• Yes

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • No

Votes: 37 92.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 20, 2015 at 4:31 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
EDIT: this post was originally entitled "Demote GIRakaCHEEZER", and appeared in the forum suggestions section. @GIRakaCHEEZER, I'm sorry for suggesting that you be demoted. If I truly have any issues with you in the future, I hope that we can discuss them in private. I was not justified in making this thread, and I think it has worsened the chance of us becoming friends.

--- original post follows ---

I apologize in advance for the wall of text.

Both of the warnings I have received so far were from GIRakaCHEEZER. (I have come to this conclusion due to the fact that in both instances I received a message from "GIRakaCHEEZER" titled "Warning".)

The first warning was for quoting a post and adding a single world in reply. I acknowledge that this is not ideal behavior on a forum, however I am still a relatively new member and would have appreciated the opportunity to fix my mistake instead of receiving a warning. The reason shown was "Contributing to spammy posting (off-topic, lack of content, etc)".
Post: http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/help-me-with-a-science-assignment.6091/page-2#post-205932

The second warning was seemingly for suggesting someone seek mental help. I find this particularly offensive as there is a lot of stigma regarding mental health. Fetishizing video game game characters to the point that it affects one's conduct on a forum could be considered a mental health issue. Additionally, the rules say that personal attacks will be dealt with immediately, however I received the warning several days after making the post. The reason for the warning was "General poor behaviour/treatment of other users", which isn't even explicitly against the rules, although I think it probably should be.
Post: http://www.cavestory.org/forums/thr...rackfic-since-doukutsu-days.6220/#post-208256

Finally, GIRakaCHEEZER made the suggestion that I should make my own game engine instead of working on a hack for Cave Story: http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/programming-general.5988/page-3#post-208229
This is despite me previously telling GIRakaCHEEZER to "let me alone" (leave me alone) via private message.

I have made a poll as I am interested in seeing the opinion of other members.

Here are links to both the rules and information regarding infractions:
http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/new-forum-rules.3094/
http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/implementation-of-the-infractions-system.3394/
The infractions thread is obviously outdated, but it says that warnings do not give points, which isn't the case.
We can also see that the infractions don't have 100% correlation with the rules of this forum.
Also, the reason for the first warning I received isn't even listed on the infractions thread.

I would like to thank the other staff of this site for not issuing me warnings and instead encouraging positive discussion. I really appreciate it. I'm glad that I haven't received more warnings, and I am trying to improve my conduct.

Some other random notes:
* As far as I can tell, there is no way to see if a user is a member of the staff
* I probably shouldn't hang around here so much, but I want to try contributing to the community
* I shouldn't be so excited about a forum for a 10+ year old game
* Sorry for making this thread

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2015 at 4:46 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The second warning was seemingly for suggesting someone seek mental help. I find this particularly offensive as there is a lot of stigma regarding mental health. Fetishizing video game game characters to the point that it affects one's conduct on a forum could be considered a mental health issue. Additionally, the rules say that personal attacks will be dealt with immediately, however I received the warning several days after making the post. The reason for the warning was "General poor behaviour/treatment of other users", which isn't even explicitly against the rules, although I think it probably should be.
Post: http://www.cavestory.org/forums/thr...rackfic-since-doukutsu-days.6220/#post-208256
I am one of the people who reported this post which is one of the reasons it was given a warning. I am not going to discuss the reasoning behind my report. I am simply stating that I did report it.

Oct 20, 2015 at 4:49 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Both of those warnings are entirely reasonable. In the first one you had a one word answer, lack of content, which is against the forum rules. In the second one you were being unnecessarily mean/ offensive to another user, which is also against the forum rules. More specifically, Post Content and Arguments vs Personal Attacks are the rules I'm referring to.
And in the third post you linked, I think GIRakaCHEEZER was just trying to help you.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2015 at 4:53 AM
leader of the meme team feat. tom, snaf and polad
The first warning was for quoting a post and adding a single world in reply. I acknowledge that this is not ideal behavior on a forum, however I am still a relatively new member and would have appreciated the opportunity to fix my mistake instead of receiving a warning. The reason shown was "Contributing to spammy posting (off-topic, lack of content, etc)".
Post: http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/help-me-with-a-science-assignment.6091/page-2#post-205932

Your post was literally "NO" so it's a fairly justified warning. Also it's not like he banned you. It's a warning. He's warning you not to do it again. That's what they're for.

Just because he only caught your terrible reply days afterwards doesn't mean he suddenly can't warn you for it because he was too slow. Also, your post was, again, horrible and it makes your seemingly genuine concern about mental health ironic given how you wantonly told someone else they NEEDED mental help.

Finally, GIRakaCHEEZER made the suggestion that I should make my own game engine instead of working on a hack for Cave Story: http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/programming-general.5988/page-3#post-208229
This is despite me previously telling GIRakaCHEEZER to "let me alone" (leave me alone) via private message.

Gir doesn't have to not reply to you just because you asked nicely. It's a forum. Deal with it.

We can also see that the infractions don't have 100% correlation with the rules of this forum.
Also, the reason for the first warning I received isn't even listed on the infractions thread.

They can give you warnings for anything, man. They're moderators. It doesn't matter if the specific thing you were warned for doesn't happen to be listed. They can warn you for any terrible thing you do, on a list or not.

And no, no forum can safely say their rules cover everything. If something isn't covered under a rule, that doesn't necessarily mean you won't be warned for doing it.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2015 at 5:15 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Please be nice
Stop being a puss Q3, pull up your socks and stop doing stuff like this.

Oct 20, 2015 at 5:16 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
There's no need to be dicks to him guys; it's well within his privileges to make a complaint like this
e: this was directed primarily at shows

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2015 at 6:11 AM
Modding Community Discord Moderator
CSE Discord Moderator
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
And no, no forum can safely say their rules cover everything. If something isn't covered under a rule, that doesn't necessarily mean you won't be warned for doing it.
With that logic I could be warned for saying that I prefer goat cheese over cow cheese.
Nowhere in the rules did it say "No one is allowed to prefer goat cheese over cow cheese on these forums", but I can, according to this logic, still get warned for it.
My understanding of rules and warnings, is that you get warned for breaking a rule.
Saying that I prefer goat cheese over cow cheese, is not breaking a rule. Therefore, I shouldn't be able to get warned for it unless the rules change.

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:15 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Additionally, the rules say that personal attacks will be dealt with immediately, however I received the warning several days after making the post.
By Pixel, you can't expect us to be everywhere at once all the time. The rule is meant to suggest that personal attacks will be dealt with immediately after we are made aware of it.

With that logic I could be warned for saying that I prefer goat cheese over cow cheese.
Nowhere in the rules did it say "No one is allowed to prefer goat cheese over cow cheese on these forums", but I can, according to this logic, still get warned for it.
My understanding of rules and warnings, is that you get warned for breaking a rule.
Saying that I prefer goat cheese over cow cheese, is not breaking a rule. Therefore, I shouldn't be able to get warned for it unless the rules change.
So if someone forgot to outlaw murder it is suddenly okay?

The rules are not some legal document, it's just a list of guidelines on how to not get in trouble. A list of guidelines that is very much due for a rewrite.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2015 at 6:24 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Additionally, the rules say that personal attacks will be dealt with immediately, however I received the warning several days after making the post.
By Pixel, you can't expect us to be everywhere at once all the time. The rule is meant to suggest that personal attacks will be dealt with immediately after we are made aware of it.

In regards to this warning specifically, I gave the warning once it had received a 2nd report by another user. I was a bit on the fence about giving it a warning before that, but since 2 people took the time to report the post, I figured it was enough of an issue that it deserved a warning.

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:27 AM
CSE Discord Moderator
Until you change the rules, Yes.
(...That then begs the question if I could be charged for a murder that I committed before the rules changed...:critter:)

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:28 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Goat cheese rule pending... :p (j/k)

Until you change the rules, Yes.
Sorry, but it doesn't work like that around here. It never has. If it was then you would need a law degree to read the forum rules.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2015 at 6:52 AM
CSE Discord Moderator
Sorry, but it doesn't work like that around here. It never has. If it was then you would need a law degree to read the forum rules.
...I was going to post something more in response to this, but I think "that's not how our forum rules work" is probably a good spot to stop talking, lest I try to change how the forum rules work/get a law degree.

Oct 20, 2015 at 8:56 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
...I was going to post something more in response to this, but I think "that's not how our forum rules work" is probably a good spot to stop talking, lest I try to change how the forum rules work/get a law degree.
Sorry I probably should have explained things better.

To put it simply the rules need to have the right balance between simplicity and functionality or new members will tl;dr; the rules. If the rules cover 99% of use cases with a minimal amount of text then it works. Unlike a typical legal system which is applied how a lawyer can interpret wording (which leads to paragraphs of text just to close loopholes), the rules here are applied how the mod/admin interprets them, and wrongdoing in general is judged the same way. While this grants a great deal of power upon mods/admins, I have yet to see that power ever abused. We are mods/admins not because we like power or whatever, but because we like it here and want to help out.

Oct 20, 2015 at 11:12 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Just wanna mention this: There's a difference between morally right and legally right.

Not that I condone being morallly wrong if the law allows it ^_^;

Oct 20, 2015 at 9:50 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I received a warning for GIR for a double post that happened after the move to Xenforo. I didn't know the automatic post-merger system was not present on Xenforo, and had no idea that I'd made a double post until after I'd gotten the warning. I talked to GIR and he apologized for the misunderstanding, but I still got a warning point for and it was never revoked.

Never the less, I still don't think this is a reason for GIR to be "demoted", and I did technically break the rules (as did you, no matter the circumstances). Although honestly you'd think he'd have better things to worry about than double posts with all the spam threads/posts there are and all of the majestic music he should be making.

EDIT:

I think we should add a clause to the rules stating that they are free to interpretation by the moderators.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2015 at 11:06 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Fetishizing video game game characters to the point that it affects one's conduct on a forum could be considered a mental health issue.
You're making a lot of assumptions.

Either way, implying someone has a mental illness isn't very nice.

Oct 20, 2015 at 11:11 PM
Banned
I reported you Q3, because you were being an ass to Xander, and now you're trying to cover your tracks as just "looking out for him."

"All of your fanfics are terrible and I doubt you know the meaning of the words in your avatar. You should seek mental help."
Yeah, that definitely sounds like someone who's just looking out for him.

Oct 20, 2015 at 11:24 PM
Mrs. Policewoman
I'm gonna be a dick and not read the rest of the thread before posting this, but you know a wall of text is a large, unformatted block of text, right?