Cave Story: Chinfish Rescue Demo

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:24 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I decided to dive right into the mod instead of reading the other posts, so disregard any criticism that's already been given.

Right off the bat, you didn't put all of the mod's files into a single folder. So, when you extract the files after downloading them, you get a bunch of files on your desktop instead of one neat folder.

Another pet peeve of mine, but the game starts in fullscreen instead of 640 by 480 windowed.

Why does Kazuma know who Quote is, but not Kanpachi?

p206053-0-neh7gj5.png

The water right below the passage to the left should go up a little bit more so those ripples aren't right under the rock. Otherwise, the water looks pretty weird. Also, the tiles right above said water look a little too sharp.

It might be a good idea to make it so Kanpachi doesn't say the same thing every time you talk to him. In other words, so that he doesn't constantly introduce himself.

p206053-1-jmz9tyq.png

You can glitch through to the top of the tile that's three tiles below Kanpachi.

p206053-2-n6ahwzj.png

This corner that I'm standing in should be rounded out more so that I can't walk into it like this.

Uhh... why am I allowed to leave First Cave without the Polar Star?

Oh, it's because the Hermit Gunsmith's house is blocked off with star blocks.

When you talk to the Debug Cat below the door to First Cave in Mimiga Village, the sound that plays when characters appear in a message box starts before the message box can show up.

Sandaime is still the same, I guess.

How does Jack know that I should be looking for Sue? Sue hasn't even been mentioned once since the beginning of the mod.

Whenever you finish talking to Mahin, he doesn't turn back to his original position like normal. Also, the way that Sue's introduction is being handled feels kind of rough.

p206053-3-9uz1nny.png

How do we know who Curly is???
Why does it only have 50 shots?????

p206053-4-dyowhng.png

a bunch of broken terrain here, by the way
at least two places where you can glitch through the floor to the top of said floor

p206053-5-zvx6lkc.png

why is "Teleporter" capitalized?

p206053-6-xkemtvy.png

there shouldn't be so much space between "a" and "huge"

p206053-7-6dzflja.png

Santa is being pretty calm/casual about the assumedly recent death of Chie

There was no transition at all between the Shack and Egg 00's room.

It's kind of odd how the game gives you the option to save in Egg 00's room upon entering it. Why not just include a save disc?

p206053-8-cieqiqi.png

This background looks very not good.
Also, why is that door to the right there if you can't enter it?

Why is the computer still there if the egg isn't? Why does the computer reference the egg if absolutely nothing is in the background?

p206053-9-k6narsj.png

what

It is a very, very, VERY bad idea to make the player fight a boss with a limited number of shots. Once you use up all 50 shots of the Nemesis, it becomes virtually impossible to beat the Radioactive Dragon boss.

Speaking of the Radioactive Dragon boss, I honestly hope you're just joking about its sprites and not actually being serious when you say this was intended. No amount of "radioactivity" justifies whatever that was.

If you reenter Egg 00's room after killing the Radioactive Dragon boss, the barrier separating you from the rest of Egg Corridor reappears. If you happen to save after you leave, it becomes impossible to progress.

brb playing through the mod again

p206053-10-hcienku.png

this is not okay when the rest of the egg is in the foreground in relation to Quote

health/ammo refill station WHERE?
going through Egg Corridor is not fun when I have 22 Nemesis shots and 10 level 1/2 missiles.

p206053-11-iyrlshh.png

FOR WHAT PURPOSE
the wall
the dragon
just
ok

Sue's got some balls trying to take on a zombie dragon with nothing but her fists

The game stopped as the dragon approached Sue, and I had to press Z to make the cutscene continue.

What Sue tells you after she gets knocked back in front of you is filled with unneccesary capitalizations. Also, WHAT IS THIS STORY I DON'T UNDERSTAND.

p206053-12-9eofqej.png

p206053-13-ejtr8nu.gif

p206053-14-w8qy5g5.png

There should be a space between "Huh!?" and "It's"

Why does Quote jump back after being told that Egg 02 is the key?

p206053-15-zzq0a3w.png

But I just came from Egg Corridor???

Why is the Hermit Gunsmith in Egg 02? Why is the inside of Egg 02 called Egg 01?

Nice, I got the Polar Star! But... WHY DOES IT ONLY HAVE 40 SHOTS? LITERALLY AND FIGURATIVELY WHY DO ALL OF THESE WEAPONS HAVE LIMITED AMMUNITION?

Also I talked to him a second time, heard the dialogue noise, and then got warped to the top of Cthulhu's Abode.
...why?

There's nowhere else for me to go, so I assume this's everything I can do at the moment.

I advise that you both add more content before the initial release and polish said content before the initial release in the future.

Well, I've decided to discontinue this mod until further notice, as I glitched up the egg corridor really bad. Here's a link to what I did: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p1xrabebuedw56y/CSCR.zip?dl=0
You can mess with it however you want.

discontinue this mod until further notice

discontinue this mod

p206053-16-xzv3zgy.jpg

discontinuing the mod while I'm playing the mod

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2015 at 10:36 PM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
I decided to dive right into the mod instead of reading the other posts, so disregard any criticism that's already been given.

Right off the bat, you didn't put all of the mod's files into a single folder. So, when you extract the files after downloading them, you get a bunch of files on your desktop instead of one neat folder.

Another pet peeve of mine, but the game starts in fullscreen instead of 640 by 480 windowed.

Why does Kazuma know who Quote is, but not Kanpachi?

p206053-0-neh7gj5.png

The water right below the passage to the left should go up a little bit more so those ripples aren't right under the rock. Otherwise, the water looks pretty weird. Also, the tiles right above said water look a little too sharp.

It might be a good idea to make it so Kanpachi doesn't say the same thing every time you talk to him. In other words, so that he doesn't constantly introduce himself.

p206053-1-jmz9tyq.png

You can glitch through to the top of the tile that's three tiles below Kanpachi.

p206053-2-n6ahwzj.png

This corner that I'm standing in should be rounded out more so that I can't walk into it like this.

Uhh... why am I allowed to leave First Cave without the Polar Star?

Oh, it's because the Hermit Gunsmith's house is blocked off with star blocks.

When you talk to the Debug Cat below the door to First Cave in Mimiga Village, the sound that plays when characters appear in a message box starts before the message box can show up.

Sandaime is still the same, I guess.

How does Jack know that I should be looking for Sue? Sue hasn't even been mentioned once since the beginning of the mod.

Whenever you finish talking to Mahin, he doesn't turn back to his original position like normal. Also, the way that Sue's introduction is being handled feels kind of rough.

p206053-3-9uz1nny.png

How do we know who Curly is???
Why does it only have 50 shots?????

p206053-4-dyowhng.png

a bunch of broken terrain here, by the way
at least two places where you can glitch through the floor to the top of said floor

p206053-5-zvx6lkc.png

why is "Teleporter" capitalized?

p206053-6-xkemtvy.png

there shouldn't be so much space between "a" and "huge"

p206053-7-6dzflja.png

Santa is being pretty calm/casual about the assumedly recent death of Chie

There was no transition at all between the Shack and Egg 00's room.

It's kind of odd how the game gives you the option to save in Egg 00's room upon entering it. Why not just include a save disc?

p206053-8-cieqiqi.png

This background looks very not good.
Also, why is that door to the right there if you can't enter it?

Why is the computer still there if the egg isn't? Why does the computer reference the egg if absolutely nothing is in the background?

p206053-9-k6narsj.png

what

It is a very, very, VERY bad idea to make the player fight a boss with a limited number of shots. Once you use up all 50 shots of the Nemesis, it becomes virtually impossible to beat the Radioactive Dragon boss.

Speaking of the Radioactive Dragon boss, I honestly hope you're just joking about its sprites and not actually being serious when you say this was intended. No amount of "radioactivity" justifies whatever that was.

If you reenter Egg 00's room after killing the Radioactive Dragon boss, the barrier separating you from the rest of Egg Corridor reappears. If you happen to save after you leave, it becomes impossible to progress.

brb playing through the mod again

p206053-10-hcienku.png

this is not okay when the rest of the egg is in the foreground in relation to Quote

health/ammo refill station WHERE?
going through Egg Corridor is not fun when I have 22 Nemesis shots and 10 level 1/2 missiles.

p206053-11-iyrlshh.png

FOR WHAT PURPOSE
the wall
the dragon
just
ok

Sue's got some balls trying to take on a zombie dragon with nothing but her fists

The game stopped as the dragon approached Sue, and I had to press Z to make the cutscene continue.

What Sue tells you after she gets knocked back in front of you is filled with unneccesary capitalizations. Also, WHAT IS THIS STORY I DON'T UNDERSTAND.

p206053-12-9eofqej.png

p206053-13-ejtr8nu.gif

p206053-14-w8qy5g5.png

There should be a space between "Huh!?" and "It's"

Why does Quote jump back after being told that Egg 02 is the key?

p206053-15-zzq0a3w.png

But I just came from Egg Corridor???

Why is the Hermit Gunsmith in Egg 02? Why is the inside of Egg 02 called Egg 01?

Nice, I got the Polar Star! But... WHY DOES IT ONLY HAVE 40 SHOTS? LITERALLY AND FIGURATIVELY WHY DO ALL OF THESE WEAPONS HAVE LIMITED AMMUNITION?

Also I talked to him a second time, heard the dialogue noise, and then got warped to the top of Cthulhu's Abode.
...why?

There's nowhere else for me to go, so I assume this's everything I can do at the moment.

I advise that you both add more content before the initial release and polish said content before the initial release in the future.

p206053-16-xzv3zgy.jpg

discontinuing the mod while I'm playing the mod
Sorry about discontinuing. I'm already working on my next mod. Also, the Dragon glitching was intentional. I left the entity as Igor instead of changing it, just to make sure it was a bit more... Radioactive?

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:38 PM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Sorry about discontinuing. I'm already working on my next mod. Also, the Dragon glitching was intentional. I left the entity as Igor instead of changing it, just to make sure it was a bit more... Radioactive?
I'm already working on my next mod.
I thought you had changed.

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:42 PM
Soup Man
I thought you had changed.
You may be thinking: GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3GKA3, but no. I'm just working on a short mod called CS: Challenges. Once I'm finished, I'll try to finish CSCR.

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:45 PM
Perpetually out of it
So if you're going to finish CSCR anyway
Why interrupt its development cycle with something else

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:48 PM
Veteran Member
So if you're going to finish CSCR anyway
Why interrupt its development cycle with something else
At least he's not trying to make another cave story sequel like he did last time.

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:56 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Why would you discontinue this mod so soon? You should have started with whatever mod you're going to work on before making this one, or you should finish this one before starting the other one.

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:12 PM
Eevee Enthusiast

VirtualBoy, you don't understand. That was, and still is, a lazy excuse for not making proper sprites for that boss. No one in their right mind would think that making something a glitchy mess of sprites (consisting of completely normal enemy sprites, mind) would convey something like radioactivity.

Also, in regards to you making another mod so soon after dropping this one, why not just sit down and try to fix this one? Why waste time making a mod that is presumably shorter than this one when you could be spending time repairing Egg Corridor?

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:20 PM
Soup Man
VirtualBoy, you don't understand. That was, and still is, a lazy excuse for not making proper sprites for that boss. No one in their right mind would think that making something a glitchy mess of sprites (consisting of completely normal enemy sprites, mind) would convey something like radioactivity.

Also, in regards to you making another mod so soon after dropping this one, why not just sit down and try to fix this one? Why waste time making a mod that is presumably shorter than this one when you could be spending time repairing Egg Corridor?
Also, I said I didn't drop it completely. When I'm done making this short mod, I'll fix it.

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:31 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
The mod was abandoned (temporarily) after less than two days? This might be a record.

After playing it though, egg corridor doesn't seem very messed up, just the "radioactive" glitchy dragon.

The barrier doesn't go away after the boss is defeated, but after I went back to mimiga village and came back, one of the barriers dissapeared.

p206065-0-2045e7f42a1135ec157fab71e3e0e357805c.png

Also, is it just me, or are the start point and first cave very similar to GKA1?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    85.7 KB · Views: 2
Sep 6, 2015 at 11:34 PM
Soup Man
The mod was abandoned (temporarily) after less than two days? This might be a record.

After playing it though, egg corridor doesn't seem very messed up, just the "radioactive" glitchy dragon.

The barrier doesn't go away after the boss is defeated, but after I went back to mimiga village and came back, one of the barriers dissapeared.

p206065-0-2045e7f42a1135ec157fab71e3e0e357805c.png

Also, is it just me, or are the start point and first cave very similar to GKA1?
Huh. I wonder why the barrier goes away after going to the village. Eh. I'll figure it out when I start fixing the mod again.

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:43 PM
Veteran Member
He roughly copied the mimiga village at least from GKA 2.
The demo is up. Also, for Mimiga Village, I just just took what I had in GKA 2 and put it there.
Quote from his profile feed.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2015 at 12:30 AM
Soup Man
I'm almost done with my new mod!!! My facial expression: :chin: Everyone else's: :muscledoc::muscledoc::muscledoc::muscledoc::muscledoc::muscledoc::muscledoc::muscledoc::muscledoc::muscledoc::muscledoc::muscledoc::muscledoc::muscledoc::muscledoc::muscledoc:
Also, guys, I won't even make a thread for the mod. I'll just post a link to the download in my posts.

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:51 AM
Veteran Member
I'm almost done with my new mod!!! My facial expression: :chin: Everyone else's: :muscledoc::muscledoc::muscledoc::muscledoc::muscledoc::muscledoc::muscledoc::muscledoc::muscledoc::muscledoc::muscledoc::muscledoc::muscledoc::muscledoc::muscledoc::muscledoc:
Also, guys, I won't even make a thread for the mod. I'll just post a link to the download in my posts.
You're almost done with your new mod after working on it for only a few hours? That's not a good sign.

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:54 AM
Soup Man
You're almost done with your new mod after working on it for only a few hours? That's not a good sign.
Actually, the mod was crap anyways. I trashed it. I'm continuing CSCR now.

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:57 AM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
What a wild ride

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:57 AM
Soup Man
I'm sensing a trend here.
Sorry about that. The mod was originally a CS challenge mode, then changed into a creepypasta, then giant load of crap on the screen. (A.K.A. Random blocks everywhere!!!!!!)

Sep 7, 2015 at 1:29 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
Sorry about that. The mod was originally a CS challenge mode, then changed into a creepypasta, then giant load of crap on the screen. (A.K.A. Random blocks everywhere!!!!!!)

How exactly do you go from creepypasta to random blocks/tiles everywhere? Normally I don't mind things turning spooky as long as it's handled well, but how do you manage that?