Sonic Story

Feb 27, 2016 at 7:54 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Okay so all the way back in 2010 I was active on these forums a whole lot more and I was working on a mod entitled Sonic's Story. Now as you may have guessed it is a crossover of Sonic The Hedgehog and Cave Story,

I wasn't exactly fantastic at modding back then but the mod had a lot of potential and I'm thinking of starting a new mod now I've got more experience and grown up a lot since then,

You can download the original game here,
http://www.mediafire.com/download/r0jzyyomtjn/Sonic's_Story_FINAL_DEMO.zip

It is possible to finish the game but it was not complete.

Theres allsorts of graphical and musical modifications but also some modifications to the actual engine itself (The main characters physics ect..)

Now there is some bad points too it, Like the cheesy storyline and the way you move from level to level does not always make sense, But I feel the music, the graphics of the characters and some of the levels, and the engine modfications are really worth doing something with and expanding upon.

So in a nutshell I'm asking you guys here to give it a quick playthrough (You can finish it in about 10-15 mins) and tell me if you like the concept and if you would be interested in seeing a spiritual succesor to it, Maybe even 2xres now thats possible.

Heres some screenie's

p212948-0-twzdjkk.png

p212948-1-34v73cr.png

p212948-2-svjpnuf.png

Feb 27, 2016 at 10:42 PM
The Preacher
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Thank you for your kind, constructive and encouraging input xzin.

Jethawk: I do like the concept, actually. You made significant changes to the way physics work in the game, something that I wasn't expecting. The physics are awkward, the inertia (which goes well with the original CS) is absolutely detrimental to the speedy gameplay of Sonic, controlling the character is downright impossible (because of the varying height of jumps, the slow build-up/decrease of speed, and the very high max speed as opposed to the very slow start-up speeds), and the weapon has nothing to do with Sonic (except the Knuckles part, but it's very artificial), but I think it's definitely something worth working on. With the right alterations to the game engine, I believe you can make something enjoyable of this mod, and very different from what we're (or at least, what I'm) used to seeing.

As you pointed out, there are major problems in the demo, from the nonsensical storyline to the horrid facepics, the janky dialogues and texts and bunches of typos, and the way textboxes and events are handled altogether (weird line cuts, facepics displayed at the wrong times / without clearing the textbox, songs that don't cut at the end of a scene, etc). But if, as you say, you have matured as a modder, then you may be able to do something cool out of it.

At least I want to believe that Sonic fangames and Cave Story mods (and especially crossovers of the two) can be good sometimes. Please give me hope

Feb 28, 2016 at 12:56 PM
Creating A Legacy...
@zxin, I think i actually have the 2xres mod somewhere, I got it back when Noxid had the request form for it on his website and he let me have it then so I wonder if he will let me have it again now, Just I had to choose between the Undead core or something else been removed for obvious reasons.

@Kenzo Any ideas on what his weapon should be? I'm sure it would be possible to make him hurts enemies when he's in his jumping animation but I cant help but think this would be too easy, Unless I could implement a levelling up feature, like the weapon system in ther game.

@Hiino Thank you for the critique, The physics need tweeking for sure, its very hard to handle at top speed and really hard to get a good jump hight from the slow start off speed isnt it, So I'd need to bring those values closer together wouldnt I? Have him start off faster but also no go as fast as he does. Also I've gotten reasonably better at photoshop and pixel art since then so hopefully I shall be able to create some of my own smooth face pics which match eachother in size and dimensions.

As for the scripting, My grammar and choice of words is a lot better now, as you can probably tell, but I do need to get back to grips with the CS Programming/scripting language (I've been working modding other engines and writing my own scripts for games in Game maker/ Multimedia Fusion). I remember the basic commands though.

Did Sues workshop V3 ever get released? I remember someone was working on a version of Sues Workshop with loads more advanced features than the original.... *Runs to the tribute site and back* Ahh theres 2 new ones now, Boosters lab and Cave editor. Looks like I best get to work! :)

Feb 28, 2016 at 1:24 PM
The Preacher
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Did Sues workshop V3 ever get released? I remember someone was working on a version of Sues Workshop with loads more advanced features than the original.... *Runs to the tribute site and back* Ahh theres 2 new ones now, Boosters lab and Cave editor. Looks like I best get to work! :)

Yeah I'd advise you to use Booster's Lab, because it's by far the most complete and stable of the three. @Noxid boy tell 'em

Feb 28, 2016 at 2:52 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Yeah it was all done in sues workshop and then the player agility hacks were added after.. ahh back in the days were if you edited any values sues workshop wouldnt be able to open the exe again haha xD

I'm playing around in Boosters Lab and its pretty damn awesome, also I didnt know there was a tool now for editing the players speed and gravity and stuff, how stuff changes, I had to ask GIRakaCHEEZER for day or two to hex edit Sonic's Story for me to change the values (BTW Thank you mate). Looking at all the modding tools, they really have come so far from what they used to be.

Feb 28, 2016 at 9:52 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
so uh, i just tried this out, and it's pretty fun
the blade is really overpowered at level 2 in this, and misery(?) fight is kinda impossible with the shots being the same color as the background.
also the spelling errors are kinda... ech, but that was already mentioned.