hours. I'm still in King's Mod, if anyone's gonna be there.
Change your name by starting to chat with the space bar, then
"/nick [desired name]"

Aug 16, 2007 at 1:27 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
Atravir said:
Go to 'Join'.

Remember, this is still a beta, and there are bugs out the wazoo.

But really, how do you change your name?

cant join im at school currently and they block any internet connecting programs that arn't school stuff

EDIT- YAY 600th post

Aug 16, 2007 at 8:18 AM
Hoxtilicious
Server up again note that it quit before about 6 hours.

IP: 84.131.119.52

Downloadlink: http://filespace.org/ShInInG_PhAnToM/Kingnew.zip

Nator said:
you have to do it yourself...
If you want, I'll post an "exploration mod" so that we can mess around all of CS.

Well Im already making the headers for this which are needed for all future "loading" of the map, but editing the maps is not a good idea: You better wait for a gun to shoot special blocks and a booster rather than editing maps now and have a new version in 2 days or something lol

Aug 16, 2007 at 11:05 AM
Hoxtilicious