A Review Section?

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:12 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
would it be a bad idea to have a review section for the featured hacks on the site?

I think it would help users discern what hack are worth playing and what ones are not. and overall help the maker(s) of the hack know how to improve on the game. ect. ect. ect.

yes or no?

Apr 12, 2013 at 4:03 PM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
No.
There is the wonderful grace of the wondrous modding/hacking general discussion, why would we need that?

Apr 12, 2013 at 5:19 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Yeah, I agree with Chef, it would be pretty pointless considering there is the discussions page and if people wanted reviews of a mod before downloading it they could just scroll down the thread and see what other people think of the mod/hack before downloading it.

Apr 12, 2013 at 9:23 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Maybe someone could start a reviews thread?

Apr 12, 2013 at 9:29 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I think there should be some sort of review section for all of the mods in the "Quickie Guide to the Mods Section" thread. It would give someone a good idea of what mod to download.

Apr 12, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
It's mod
A hack is using ASM to change the game, a mod is using an editor and maybe resource hacker to change the game

More on-topic, the general consensus is that the following mods are the top of the line: King: Strife and Sacrifice, WTF Story, Shism, Jenka's Nightmare (modding perfection) and whatever Runelancer's was called. Runelancer's and JN are both abandoned, though Runelancer's is working on another mod and JN has been revived at least twice. Of course, after this are the less-renowned mods. There are more of these than there are the primo ones, but they're for the most part all still being updated. Two in particular I'd suggest are Amamichi and Operation Delta: Space Attack, both of with go against convention of regular CS mods.

That's pretty much what the review section would be, so I don't think it's necessary to have a whole section for it. Maybe a thread, but nothing more than that. I'd say DT should put it in his guide to the modding section but that never gets updated.

Apr 13, 2013 at 5:20 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
First off, are ratings for threads broken? I see the option to rate a thread in some, like in the Game Media forum, but not the General Gaming forum, not the Theories, but yes for Showcase.
But, most of all; you don't see the rating until you click on the thread, and there is no way to sort by rating.

As for a review section... we don't have a featured hacks area.

In an ideal world... I'd love to see the showcase add a database of mods.
Like this :
http://rpgmaker.net/games/

Having a picture of the game, next to the name without having to click on the thread, with ratings visible from the list.
Also, with tags like : "complete", "asm hack", "original music", "original art", "unfinished", "abandoned", "demo", "Cave Story mod", "Cave Story+ mod", etc

Having reviews that are required for the rating would be a nice touch.

Something like that would be ideal, but alternately, one person could create a single master mod list.
Turn it into a really user friendly page, with screenshots, links etc...

We're a not a huge group though, so the showcase works. Do wish the ratings were viewable outside of threads though... And it would be cool to have a thumbnail show up for the thread...
xD ramble ramble, I'll stop now!

Apr 13, 2013 at 5:34 AM
Based Member
X-Calibar said:
xD ramble ramble, I'll stop now!
Hey, no, I actually think some of the things you said sound like interesting ideas. It would be cool if DT's guide had a way of indicating particularly good mods, as well as provided more information on the community's opinion of the mod without clicking on the thread, like a rating posted there, or perhaps spoiler'd quotes of reviews of the mod to see how individuals reacted.

I think we may be onto something here.

Apr 13, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I have several ideas actually, if you're willing to wait me out. As for a dedicated user reviews section, no, that isn't necessary at all. There's plenty of space already for user reviews/opinion pieces either in the appropriate mod thread or in Mods General Discussion for older works, the latter of which I've been trying to encourage discussion in for a long time with little result.

Apr 14, 2013 at 1:46 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Apr 14, 2013 at 2:51 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
That would be awesome. So this means that mods could be uploaded directly to the forums? Do you have the storage/bandwidth for that? This would be excellent, plus it would remove the need for mirrors because the mods would all be here. I'm for it, if you're willing.

And jeez you should like demand a dollar out of every active member to cover the costs of all the IPB stuff

Apr 14, 2013 at 6:45 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
If it's not too hard, Andwhy...go for it.

Apr 14, 2013 at 7:36 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I wanna know what DT's ideas were first before we do anything specifically