Curly Brace M.U.G.E.N character discovered! (Also Balrog)

May 29, 2012 at 7:46 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I do not want to post it in this thread because it is more than 60 days old, so I am just going to post this here. (Admin or moderator, if you find it fit to be merged to the thread mentioned before, remove my notice and merge.)

I was looking at images.google.com using the serch term (カーリーブレイス) and came across this! EDIT 1/15/2017: Link is dead, however the MUGEN Archive site shall cure this. That is why they're the cure for error 404 (and such) Here is a Wayback Machine link if you cannot handle the wait with annoying ads.

Someone finally made her. Author is cabocha. Check this out. This is for Beta M.U.G.E.N (2002.04.14) and works with M.U.G.E.N 1.0 and higher. (Now updated for M.U.G.E.N 1.0 standards in my Add-On and is recommended that you use Curly_Brace_1.0.def for M.U.G.E.N 1.0+)
Demonstration video: http://www.nicozon.net/watch/sm15367148
YouTube videos: Search NOTICE: A few videos that show with my Add-On Patch have turned up!

>>> Click to download the Add-On Patch <<<
(Make sure you download cabocha's original work because it is required.)

For more info about the patch, see post #13.

YouTube video courtesy by RGM Fighter MK-II:

Note: Debug flooding occurs at Level 3 while AI MODE is activated.
Because the readme file and config file are Japanese, I had to translate the documents using Google translate and rewrite them to make more clear. Here they are. Now included in the Add-On patch. Check post #13.
  • config
  • readme (saved in unicode, you must download and open in Notepad.)

EDIT: While trying to find Cave Story stages, I found a Balrog by Michael Armaros. EDIT 1/15/2017: The download link takes you to axfc.net which used to host this file, but it is 404'd. Again, the MUGEN Archive solves the problem.
Demonstration video: http://www.nicozon.net/watch/sm16885890
YouTube videos: Search

M.U.G.E.N Database Wiki entry for Curly Brace.
M.U.G.E.N Database Wiki entry for Balrog.

List updated 4/2/2015: My videos:

Last edited:
May 29, 2012 at 8:41 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Well that's awesome. We have Misery and Sue already, right? Now we just need Quote. D:
Too bad I still need to download MUGEN.

May 29, 2012 at 10:04 PM
The Preacher
I do not want to post it in this thread because it is more than 60 days old
And so you think creating a new thread is an acceptable alternative?

If we already have a MUGEN thread, and you actually have relevant content to post, then just post it in the thread.
Necroposting is a pollution only in the case of useless thread bumps, because it lowers the position of all the active threads which are, well, active. Posting relevant stuff is a completely different matter since it means the bumped thread is active again.
You made something worse than it, aka creating a new thread (which is basically the same as necroposting, since it too lowers the position of all the active threads) on a subject already dealth with by another thread.
So basically, it's like you bumped the old MUGEN thread, but you erased all the previous posts in the thread while doing so.

Don't worry though, the mods are just going to merge this thread in the old one, and we are (at least I am) not going to bear any grudge against you for doing this mistake. I'm just a bit tired of people saying "necroposting is bad so I'm going to make another thread on the same subject" so I decided to answer once and for all to those people: "no, just bump the old thread if you have relevant stuff, it's better than making another thread".

May 29, 2012 at 10:22 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Well since we are so hard on necrobumps, the OP obviously didn't wanna screw anything up so people would jump down their throat. Give them a break :/ at least they thought about it. But I guess they learned?!

May 29, 2012 at 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Last post was January 8 2010 here. It is over 6 months as per the red box message. I could ask for help.

----

Because the readme file and config file are Japanese, I had to translate the documents using Google translate and rewrite them to make more clear. Here they are.
  • config
  • readme (saved in unicode, you must download and open in Notepad.)
Well that's awesome. We have Misery and Sue already, right? Now we just need Quote. D:
Too bad I still need to download MUGEN.

You can download M.U.G.E.N 1.0 at http://www.elecbyte.com. The char works with this version, down through the beta (2002.04.14).
Also, if powerbar is maxed out (3) and you perform a hyper called "Iron Bond" (2141236 + X or Y)...
Quote appears and Curly mounts on him and they both fire Nemesis Lv1 shots rapidly for a while.

EDIT: While trying to find Cave Story stages, I found a Balrog by Michael Armaros.

May 30, 2012 at 8:45 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I'd want a Mugen game centered around Cave Story characters. Who'll be the hero to make us that? Will there be a brave one who'll step ahead (like N0xid) and will do this for us diligently same as N0xid works on his projects. Will there be a N0xid volunteer to do this?

May 30, 2012 at 9:17 PM
The Preacher
Well since we are so hard on necrobumps, the OP obviously didn't wanna screw anything up so people would jump down their throat. Give them a break :/ at least they thought about it. But I guess they learned?!
God WD that's exactly what I'm saying in the last part of my post urrrrrrrgh seriously why do everybody always have to reproach me for gently trying to correct little mistakes made by people so that they can learn from them and get better at life ffffffffffuck

anyway yeah CS in mugen so cool meh I don't even have the heart to try right now

May 30, 2012 at 11:56 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
You can download M.U.G.E.N 1.0 at http://www.elecbyte.com. The char works with this version, but I am not sure of the BETA M.U.G.E.N because I don't use them anymore.

Oh! Thank you very much, I remember last time I downloaded MUGEN (a few years ago, I believe) I couldn't get it to work :(
Although, that was probably due to my limited computer knowledge at the time. Cool stuff, I'll have to try it soon.

May 31, 2012 at 3:46 AM
Veteran Member
If you are ever stuck, here is how it is done:

Unzip the character folder (if there is one, otherwise unzip contents to the folder with the SAME name as the .def filename) and place it in the chars folder. Next, in the data folder, open select.def in notepad (or right-click it and click Edit). Follow ALL directions in this file on how to place characters and stages. Place the name of the folder as instructed.

EDIT: Tpcool has replied by editing the post before this one, quoted here:
Oh! Thank you very much, I remember last time I downloaded MUGEN (a few years ago, I believe) I couldn't get it to work :(
Although, that was probably due to my limited computer knowledge at the time. Cool stuff, I'll have to try it soon.
----

As for any Cave Story M.U.G.E.N stages, the "Balcony" and "Throne Room" can only be seen in YouTube as I could not ever find a single download, BUT I found "The King's Table" in the Google search.

EDIT: I have found 3 of the following Cave Story stages:
  • Balcony: hoshi.trinitymugen.net Open source.
  • Throne Room: Nijikaku Just like the Misery char, the stage is titled Miza.def & Miza.sff. Has a flying character and a "Longcat" in the background.
  • King's Table: beta.kidradd.org Comes in three versions, original, enhanced and small. I like enhanced better.

May 31, 2012 at 7:39 AM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Most MUGEN games won't work in 64 bit Win7 and are asking for 32 bit. Is there a workaround?

Dec 22, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Veteran Member
trickybilly said:
Most MUGEN games won't work in 64 bit Win7 and are asking for 32 bit. Is there a workaround?
Please direct your attention to the forums at elecbyte.com. This topic is about specific M.U.G.E.N character based on Cave Story. I played it on a 64-bit OS and it still worked for me.

I scaled Curly down by half for Bane84's Contra stage in this video. View it and see her in action. The victory quote (M.U.G.E.N 1.0 only) that I added relates to her victory pose when she wins. This is for humor purposes...

Try challenging the GOLD Curly (12P). Hold Start and press Z on Curly in Select Screen for the palette. Has very strong attack and defense, whimsical star (being part of 11P and 12P setting in config.txt) and also can REGENERATE HEALTH.

This video shows the battle between Curly and Balrog at The King's Table. Also, enjoy this other video. And this one too.

When I looked into that animation with Fighter Factory, I noticed Curly eating some yellow stuff and copied the Japanese text to the search box of the browser. Turns out, Curly is compatible with Eternal Fighter Zero's Akiko Minase, that purple-haired housekeeping girl from Kanon made by M.U.G.E.N char author Shimon and the one made by author Uma. Curly is having a sample of Akiko's yellow jam!

To perform this in M.U.G.E.N, Akiko must have 1/3 Life left and MAX Power to perform the "Final Memory" command 2A2BC, if the attack connects Curly, she will feed her the Jam that's not sweet at the breakfast table. Both Shimon's Akiko and Uma's Akiko, Shimon's Akiko does OHKO, but Uma's Akiko could not completely knock out if opponent has a lot of Life.

Below is an Add-On Patch for Curly. I added sprites and animations for interaction by EFZ Chars like Misuzu Kamio, Kanna, plus some non-EFZ chars, etc. (uses group 7696, 7697 and 7990) Plus, Demitri's Midnight Bliss can burn after!

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

Use 586_mizuka, one of the bosses of EFZ to demonstrate "Inside the barrel" move 641236 + A(Lv1)/B(Lv2)/C(Lv3) on Curly.

~ UPDATES ~

3/14/2015: Added two new additional states, including Pharaoh's Curse, which you see the Cave Story sprite version of Curly. I used with CVS2 Anakaris by Gal129. Uses the 9030s groups. Pharaoh's Curse Showcase Video
3/16/2015: HUZZAH! I created Arcade Storyboards! They're now in the patch. Package of videos of my Arcade run showcasing storyboards. (7z file, use 7-zip.)
3/27/2015: Now updated the def and states for M.U.G.E.N 1.0 standards. Use Curly_Brace_1.0.def if using it for M.U.G.E.N 1.0 or above.
4/25/2015: Added Ougon Musou Kyoku META return states with a cut-in art courtesy from lyiol. Color modified by me.
6/2/2015: Added two new victory poses, one regular and one that you win with 250 life or less.
6/7/2015: Increased RoundNotOver time for Win at Low Health pose, WinPerfect and Win at Low Health pose no longer works for palettes 11 & 12, one of four regular poses instead.
6/8/2015: Added a special win pose in Curly's states when defeating a certain boss character to make compatible.
3/4/2016: Minor tweaks to sprites and sounds. Non-18+ is now default and its SFF and AIR that contained the 18+ content are now in their special files.

>>> Click to download the Add-On Patch <<<

Simply read the instructions to patch your Curly that is originally downloaded from (Cabocha's site or sites that distribute it).
To see for yourself, play Curly in M.U.G.E.N with a character that can shock, burn or freeze (For example: 586's Misuzu Kamio, Gal129's Demitri or Warner's Kang) as the opponent to experiment shock, burn and freeze! Or watch this video (Only shock and burn.)

EDIT 12/22/2013: Just wanted to post here about a new stage I made.

Since Curly does not have her very own stage, I have created "Sand Zone Residence" stage for M.U.G.E.N for all versions, 1.1 stage zooming compatible.

Download here!

I created a M.U.G.E.N Database Wiki article for this stage! Right here. Oh... and here is a video of the stage.

Last edited: