Cave Story 3D @ SGDQ 2021

Jul 10, 2021 at 10:58 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Cave Story 3D was featured at Summer Games Done Quick 2021!
Run by my wife Sierra, she showcased all that can be done with the one glitch this version has by beating the game in reverse order!

Jul 11, 2021 at 12:09 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
This is really awesome. I knew that CS3D had some crazy game-breaking bugs in it that had something to do with the inventory and map system, but I never knew the details.

The person talking in that video was a bit hard to understand due to the audio quality and speed of speech, but I could more or less follow along. That's pretty crazy how those different scripts got loaded, which enable skipping ahead to certain parts of the game, like skipping the Egg Corridor entirely, and jumping straight to Grasstown, as well as prematurely acquiring certain weapons and items. I was pretty impressed when I saw the Booster 2.0 get magically equipped, and then my mind got totally blown when that infinite life-capsule exploit got used.

It's actually crazy how many successive exits/reloads are required to pull this off in the quickest way possible, but once that person got the Ma-Pignon and teleported to the Plantation, then I started to understand what was going on. It helps to have opened this game up and looked at the scripts to understand what this person is talking about when explaining how this exploit works.

Shoutout to @duncathan who made the donation that was mentioned at 20:50 in the video.

I'm a bit confused as to why the speedrunner did some more glitching around after defeating the undead core. Once you've activated that cutscene and have the Iron Bond, shouldn't you be able to enter Hell? I'm not sure why the player then went around and fought the Doctor, then Misery, and then the Red Demon, and then went around to a bunch of other places and fought a bunch of other bosses before finally making it to the final part of the game. Are there some requirements I'm missing, or was this person just showing off how thoroughly you can warp around through the game with this exploit? I think I heard some blurb about the correct balcony map not being loaded if you don't go around and do that stuff, but it didn't quite make sense to me.

In any case, this is a cool run.

Jul 11, 2021 at 12:12 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
This category is Reverse Boss Adventure
I'm a bit confused as to why the speedrunner did some more glitching around after defeating the undead core. Once you've activated that cutscene and have the Iron Bond, shouldn't you be able to enter Hell? I'm not sure why the player then went around and fought the Doctor, then Misery, and then the Red Demon, and then went around to a bunch of other places and fought a bunch of other bosses before finally making it to the final part of the game. Are there some requirements I'm missing, or was this person just showing off how thoroughly you can warp around through the game with this exploit? I think I heard some blurb about the correct balcony map not being loaded if you don't go around and do that stuff, but it didn't quite make sense to me.

In any case, this is a cool run.
Sure! But this run is not just beating the game. Any% can be done in just 3 minutes and we can skip straight to best ending in about 15. The category for this run is Reverse Boss Adventure, which explicitly makes its goal to defeat all bosses in the reverse of the intended order, and it was designed to be a marathon-ready category to showcase the game.

Jul 11, 2021 at 1:22 AM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Damn, is that NTR streaming being used for 3DS capture in a GDQ run? The homebrew community truly has come a long way!

Jul 11, 2021 at 4:03 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
This category is Reverse Boss Adventure

Sure! But this run is not just beating the game. Any% can be done in just 3 minutes and we can skip straight to best ending in about 15. The category for this run is Reverse Boss Adventure, which explicitly makes its goal to defeat all bosses in the reverse of the intended order, and it was designed to be a marathon-ready category to showcase the game.
Ah, okay, I missed the part about this being a "Reverse Boss" category. In which case, that's all the more impressive, since that's really sequence-breaking the game. Funny how they would come up with a category like that as a result of these crazy glitches.

This reminds me of that bug in Super Mario World that enables you to code-inject the game and do all kinds of crazy and creative stuff.

Jul 11, 2021 at 7:37 AM
"Huzzah!"
I think its really cool they played Cave Story 3D.
With how people are kinda like "eh this version isn't that great," it was really neat to see this.