Cave Story Epic Games version 1.1 crashing problem

Dec 17, 2020 at 8:50 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
This game hard crashes both of my PCs(one with Win10, one with Win7 each with different hardware). Upon running the game from the Epic launcher(or directly from the game folder, it doesn't seem to matter) the system shows a blank screen and is completely unresponsive requiring a forced power cycle.
After having installed, uninstalled and reinstalled this game a few times from the Epic store, I'm giving up for the moment.

Looking into the folder where the game binaries are supposed to be, all that is found is a file called " CaveStory+.exe " which has no icon and no info in the "Details" tab in the properties window. This kind of behaviour from a game is unacceptable and needs to be fixed.

Is this a known problem?

Dec 20, 2020 at 3:34 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
So, anyone? Dev team?
Not to sound cold, but the dev team isn't anywhere here. The guy who made the entire game barely speaks any English and made the game 16 years ago. The company Nicalis is in charge of everything going with the Epic release, but they also have no representation here. This is merely a fan community.

That being said, a bunch of my pals here have got the game to launch and function from the Epic store freebie, so it's not a universal issue. Considering you tried it on two different computers though, Nicalis themselves probably messed something up. It's supposed to be more than a single executible file though (there should be a "/data/" folder as well nearby, contains all the art assets amongst other things. The only version that doesn't have one (because it's actually in the launcher itself) is the old depreciated mac versions.)

I wish you luck trying to get your free copy of CS+ to work. If it doesn't but you still want to play the game, you can try the original freeware version available on cavestory.org (this website but not the forums part of it). That one might work even if the newer ones don't, and the content is basically the same.

Good luck man.

Dec 20, 2020 at 11:52 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Oh, I am sorry. Was under the impression this was the official forum for the game. My mistake. Out of curiosity, is there an official support page to report glitches like this to?

Dec 21, 2020 at 9:25 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Yes, there is, you can send Nicalis a support e-mail, but good luck with getting anything back from them. Their business practices are... unethical, at least to me, but I don't count, lol.

Dec 21, 2020 at 9:32 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
When Nicalis addresses the bugs from the Steam version, but the patches are all exclusive to the Switch version... :(

Dec 26, 2020 at 10:34 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Ok, I think the picture is clear, no support. Thanks all the same for your help folks! Take care, Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!