openCS

Jun 16, 2017 at 1:54 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
ok I will test this mods folder on original cave story
That's not gonna work. You need to install the mod loader first.

Jul 4, 2017 at 11:38 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
THANK YOU!
I've been waiting for a mod like this for a long time.
The atmosphere is great and the spritework is fantastic!
Is there any chance more classes might be added?

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:02 PM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I'm currently getting a gray screen with it still outputting audio and accepting input, is there something I'm doing wrong?

Jul 6, 2017 at 4:32 AM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
How on Earth did this slip past me? I love open world games! I can't run it right now (Linux won't run any Cave Story exe that's been modified with ASM, so I assume there has been some ASM work done) but I can't wait to try this!

Jul 6, 2017 at 6:35 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Linux won't run any Cave Story exe that's been modified with ASM, so I assume there has been some ASM work done
Uhh... what? That entire statement made absolutely no sense. Are you porting the mod, or using wine?

Jul 6, 2017 at 7:13 PM
Uhh... what? That entire statement made absolutely no sense. Are you porting the mod, or using wine?

I'm sorry let me clarify. I am running CS in Wine. The original CS for Windows works perfectly in Wine. I've got a stockpile of mods that I've enjoyed over time and I noticed that sometimes these mods run and other times they do not. Mods that have modified music and visuals but no ASM (like a few of my mods) work fine. But mods that have had any ASM modifications do not run. When I tried running this mod, it did not run. My assumption is that the ASM modifications make the game incompatible with Wine, and my second assumption was that this mod must then have ASM modifications since it doesn't run.

Jul 6, 2017 at 10:47 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
THANK YOU!
I've been waiting for a mod like this for a long time.
The atmosphere is great and the spritework is fantastic!
Is there any chance more classes might be added?

Thank you, most importantly.
While I would like to hold back on as much information about the progress as possible, I can guarantee that there is another race/class added in the mod for the next version.

Jul 6, 2017 at 11:44 PM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Thank you, most importantly.
While I would like to hold back on as much information about the progress as possible, I can guarantee that there is another race/class added in the mod for the next version.
I'm excited to hear about a new class! Will they specialize in maybe magic-weapons or some kind unarmed weapon?

Jul 23, 2017 at 7:16 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Really enjoying this mod!

Jul 23, 2017 at 11:25 PM
Okay, are some of the doors throughout the game meant to not have scripts running for them? I seem to be stuck in the area where you get the Shooting Star with no options to leave anywhere.

Aug 31, 2017 at 10:10 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I loved that mod! The ambiance, the level design, the new sprites, the fact that you can shoot pots and have little loot chests... It's crazy good.
That said, the boss-fights are a too punishing (as a scout at least) and the will-o'-the-wisps a huge pain in the butt.

Here is how I would fix them:
Make the 2nd boss spawn less bubbles. They can overwhelm you really easily once you are out of ammo.
Make the will-o'-the-wisps render over the background and have lower HP.
Getting rid of their ability to phase through walls would be a huge loss in terms of enemy diversity.

And maybe add more incentive for exploring? Chests are a good start but XP has it's limits right now.
Maybe creating temporary stat buffs like a "one room arm-barrier" or "one room double reload speed / extra ammo"?
I like the concept of dungeons a lot but the first one is a little bit confusing with where you should go first.
I ended-up making a 10mn detour to find a closed door. Maybe leave hints? It's only the first dungeon after all...

I can't help but feel the XP reset when entering a dungeon will end-up forcing players to grind for XP:
You need huge quantities of it and XP sources respawn when changing rooms anyway!
Here is a crazy idea:
You can't drop XP in dungeons, or only once per pot/enemy.
Finding chests is mandatory to level-up before the boss.
I don't know how feasible it is, but if it works well, it could lead to less grinding and more incentive to explore.
Can't beat boss? -> go explore for missed XP!
The biggest problem is the XP loss when getting hit: that's normally permanent in Cave Story.
But what if you DIDN'T lose XP from random monsters and would only lose some to bosses?
(And what if the XP lost in boss battles was counted then restored after you win? (optional))
That way you really get a sense of progression throughout the dungeon while still having the usual battle for XP conservation in bossfights!

I really hope you can achieve your goals and make this fantastic mod a few more hours long!

Sep 1, 2017 at 5:33 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
I like the look of this. Nice job.

Sep 3, 2017 at 3:30 PM
ZYZZ Spur is the best gun because its super cool
i can't download it, it says it's removed?

Oct 10, 2017 at 3:01 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
The download link in the OP has been updated. There is a new 'playable' version bundled with the original .02 version, however it is slightly buggy and unstable in some areas.

Oct 10, 2017 at 8:47 PM
ZYZZ Spur is the best gun because its super cool
thanks sounds fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ill play it once im done with HOMMEEEEWORK

OK it seems fun but one thing I spent forever hitting some bat to jump up to some chest.. and it does NOTHING
I'm a mimiga is there a reason why I couldn't open the chest? It acts like just <END

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 6:35 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
OK it seems fun but one thing I spent forever hitting some bat to jump up to some chest.. and it does NOTHING
I'm a mimiga is there a reason why I couldn't open the chest? It acts like just <END
It's an old demo, some chests and doors don't do anything, everybody has reported this issue.

Nov 30, 2017 at 2:05 AM
It Really Do Be Like That Sometimes
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
The download's not working for me. Can anyone help?

Nov 30, 2017 at 5:59 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
The download's not working for me. Can anyone help?
Are you sure you are actually waiting for it? It is a big archive, especially considering the file size of the OGGs.

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:46 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The link for the mod doesn't work. Is it deleted ? When can I download it?