Shit city

Sep 15, 2015 at 11:50 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Yeah, it's a shame that that's the way things work. I won't say anything about those mods, since I haven't played them yet. Strangely enough, I think the only mods I've been playing lately have come from you. So uh...yeah. I might get around to playing this later when I'm not playing Undertale :O.

SAAAAAMMMMEEE. I'm so excited.

But yeah, I'll be doing absolutely nothing but Undertale for a while. Then I'll probably do a Christmas thing.

Sep 16, 2015 at 2:31 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
A lot of what you said about some mods being more popular just because of their creators is true, SuperJaws, but you have to remember that a lot of the users you named have been where you are now. Nobody took Aar seriously when he joined. He was mocked a lot for something he did at the beginning of his tenure here, but eventually he became an established user and people stopped talking about his early mistakes. BLink's mods are very well-known these days, but would it surprise you if I told you that there was a period of time where not many people cared about his work and he got chastised a ton during his first several months here? Would it surprise you if I told you that I myself was chastised a ton when I was new? It also took a long time for my fourth ending to gain popularity- it wasn't an instant hit. There were many days where I was growing rather restless because my mod wasn't getting very much attention. Even one of my recent projects, Plus Porter, didn't get a ton of attention at first. Even now, I still feel like it didn't get much attention.

Also, being an "established user" here is not as grand as you might think. Really what happens is that the users who joined before you get tired of picking on you. Maybe by the time you've been here for a year-and-a-half, they might respect you a little bit more than they used to, because maybe they've beaten you enough for doing things that annoy them for you to figure out how to be yourself without raising controversy, but for the most part they see you the same as they did before. I get along okay these days with most of the users who joined before I did, but every once in a while, one of them will say something like "please don't be another HaydenStudios." Then newer users come in, see you as an established user, and that's all they've ever known you for being. They didn't know you when you were a new user, so the idea doesn't occur to them that you used to get lambasted by the community. Over time, these newer users outnumber the users who joined before you, and they all start assuming that you're one of the bigwigs around.

TL;DR

Basically what I'm saying is that the problem you're facing right now is something that most users here have faced, and really the closest thing there is to a solution is to just keep pressing on. Also, some users here might be a bit more established than others, but it's hasty to assume that they're all held in super high esteem by everyone.

Sep 16, 2015 at 3:11 AM
A lot of what you said about some mods being more popular just because of their creators is true, SuperJaws, but you have to remember that a lot of the users you named have been where you are now. Nobody took Aar seriously when he joined. He was mocked a lot for something he did at the beginning of his tenure here, but eventually he became an established user and people stopped talking about his early mistakes. BLink's mods are very well-known these days, but would it surprise you if I told you that there was a period of time where not many people cared about his work and he got chastised a ton during his first several months here? Would it surprise you if I told you that I myself was chastised a ton when I was new? It also took a long time for my fourth ending to gain popularity- it wasn't an instant hit. There were many days where I was growing rather restless because my mod wasn't getting very much attention. Even one of my recent projects, Plus Porter, didn't get a ton of attention at first. Even now, I still feel like it didn't get much attention.

Also, being an "established user" here is not as grand as you might think. Really what happens is that the users who joined before you get tired of picking on you. Maybe by the time you've been here for a year-and-a-half, they might respect you a little bit more than they used to, because maybe they've beaten you enough for doing things that annoy them for you to figure out how to be yourself without raising controversy, but for the most part they see you the same as they did before. I get along okay these days with most of the users who joined before I did, but every once in a while, one of them will say something like "please don't be another HaydenStudios." Then newer users come in, see you as an established user, and that's all they've ever known you for being. They didn't know you when you were a new user, so the idea doesn't occur to them that you used to get lambasted by the community. Over time, these newer users outnumber the users who joined before you, and they all start assuming that you're one of the bigwigs around.

TL;DR

Basically what I'm saying is that the problem you're facing right now is something that most users here have faced, and really the closest thing there is to a solution is to just keep pressing on. Also, some users here might be a bit more established than others, but it's hasty to assume that they're all held in super high esteem by everyone.

I guess if the very base of the community is toxic the community as a whole is bound to seem that way. It's not entirely worth my time. But thanks for that, Hayden.

On another note, I feel like this is all very off topic. Perhaps we should close this discussion and return to mod-playing/making.

Sep 16, 2015 at 3:43 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
If you become an established user, chances are, you've built up some credibility among the community, so of course people are going to be quicker to play your mod. You can't just expect that respect right out of the gate without putting in the time first.

Sep 16, 2015 at 4:12 AM
Banned
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
General poor behaviour/treatment of other users
This forum is a popularity contest whose winners have already been chosen. I probably won't make any more mods..
You wanna know why other people are more liked than you? Here's a hint:
p206668-0-5tro6tm.png

Sep 16, 2015 at 8:39 PM
p206668-0-5tro6tm.png

And then we just get people like this who contribute nothing to anything and just talk shit about people. But again, this discussion is off topic and I apologize for starting it. End it. Now.

Sep 16, 2015 at 9:00 PM
Professional Whatever
Jaws maybe you're the problem

Sep 16, 2015 at 9:15 PM

But again, this discussion is off topic and I apologize for starting it. End it. Now.

I'm the one trying to end the conversation that very clearly turned for the worse very quickly. You are the one continuing an already toxic conversation and making it worse.

Sep 16, 2015 at 9:53 PM
Professional Whatever
It is not a toxic conversation
I am giving my input
This is only to identify what is wrong and how it can be fixed

Sep 17, 2015 at 12:19 AM
It is not a toxic conversation
I am giving my input
This is only to identify what is wrong and how it can be fixed

I'm not even bothering this. As it were, every mod I have made has had its thread degenerate in a similar way to this. This community's behavior is unacceptable. If this is how the thread of every mod I make (no matter how good or bad) is going to go, I will simply stop modding.

Congratulations CSTSF, you have destroyed the drive and passion of another modder. How many more victims will you claim with your rude and unhelpful comments?

I'd like to point out how most of the newer modders have been driven away by all the bullshit you throw at them. The amount of shitposting that goes on on this forum is atrocious. It is completely unacceptable.

THIS:
p206668-0-5tro6tm.png

Is shitposting. It does absolutely nothing to help anything. Not only that, but it was posted after the discussion it was relating to has been closed.

You didn't even play the mod, I can almost guarantee that. You both saw an opportunity to be assholes in the form of the discussion going on in the thread, ignored the original post itself, and just posted shit.

In the future, I will not be even opening the Showcase section of this forum, until something changes. I'll continue to enjoy composing ORGs, but it is people like YOU @Doors , and @bobbyis , who have destroyed by drive for modding.

I hope you are happy. And by that I mean that I know you are happy, because you're bullies. And bullies appreciate nothing more than to see a response out of their victims.

Just because you call it shitposting, does not mean it is not bullying, and that is exactly what shitposting is.

Look up the word "constructive criticism". Learn what it means, because you obviously don't know what it is.

*rant complete*

Sep 17, 2015 at 12:47 AM
Professional Whatever
I'm seriously not sure how you think my posts are shitposting
It seems like you're the only one toxifying the situation here

Sep 17, 2015 at 12:49 AM
beep boop
Uhh... Shit posting is not nessessarily bullying. Just ignore it if it bothers you, unless it has some importance. Just don't over react. Yeah, shit posting is a bit of a problem, but are you really going to stop because of that? This happens everywhere, unfortunetly, but that doesn't mean you should just out right quite modding.
Edit: Being here a bit over a year, I can confirm the fact that mods get a lot of stuff before you decide to save it for later and work on something new. *Cought* Before Story *Cought* *Cought*.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2015 at 1:08 AM
Veteran Member
Yeah, don't pay attention to people like Bobbyis. Your mod is quite fun, and if you keep producing better mods like you recently have, more and more people will start playing them. Just ignore the shitposts , Bobbyis's post especially because no one takes him seriously anymore. I mean the ones that don't have any form of constructive critisism, not ones that do.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2015 at 1:10 AM
War criminal
Sep 17, 2015 at 1:57 AM
Veteran Member
I didn't mean to disrespect older users, I just think he should ignore posts from people who obviously haven't played the mod. Not ones that provide constructive critisism.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2015 at 2:44 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Jaws, can you please pacify your mammaries? As other people've said, shitposting is just shitposting. Just ignore it. It's done either to be an ebin memelord or to elicit a response, and if it's the latter you're only giving the shitposter what they want by reacting.

I do agree with Doors on you being the problem, though. You always, and I mean always, stir up drama when it doesn't need to be stirred.

The only criticism I've seen so far is "I can't reset my weapons." For now, that hardly warrants an entire new version.

This's kind of dumb. Even though it's just one bug, it doesn't mean you can't go fix it.

Anyways, I played your mod, and here're my notes (rather short given the nature of the mod):
okay let's do this thing

You should've probably put sparkles or something in front of the Mimiga statues in the room right after Start Point. It took me a second to realize that I needed to examine them to get my weapon(s).

If you quit and reload the game right after getting your weapons from the statues, the wall blocking the teleporter reappears. You can get it to go away again by inspecting a statue, but it's still weird. Same happens whenever you die and reload.

I STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY YOU HAD TO BORROW THE GREAT WHITE CRITTER AND SUTO FROM JENKA'S NIGHTMARE AAAAAAAAAAAA
I understand you got permission and all, but why can't you just come up with original resources?
WHY SUTO?

balrog's missiles are invisible
this is not ok

wait why did i get the snake
oh shit the machine gun doesn't need ammo anymore
booster 2.0 yesss

WHY DID THE MACHINE GUN GO TO LEVEL 1
WHY
WHY
WHY
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

ok thank you for putting exp capsules in the arena

I didn't get anything for killing Nyan Cat without taking damage
0/10 into the garbage this mod goes

i hate my keyboard so much
i shouldn't die to first form ballos at full health

I ended up getting to what I think was the final boss on my first try, but it was then that my keyboard decided to pull some shenanigans. Each attempt afterwards grew progressively worse.
7 broken keyboards out of 10

Sep 17, 2015 at 3:56 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
jaws if you're going to tread modding like a shitty popularity contest then obviously you're not going to have very much fun doing it. Make mods because you want to. This forum has literally tens of people on it and if all you care about is how many downloads you get this is the wrong place.

Some people's responses to this thread have not be especially helpful but let's take a look at what got this little shitstorm started:
Also, is it me, or do you either have to be really popular or make a shitty mod to get noticed on these forums?

EDIT:
To elaborate, not many people seem too interested in playing this, and after the recent bout of beginner mods, you'd think people would want to play something polished.
all I see is a loaded question to redirect your own insecurities into being the community's fault.
Then some people offered their ideas on your points
Then you offer a bunch of further insight on how shitty we all are, and how only k00l kids get credit or newbs get made fun of. Great.

Then you get ONE badpost by bobbyis (who is a literal shitler) and suddenly it's a 9-alarm shitposting fire and time to leave passive-aggressive messages on our VM wall and quit modding forever.
I'd like you to take a long, slow read over of the responses to this thread and think about who exactly you think is out to get you.

The CSTSF has a long history of being abrasive but we don't do it out of spite, most of the time. And you've always been quick to point the gun and get into arguments with other members. So please, for your own sake, just slow down and think about how you've been reacting here.

e: I'm going to split this big shitty discussion into its own shitty thread. shit.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2015 at 4:01 AM
jaws if you're going to tread modding like a shitty popularity contest then obviously you're not going to have very much fun doing it. Make mods because you want to. This forum has literally tens of people on it and if all you care about is how many downloads you get this is the wrong place.

Some people's responses to this thread have not be especially helpful but let's take a look at what got this little shitstorm started:

all I see is a loaded question to redirect your own insecurities into being the community's fault.
Then some people offered their ideas on your points
Then you offer a bunch of further insight on how shitty we all are, and how only k00l kids get credit or newbs get made fun of. Great.

Then you get ONE badpost by bobbyis (who is a literal shitler) and suddenly it's a 9-alarm shitposting fire and time to leave passive-aggressive messages on our VM wall and quit modding forever.
I'd like you to take a long, slow read over of the responses to this thread and think about who exactly you think is out to get you.

The CSTSF has a long history of being abrasive but we don't do it out of spite, most of the time. And you've always been quick to point the gun and get into arguments with other members. So please, for your own sake, just slow down and think about how you've been reacting here.

e: I'm going to split this big shitty discussion into its own shitty thread. shit.

Honestly, my reaction to this situation is now just indifference. I don't care. I come to this forum to see my work get played. IDC if people hate it. But what good is making a mod when the community is so small and new members are pushed away for being new?

Sep 17, 2015 at 4:04 AM
Professional Whatever
Personal improvement

Sep 17, 2015 at 4:11 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
But what good is making a mod when the community is so small and new members are pushed away for being new?

To have fun making something that others enjoy? To learn how to create a game-thing without making an entire game engine by yourself?

People will play your mod, so learn to enjoy the feedback you get, and how to grow from it. Don't try to be "the most popular", or else there's really no point to what you're doing here.

New members aren't pushed away for being new, they're pushed away for breaking rules and being annoying in general (demanding help with their mod, demanding people play their things). No one is entitled to have their mod be played, as a creator you have to earn the plays you get, whether it's by having something cool or flashy (asm hacks are pretty flashy normally) or by building up a reputation in the community (aka being one of the "cool kids"). If your mods are good you will become reputable, eventually.

I honestly don't care if you stop modding or not, but please be aware that the reasons you are quitting are entirely of your own creation, just as your decision to quit is of your own volition.