The sickeningly cheerful say hello, introduce yourself; now where's my cookie? topic.

Jan 23, 2016 at 4:06 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hi. I'm a random guy who likes Hacking, Modding, and Homebrew. Yep.

I've been pretty much a lurker for the past 2 years. :p

Also plz don't give me cookie I want Bread instead

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:37 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Hey there. I'm Zennistrad (as you can probably tell). I remember making an account here a few years ago under a different name, but I've stopped using that name altogether on most websites so I created a separate account here.

I played Cave Story several years after it first came out, during a phase from 2006-2010 where I was heavily into freeware games, with DeceasedCrab's Let's Play of the original game being what ultimately piqued my interest in Cave Story in particular. I kinda forgot about it for a while, but recently I've become more interested in the game thanks to a fan fiction I decided to write on a whim that, and it compelled me to get back involved with Cave Story to ensure it remained fresh in my mind.

So I'll probably be hanging out here for some time in the forseeable future.

Mar 8, 2016 at 3:49 PM
Lurking in the Shadows
"No! Don't OPEN that DOOR!"
about a year ago, i said to myself "i should stop lurking and make an account"

i finally did

so hi, i'm Dish0ut, (just call me Dish) i play video games, draw stuff, and aspire to make games and mods despite my complete inability to do so

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2016 at 4:53 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Welcome to the forums, Dish. I hope you like it here, its small-town quiet aside. The majority of mods are unfinished, and many among that majority are still excellent, so continue with those aspirations and you might be surprised at what comes of it. ^_^

Mar 16, 2016 at 2:48 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hello there, um, I go by Shibuyah here online, and I just recently joined this forum--I'm a big fan of Cave Story, despite never having been able to beat Hell, yet, and I love the game quite a bit. It has a fond place in my heart ever since I played it a few years ago on the computer, then I got to get the WiiWare version, followed by the 3D, and just this December thanks to the Steam holiday sale, Cave Story+! I'm rather intrigued by the modding community, even though I have no knowledge of programming whatsoever. I'm more of an artistic sort fairly capable with pixels, just recently deciding to try and dabble in the Cave Story style. Nothing major yet, but I'll work on it. owo Anyways, nice to meet all of you!

Mar 16, 2016 at 2:57 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Hey welcome! It's always great to see more people interested in the modding scene. Fortunately for you the Cave Story scripting language is rather easy to learn, so if you ever wanted to tackle making a mod yourself that shouldn't be much of an issue. Also u should totally post your art when you get the style down.

Mar 16, 2016 at 3:34 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
@Tpcool : Thank you for the kind welcome, Tpcool! I'd be interested in learning the scripting, especially if anyone was okay with tutoring me at some point--I've done some very, very minor scripting in RPG Maker and such before, but I never really made an actual game for differing reasons. <w<; But soon as I get the hang of the style, I'd love to share what I make, even the things that aren't CS styled! Since it's still a WiP, would anyone be willing to see a sample here, or should I PM it instead? I don't want to clog up the thread, since others need to say hi, and such. >w<

Mar 16, 2016 at 3:44 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
TSC (the scripting language that cave story uses) is really simple and self-explanatory.

For example, if you wanted curly to say something, you'd put: <KEY<MSG<FAC0019Hi!<NOD<CLO<END

Just mess around with it in Booster's Lab and you'll get the hang of it.

Also, welcome to the forums! Remember: you're here forever.

Mar 16, 2016 at 5:04 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
@Xemous : Oooooh, that does sound pretty easy, actually--I'll have to sit down, and study that stuff one of these days when I have time on my hands, since college is keeping me a little busy. >w< And I'd hope I'll be here forever, I mean, I did register for a membership. XD

Mar 16, 2016 at 5:50 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Welcome! You seem like the pleasant sort of person. It's a slow place, but I hope you like it nonetheless. -w-

Mar 16, 2016 at 6:13 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
@Polaris : Thank you, I suppose I am, heh--I was raised to treat others like I want to be treated, so I respect everyone I meet to the best of my ability! If anyone ever wants to talk, or get something off their chest, I might not have the answers, but I'd be willing to lend an ear, as well as company. ^w^ Slow or not, I think I'm going to like this place! Things don't have to be the speed of light for me to happy, since a relaxing atmosphere is always nice.

Mar 16, 2016 at 3:53 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
New nice people!! Hello nice person!

Mar 16, 2016 at 8:34 PM
"Huzzah!"
@Tpcool : Thank you for the kind welcome, Tpcool! I'd be interested in learning the scripting, especially if anyone was okay with tutoring me at some point--I've done some very, very minor scripting in RPG Maker and such before, but I never really made an actual game for differing reasons. <w<; But soon as I get the hang of the style, I'd love to share what I make, even the things that aren't CS styled! Since it's still a WiP, would anyone be willing to see a sample here, or should I PM it instead? I don't want to clog up the thread, since others need to say hi, and such. >w<

If your serious about moding, then I would reccomend you try Booster's Lab. It's an editor for Cave Story.

And if you need help learning how to mod with Booster's Lab, then I would reccomend you read my guide on it.

Booster's Lab can work with Cave Story+, but my guide was made for the freeware version. So there may be some differences with the TSC scripting.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2016 at 11:36 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
If your serious about moding, then I would reccomend you try Booster's Lab. It's an editor for Cave Story.

And if you need help learning how to mod with Booster's Lab, then I would reccomend you read my guide on it.

Booster's Lab can work with Cave Story+, but my guide was made for the freeware version. So there may be some differences with the TSC scripting.
Ooooh, I've seen several people recommend Booster's Lab, so I'll definitely have to look into it when I get the time--thank you very much, Kenzo, I'll be sure to keep your guide in mind, and read it when I go to try modding for practice! owo

Now, I have a bit of a silly question, but is there someone willing to teach me how to sprite in the teenier style of the original Cave Story? I remember attempting it a few years ago, but it was too small for me to wrap my head around, since I'm used to working with a slightly larger size. >w<; I think downgrading the birthday gift I made for my brother would be a good start, since it's my first HD Cave Story sprite so far.

Mar 17, 2016 at 12:15 AM
"Huzzah!"
Ooooh, I've seen several people recommend Booster's Lab, so I'll definitely have to look into it when I get the time--thank you very much, Kenzo, I'll be sure to keep your guide in mind, and read it when I go to try modding for practice! owo

Now, I have a bit of a silly question, but is there someone willing to teach me how to sprite in the teenier style of the original Cave Story? I remember attempting it a few years ago, but it was too small for me to wrap my head around, since I'm used to working with a slightly larger size. >w<; I think downgrading the birthday gift I made for my brother would be a good start, since it's my first HD Cave Story sprite so far.

I'm pretty sure I go over sprites a little bit in my guide(specifically the player character sprites).

you should get a good idea of how the animations work before you start making custom sprites.

Just remember that every sprite is in a box shape.

If you have any more questions concerning basic moding, feel free to pm me.

Mar 17, 2016 at 1:31 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'm pretty sure I go over sprites a little bit in my guide(specifically the player character sprites).

you should get a good idea of how the animations work before you start making custom sprites.

Just remember that every sprite is in a box shape.

If you have any more questions concerning basic moding, feel free to pm me.
Oh yeeaaaaah, you're right--if I don't know what I'm doing, pieces are going to be missing, or even possibly in the boundary of another sprite's place, leaving random bits floating around. owo; I'll be sure to study up on that with your guide before I start with the custom sprites, but it'll be safe enough if I stick to the size of a player sprite, like Quote or Curly, right? ...I guess I better study up on both the boundaries through your guide, and the original, small sprite style. <w<;

Mar 17, 2016 at 1:30 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I wouldn't start with doubling the resolution of your mod, it fucks a lot of things up. Zxin just likes to make jokes that new members would not know anything about.
I've found the best way to sprite in the style of Cave Story is to just copy everything. Turn the original sprites into a black silhouette, and draw over it. Of course, don't feel obligated to restrict yourself to the silhouette, but it's a great starting point for making something in Cave Story's style.