How much fan music does Cave Story have now?

Nov 16, 2021 at 10:18 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
There's those cave story remix projects that definitely exist, the DM Dokuro one which sounds like grand midi and has massive 80s influence on some tracks, that one pxTone album Jade made, that quote listen track I don't remember the name of + Desperation if that counts. I want to know how much of this stuff exists because it's like the grab bag of fan video game music creations imo

Nov 16, 2021 at 11:07 AM
"Huzzah!"
honestly there's like, hours worth of cave story covers/remixes/whatnot, it's pretty cool - in terms of albums i think there's also DynamiteManEXE's one?

Nov 16, 2021 at 2:27 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
honestly there's like, hours worth of cave story covers/remixes/whatnot, it's pretty cool - in terms of albums i think there's also DynamiteManEXE's one?
Been listening to that just now and I'm really enjoying it. That's something I don't understand; just having cave story music in a different soundfont hits different even without any small additions to spice it up. Those small details make Jade's and RushJet1's just like, "OOOGHH this hits different" when I hear the bass just slink up and down or hear them famitracker drums.

Last thing I want to mention is if you compared the Cave Story+ ost to DM Dokuro's rendition, I would put DM's as a better soundtrack to jam to while the CS+ ost is better when actually playing the game. I say this because despite how varied and COOL DM's is, I have to knock it down because on one hand despite not liking the peppy nature of the CS+ version, I don't think it works in game being as HARD on the drums as it is like jesus christ. I think that CS+ sounds more like someone listened to the FEZ ost and remixed tracks based on how they sounded up against the normal CS tracks and not the actual scenarios they're played in, which is why I don't think it handles the more ambient tracks as well as the original. I'd say even some of DM's tracks do the ambient moments better than the CS+ ost because despite it being more of a soundtrack to Synaesthete at times, it knows how to turn the dials better, if that makes any sense.

Nov 16, 2021 at 10:19 PM
"Huzzah!"
Last thing I want to mention is if you compared the Cave Story+ ost to DM Dokuro's rendition, I would put DM's as a better soundtrack to jam to while the CS+ ost is better when actually playing the game.
the remastered/CS3D OST is so gooood (i'm biased, it was the first i played with lol), but yeah i agree about DM's stuff. tbh i think a lot of his covers of the more intense tracks (like last cave with that weird vocal stuff) are... not great, they kinda turn into fast-paced overwhelming nonsense that misses the vibe of the original, but on the other hand i will forever defend the scorching back one even though it's literally all of the things i just complained about. i just really like the bits of moonsong mixed in, i guess.

Nov 22, 2021 at 1:50 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
All in all what I can think of that the count would include are an indeterminate number of individual remixes floating around on YouTube and music sites (and here), various remix projects and other collections, the odd live performance, original track reworkings made in OrgMaker itself (or a lot more, if you want to count tracks made for mods and other projects as "fan music"), sampling usage in other standalone games (e.g. Undertale) and a modest offering of high quality rips.

That probably isn't specifically very helpful but it's not like I'm intending to be the one searching for it