Cave Story ~ Beta Graphics Mod

Apr 27, 2018 at 12:01 AM
Piyo Piyo Discord Admin
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Well, first things first. When I discovered that Cave Story existed a beta, I was impressed with the information, and I was thinking about what the graphics, music and some other things in the beta would look like on the final version together.
Growing bored, I decided to redesign the graphics and see what they would look like in the mod. I realized that this mod can be able to get better, so I started to draw everything else based on all the screenshots and videos. It was then that I replaced some characters, I changed several dialogues, and I used some resources from other members that had the graphics, but the credit goes to all that belong.
In short, this mod is only a compilation of the beta graphics with some modifications to the characters and so on. Other than that, it's the same original Pixel game. I don't wanna get credit on nothing that doesn't belong to me on this mod. Just wanna see if I made a good work on it.

Enjoy.

Some soap enemies frames - Open Cs by Jables;
Blade frames - BMM by Capstablook;
1 xp Cion palette and frames - Pix0250 by Cavencruiser;
60fps in the Mod Pack by Clownacy;
Infinite Mimiga Mask Hack by Lace;
And many other owners that the resource belongs to.

Screenshot 1.png Screenshot 2.png Screenshot 3.png Screenshot 4.png Screenshot 5.png Screenshot 6.png

Download Versions:
Beta sprite resources link download

If something is wrong with the mod, or there is something that can not be there, tell me that I will fix it.

Edit: Forgot completely to say, all the resources of this mod can be used by other members without need permission. Use as you wish, credit isn't necessary.

Last edited:
May 2, 2018 at 12:04 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
It looks great, I'll download and try it soon!

May 14, 2018 at 4:49 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Well, first things first. When I discovered that Cave Story existed a beta, I was impressed with the information, and I was thinking about what the graphics, music and some other things in the beta would look like on the final version together.
Growing bored, I decided to redesign the graphics and see what they would look like in the mod. I realized that this mod can be able to get better, so I started to draw everything else based on all the screenshots and videos. It was then that I replaced some characters, I changed several dialogues, and I used some resources from other members that had the graphics, but the credit goes to all that belong.
In short, this mod is only a compilation of the beta graphics with some modifications to the characters and so on. Other than that, it's the same original Pixel game. I don't wanna get credit on nothing that doesn't belong to me on this mod. Just wanna see if I made a good work on it.

Enjoy.

Some soap enemies frames - Open Cs by Jables;
Blade frames - BMM by Capstablook;
1 xp Cion palette and frames - Pix0250 by Cavencruiser;
60fps in the Mod Pack by Clownacy;
Infinite Mimiga Mask Hack by Lace;
And many other owners that the resource belongs to.

Mod Download Link
Beta sprite resources link download

If something is wrong with the mod, or there is something that can not be there, tell me that I will fix it.

Edit: Forgot completely to say, all the resources of this mod can be used by other members without permission. Use as you wish, credit isn't necessary.

Ooo, this looks pretty cool! I need to try this out when I get my PC fixed!

May 15, 2018 at 12:11 AM
Piyo Piyo Discord Admin
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
You could use the fish here
https://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/pixel-archive-trawling.3033/
to replace the Core, and the green cat eye thing to replace Monster X's center (the bottom left and right cores in Monster X even match this well!) However, you may want to draw/edit a covering for it, then
Oh, these pictures are very interesting, I will replace them as soon as I can.
Thanks for the info!

Edit: Changes done! I updated the download link. You can download Here, or you can check the first post above.

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 8:33 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Well this look very interisting,trying out
Edit:Wow,I'm surprised how well this mod is done !
Good Stuff :p

Last edited:
May 24, 2018 at 5:38 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Hey, I'm flattered about you using those sprites. I didn't even think to use the RPG cat as Monster X. I tried the mod and it's pretty good. Also, it should be called Beta Graphics and Music. I appreciate all the edits. The facepics were really good. Died to stupid grave frog and only had save before Silver Amulet, ech.

I'd suggest to use the unused Sue animations as basis for her Undead form, since they have orange eyes (as simple recolor to default sprites). Also, NPCMiza contains beta Human Sue sprites as well. There's two, so you'll have to pick. Perhaps you could use the greenish Quote as a drowning animation?

I'd also suggest to make the mini-cores fish as well, since the casts.pbm shows you know how to do that.

Also, I think Sue should be replaced to beta form. If you can't manage it, I'll try the sprites.

If you can, I'd suggest to ask Pixel if he has any more beta stuff he can lend you. Since it would go towards this project instead of just being something for us to gawk at.

May 27, 2018 at 1:30 AM
Piyo Piyo Discord Admin
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Hey, I'm flattered about you using those sprites. I didn't even think to use the RPG cat as Monster X. I tried the mod and it's pretty good. Also, it should be called Beta Graphics and Music. I appreciate all the edits. The facepics were really good. Died to stupid grave frog and only had save before Silver Amulet, ech.

I'd suggest to use the unused Sue animations as basis for her Undead form, since they have orange eyes (as simple recolor to default sprites). Also, NPCMiza contains beta Human Sue sprites as well. There's two, so you'll have to pick. Perhaps you could use the greenish Quote as a drowning animation?

I'd also suggest to make the mini-cores fish as well, since the casts.pbm shows you know how to do that.

Also, I think Sue should be replaced to beta form. If you can't manage it, I'll try the sprites.

If you can, I'd suggest to ask Pixel if he has any more beta stuff he can lend you. Since it would go towards this project instead of just being something for us to gawk at.
Okay, changes done, but not all the suggests I made in the game. The reasons is here:
The Quote drowning animation would be weird in the palette, because his sprite on NPCMiza is somehow a beta sprite.
I didn't changed Sue because his beta for is Su-. Toroko is she too, because in the development, Su- was divided into two characters.
I chose Curly (the robot girl) because she kind of gets closer to the beta in relation to the video. Until the final version, Curly was just the protagonist, and also replace it would free me from redesigning all the other moves of Sue and Toroko have in the entire game. (I'm including the transformations and the credits images)

And lastly, I don't want to bother Daisuke to ask him to give me more things about the beta. I think the mod I made is already worth it with all my effort and dedication that I find with information on the internet. I do this as my hobby, just for fun. I appreciate everyone liking my work, I thank it. I think simply a fan can not bother a developer wherever he is.
But anyway, thank you for helping me with the suggestions. :)

Jun 7, 2018 at 12:03 AM
Here a few tips for next version.

https://www.cavestory.org/game-info/beta-images.php?i=30
This could be used for Chie portrait, since it looks like it is Chie sprite behind Quote and they are also with the elder Mimiga that I forgot the name of. I think he should be kept as usual and replace the Hermit Gunsmith with him. It's not at the plantation, but it would keep the two Mimigas together. Or just put the blue monster in the water in the Rest Area.

https://www.cavestory.org/game-info/beta-images.php?i=37
https://www.cavestory.org/game-info/beta-images.php?i=44
This Puu seems more highlighted than the others due to he has a portrait and is compared to Balrog. Perhaps he should be used as Balrog, with the current one used as Pooh Black? (since giant pignon and Pooh Black share sprite right now anyways). Or maybe the current Balrog sprite used for the Red Demon and say that it's the Puu that Quote saved Curly from.

I also think Kanpachi should have snorkel since it looks like Kanpachi but with a snorkel. Also, how about the "Pixel Online" sign replacing the clock sign?

I would suggest to use the unused blue-eyed skelecrocs for the Sand Zone. Or at least for their idle sprite.

There are a few color problems. The Egg Corridor robot still says the monster is white even though it is now blue. Also, Curly's Underwear says they are blue but it's just the normal sprite.

Also, some more unused things you can use are the script for Momorin saying yes/no after "Are you with me so far?" (it's there but not called), the NPCSym blue flame thing, and the unused Balrog boss.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2018 at 4:56 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Just chiming in to say that I think this is super cool! Look forward to seeing how it progresses :)

Jun 17, 2018 at 7:18 AM
Is the fang item ever in this mod? If not, I think I know what to put in in my update.

Jun 17, 2018 at 4:32 PM
Piyo Piyo Discord Admin
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Is the fang item ever in this mod? If not, I think I know what to put in in my update.
Yes, it was until the beggining. I haven't an idea where I can put just for easter egg, so I simply make a hole in Yamashita Farm where the fang was.