SCS Episode 1 - forever version 0.9X due to being CANCELLED

Feb 27, 2012 at 3:18 PM
hi hi
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Thanks for telling me, Mixer 8421. I'll be sure to attain Cave Editor 0.99d.

I'm only doing what I should do.

SECOND EDIT:
Uhm, why does Mannan have Health of 100, yet he dies after three hits of the LVL3 Fireball or Polar Star? If I change it, will it glitch the game? I once modified Gaudi's HP, and it glitched the game... I should be careful then when I change HP.

Some enemies dies and there's running a special action, e.g. Gaudi dies - he (it?) changes into Dead Gaudi, Mannan dies - it changes to Dead Mannan or something. That's why they,ve got 1000 HP. You can't change it.

THIRD EDIT:
I'm finished with the entire Egg Corridor except for the Egg 00 room (the cutscene part, mostly). And yet again I'm haunting this topic, this time with a third edit of a post. I hope it doesn't go to the fourth, otherwise I'd probably add a reference to this in the mod. Already did with the PC in the Egg Observation Room, which doesn't have me on this site, but instead "SBaneN". Meaning the protagonist in the mod is in another realm. And Mixer8421 is mentioned there too, as the protagonist recalls being told by Mixer8421 about Cave Editor 0.99d.

Thanks man.

Now I think I'll try your mod.
I've already downloaded it.

Feb 27, 2012 at 4:00 PM
The Eternal Darkness
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Question. Should Grasstown retain its tileset or should I try to make an icy version of it and call it Icetown? Then at least water won't be a problem as it would be frozen solid, but still. I have to ask what people think so that I can make this mod even better than it already is, if I actually manage to make it better than Cave Story, which most mods are.

SECOND EDIT:
Uhm, why does Mannan have Health of 100, yet he dies after three hits of the LVL3 Fireball or Polar Star? If I change it, will it glitch the game? I once modified Gaudi's HP, and it glitched the game... I should be careful then when I change HP.

Some enemies dies and there's running a special action, e.g. Gaudi dies - he (it?) changes into Dead Gaudi, Mannan dies - it changes to Dead Mannan or something. That's why they,ve got 1000 HP. You can't change it.

Actually, I can, but then it will glitch the game. Increasing or decreasing it. Such foes I'll leave them be, except maybe change their damage and experience values in the next version.

EDIT:
Next version will have another member mentioned. First version has Mixer8421, next one, I'm not going to say.

SECOND EDIT:
Could anybody think of names for crocodile enemies? I found an unused crocodile (or something) sprite in the Guest file, and made an enemy of it for another mod I'm going to work on after all my current mods are done. They act like Gaudis do, meaning that there are those who levitate (flying crocodiles don't work well) and cast spells, and those who throw stuff, that are yellow. Then there's a purple one that could replace Chaba.
And while I'm continuing the mod, I made Drolls appear there, and made the Execution Chamber harder to get the Life Capsule: more monsters. Drolls, those crocodiles, and Presses.

THIRD EDIT:
It seems like another member of this forum wants to be in a CS mod of mine. Wow this is amazing. Anyway, should I post a Powerpoint file here with some spoilers about what I plan to change or add? And anyone who wants a part in this mod (even a small one) should tell me. I'll do everything in my non-assembly-using power to do so (and if it requires assembly, then it's going to be a problem for me, so I have to do it without assembly). And yes, the mod's Shane will make his own words up without thinking twice. You have been warned (although I think he doesn't use any yet).

FOURTH EDIT:
I apologize for the double post. Why the forums can't update the times when something has been updated, I don't know. Anyway, Crushing Victory has, whilst playing Time Warp (this is where the topic is: http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/3975/) found a few bugs. Anyone who plays this mod should say which bugs or glitches there are (and I know that there is a portrait glitch in the secret game-over area, I've already fixed it while working on version 0.2). If the Balrog boss is still too easy, I'll try to do something about that too.

Feb 27, 2012 at 10:27 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Feb 28, 2012 at 8:10 AM
The Eternal Darkness
Okay. Now I just need to make the tileset before renaming it. If Ralren was still on these forums, then I'd ask him if I could use the WeedFrost files in his Path of Ruin mod, but unfortunately, I can't.

But if I could make an upgraded Store area (not in this mod yet) then I could probably make my own Icetown tileset. It will be hard, but it's my quest now!

EDIT:
Drolls in Grasstown/Icytown/Whatever name it will have if Icytown doesn't work. Those Theory posts helped a lot. Anyone who posted at the topic where it's mentioned that Drolls lived in Grasstown, thanks. And getting that second Life Capsule is way harder now! This is where that topic is (http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/3948/), if anyone wants to know.

Feb 29, 2012 at 2:48 PM
hi hi
I finished your mod.
I didn't find any bugs, but I couldn't get the life capsule in Egg Corridor...
Can you tell me how to do it?

And nice ending:
King: I'll swear you limb a limb!
But that's end of demo... etc.

I'll give your mod 7/10.
You can give more your sprites, make new tilesets, and if you want I can help you with some things.

Feb 29, 2012 at 5:46 PM
The Eternal Darkness
I finished your mod.
I didn't find any bugs, but I couldn't get the life capsule in Egg Corridor...
Can you tell me how to do it?
If you want screenshots, then I can give them in a PowerPoint file, although if I finish my next version I will remove the current screenshots and replace them with the new ones. The link (http://www.mediafire...yq66ufd6yn4wud4) to "Shane's Cave Story.pptx".
If you've read that, then you'll know how to obtain both Life Capsules. I actually placed a hint there. There are three Life Capsules. Two of them are fake, and one of the fakes show the location of an invisible one.

And nice ending:
King:
If we don't get Toroko back safely, I'll swear I'll tear you limb from limb! But the demo ends here. The rest of this mod is the same as Cave Story.
I had to extract it to see the message. Anyway, most of the quote is the full message. I promise the next version's ending will also contain something... but wasn't there anything with END? I could have sworn I put something like this there:

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

EEE N N DD
EE N N N D D
EEE N N DD

If it doesn't look right, I don't know what's wrong...
If it's not there, then I accidentally put it in the version 0.2 instead, and deleted it as I went on! If that END part is missing, then I apologize.

I'll give your mod 7/10. You can give more your sprites, make new tilesets, and if you want I can help you with some things.
You say you can help me with some things? How good's your spriting? I had to make Shane's portrait similar to my avatar, kinda, meaning a Pokémon Trainer lost his head so that I could use that in the mod. Anyway, I'm glad that you completed the mod. I expected a 5/10 or less, but a 7/10 is a good thing!

Okay, some questions that anyone playing this mod could answer, which will aid me in making this mod. This will be ten questions, thus I'll have to place them in spoilers to save space. Quote the entire spoiler part and underline the answer. That will make it easier for me to see what the answer is. Or you could simply do something like:
ANSWERS:
1. ___
2. ___ etc
This is important for the mod!
QUESTIONS:
1. Should I make more puzzles that allows the Life Capsules to be attained?
2. Should Grasstown be changed to Icytown (any better name would be welcome)?
3. Should this mod remain "Shane's Cave Story" or should it get a better name?
4. Should I add spoilers in the mod by revealing some of the new foes (i.e. the Sand Zone boss with the Mimigas, if anyone plays to there)?
5. Should I make the mod a bit more challenging? This will affect the puzzles!
6. Should I try to add more jokes?
7. Should I try to allow Shane to teleport? My next Time Warp version will have something like that, if people want me to add teleportation here.
8. Should I add references to other games, members of this forum, et cetera? (I already placed a reference to Mixer8421, and I will add Kanpachi and another member in the next version). If so, then please note that since there is a limit of ten, thus there are seven members remaining if anyone wants to be in this mod.
9. Should the :chin: have high HP and drop loads of XP? If so, I will place him somewhere where he's safe from non-flyers!
10. Should :balrog: receive a fourth boss fight? If so, somebody who has experience with modding should help me with this. This one is the shooting one, and I'd like to place him after the first :balrog: boss fight.

Thanks for playing, whoever played the mod (Mixer8421 included). Any feedback would be welcome (such as Mixer8421's).

EDIT:
This is how I plan to make each version (although I'm not that good as ResourceHacker yet).
Egg Corridor: v0.1 (currently downloadable)
Grasstown: v0.2 (at the moment I'm working on it, I only need to do the Balrog 2nd battle and Balfrog parts, as well as Kanpachi's house

that has Kanpachi there as well... for good

)
Sand Zone: v0.3
Labyrinth: v0.4
Destroyed Egg Corridor: v0.5
Plantation: v0.6
Sky Maze (secret area I'm planning which requires the First Cave Life Capsule to be ignored): v0.7
Undead Core Defeated: v0.8
Unknown secret area: v0.9 (any idea what I could use for this?)
Sacred Grounds: v1.0
Oh, and if you play on ahead, you may find music that will be used in the future versions! So if you reached the end and don't want to continue due to lack of numerous changes, just continue and you'll find music that will be used in future versions (hint: Grasstown already has some).

And I may place one of my riddles (http://www.cavestory...pic-of-riddles/) in this mod to access a rare item.

Anybody want a Golden Capsule?

I really do apologize for the double post, but if it's the only way to easily access it from the main forum page...

Anyway, version 0.2 is done at last. For those who want the screenshots, here: http://www.mediafire...0y488ii9av89b5t
For those who want to play the new version, go to the first page of this topic.
For those who want to play the next version, wait for it.
There's a boss fight in the Sand Zone that can be taken, by the way. Curly's replacement has become harder and can kill Shane in two hits with the machine gun.

Those who have finished this new version should tell me whether it's too hard or too easy. And the Fireball's replacement comes in a future version, so the Nemesis' replacement should have to do. But unlevelled up, it has a great range :cool: -- level it up and both damage and range decreases. Up to the point of firing chickens (blame Pixel).

Version 0.3 will take a while, since somebody who is in command (in name only) wants to be in the Sand Zone. Thus I can't finish this version until the commander has made his sprites. If anyone else (3/10 members) wishes to be part of this here mod, PM me. Unless stated which sprites are to be used that already exist, those who wish to be a part of this mod are to sprite themselves. When my next release is triggered, I'll add a post stating which members are currently in this mod, although Mixer8421 already is a part of it. Speaking of which, Kanpachi is too, and if you explore the Grasstown (too lazy for spriting when I worked on it) area, you should find a teleporter to the start. But check the screenshots for that!

Version 0.2 has more enemies too, by the way.

EDIT:
The Fireball's replacement is the Ice Ball, which is more powerful since if the user controls ice, the power increases. This will be handy against Omega, Possessed Kim (9600 HP :p ) and Frenzied Toroko (unchanged?). And beating Kim will free her, and it will be a slow fight unless the Ice Ball is max level and the block is used. The maximum damage shown (well, that I know of) was 1044 points ( :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:) when I tested that part. And there is no such thing as puppies in this mod! If you're angry :mad: then don't complain, they are replaced by the rare Desert Critters. I drew most of their sprites using the original sprites being copied. Also, Jenka died, so her sister's daughter is Sarah. When this version's out, her Critters' initials spell her name (Serenity, Arnold, Rhue, Abigail, Hilary - I couldn't think of other names) if you look carefully. Also, there's a Save Point near the teleporter, so use that to prevent seeing that cutscene where the protagonist gets the Ice Ball when dying after seeing it. Much better than keeping on restarting from Arthur's house to see that message :)

Also, the Bubbler is now unobtainable. I will remove it to make way for Ice Shard. When Shane transforms, he loses his sword for an unknown reason, so he improvises by firing ice shards. Useful? I guess. His first transformation is when he tries to prevent being possessed by the demon that possessed Kim, but he doesn't notice it (he's weak from being poisoned if he got hit). Also, the Machine Gun won't make an appearance in this mod. My idea is to replace it with afterimages (fists) that deal damage, but I can't draw fists that well :(

I hope somebody is playing version 0.2, since there's nothing about that version. No glitches mentioned, nothing. That's absolutely weird...

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:29 PM
hi hi
QUESTIONS:
4. Should I add spoilers in the mod by revealing some of the new foes (i.e. the Sand Zone boss with the Mimigas, if anyone plays to there)?
7. Should I try to allow Shane to teleport? My next Time Warp version will have something like that, if people want me to add teleportation here.
8. Should I add references to other games, members of this forum, et cetera? (I already placed a reference to Mixer8421, and I will add Kanpachi and another member in the next version). If so, then please note that since there is a limit of ten, thus there are seven members remaining if anyone wants to be in this mod.
9. Should the :chin: have high HP and drop loads of XP? If so, I will place him somewhere where he's safe from non-flyers!
10. Should :balrog: receive a fourth boss fight? If so, somebody who has experience with modding should help me with this. This one is the shooting one, and I'd like to place him after the first :balrog: boss fight.

1. No. I can't get any capsules with puzzles.
2. Yes.
3. It colud get a better name, but I don't know what name.
4. Yes... Probably.
5. ...
6. Yes, your jokes are cool!
7. Hmm... I don't know.
8. It's up to you.
9. No or yes.
10. Yes. And I can help you.

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:40 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Ohey, did you say you want an icy tileset for Grasstown? I'm pretty good at stuff like that, and could probably help you.
(But only if you say a dark wizard by the name 2403 made it winter there.)

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:42 PM
The Eternal Darkness
1. No. I can't get any capsules with puzzles.
2. Yes.
3. It colud could get a better name, but I don't know what name.
4. Yes... Probably.
5. ...
6. Yes, your jokes are cool!
7. Hmm... I don't know.
8. It's up to you.
9. No or yes.
10. Yes. And I can help you.
1. If you have ever played La Mulana, then you should know that getting the Life Jewels are puzzles. When I'm done with this mod, I'll make a guide of it too. Version 0.3 has hidden Life Capsules in the Sand Zone, near those pillars. What other use does that signpost have?
2. Two votes Icytown. Three counting me.
3. Okay. Others are able to suggest a better name if they want to, after all.
4. Cool. I'll make Monster X use his angry graphics in version 0.3, then, and add Muscle Doctor's portrait when battling him, and the Undead Core portrait too.
5. No comment = no. Got it. One vote no, zero votes yes. But monsters are still going to become tough.
6. Thanks. That should be useful enough to get me to make even more. Such as Balrog about to barge into Arthur's house in version 0.3, only to hear King calling him a toaster before he enters, making him so angry that he will run. Poor toaster...
( :balrog: I AM NOT A TOASTER! STOP CALLING ME THAT!) :)
7. Well, that's going to be interesting. In the event that nobody knows, I'll choose coin-toss style!
8. References to other games are up to me, yes. The members, up to those other seven who want to be a part of this mod. Mixer8421 and Kanpachi are already in this mod, although the former is mentioned only. There's a third member who wants to be in this mod, but in this post, his name is secret unless he wants to reveal it.
9. I can make him drop 12.5 triangles...
10. Thanks! Just PM me on how to add Balrog's shooting boss fight, and I'll add it as soon as I possibly can.

I hope other forum members play this mod and deliver feedback. Otherwise this mod's kinda boring, I guess. I'll place something I'm planning below.
Shane: "Not even James Bond can stop you!"
The Doctor: "What's a James Bond?"

EDIT:
Ohey, did you say you want an icy tileset for Grasstown? I'm pretty good at stuff like that, and could probably help you. (But only if you say a dark wizard by the name 2403 made it winter there.)
Mixer8421 said:
Hey Dunc I was first!!!
I have an icy tileset too!!!

You both could send them to me, as long as they are ".bmp" format and the ".pxa" files are with them. ".pxa" files allow the game to know which tiles are solid, which are background, etc. If I like them both, I'll use them both, for different areas, then. You could even freeze the water if you wanted to.

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:58 PM
The Eternal Darkness
Technically, you didn't say anything about the icy tileset for Grasstown until now, so Dunc2403 was first with that. However, the 10 questions were first answered by you, so you win there. I'm not choosing sides or anything, but if this evolves into a full-scale war (metaphorically), I'm just going to say: I can end that war really quick if need be, or maybe an admin or moderator could step in before I get the chance to stop the war. I know how I'll end that war easily. I won't say how, but I will.

No offense, of course.

EDIT:
I spend way too much time here. I keep ending up on the Top 20 posters for today. But I have to go on these forums to see if there are any suggestions about the difficulty of this mod, for example, or maybe glitches in Time Warp. A boss with 9600 HP was to make the game harder, especially if her machine gun's bullets do 24 damage and the most HP at that point would be 40 (30 if the two Capsules in the Sand Zone aren't taken).

SECOND EDIT:
Okay, some questions that anyone playing this mod could answer, which will aid me in making this mod. This will be fifteen questions, thus I'll have to place them in spoilers to save space. Quote the entire spoiler part and underline the answer. That will make it easier for me to see what the answer is. Or you could simply do something like:
ANSWERS:
1. ___
2. ___ etc
This is important for the mod! Yes, the questions are the same as on a previous post, but I've added more.
QUESTIONS:
7. Should I try to allow Shane to teleport? My next Time Warp version will have something like that, if people want me to add teleportation here. If all glitches are found in Time Warp. It will be the final version, maybe.
9. Should the :chin: have high HP and drop loads of XP? If so, I will place him somewhere where he's safe from non-flyers! It is possible, I placed a boss in this mod with 9600 HP and I can make him drop 12.5 XP (whatever it is).
10. Should I place four more Golden Capsules? One will appear in version 0.3 and they require that certain things are triggered... Should :balrog: receive a fourth boss fight? If so, somebody who has experience with modding should help me with this. This one is the shooting one, and I'd like to place him after the first :balrog: boss fight. Balrog received one glitched battle, but it's funny.
11. Should I place the Beast Fang in this mod? If so, I will connect it to a secret area!
12. Should Balrog's projectiles drop 5 XP? If not, then the XP will be lowered to 1XP instead, making the mod harder in that boss fight.
13. Should there be a place that uses Sand Zone's tileset using the Outer Wall's graphics (the Sky Maze)?
14. Should I add multiple TextBox, Bullet, and StageImage files? This allows customizing the graphics by renaming the files!
15. Should I add more enemies?

Mixer8421, six new questions have been added, and one has been removed.

THIRD EDIT:
Version 0.2 has a glitch. The Critters and Bats have 15 HP and the Critters deal 5 damage. How I managed to get past them when testing, I have no idea.

FOURTH EDIT:
What idiot counts the amount of times (s)he edits stuff? Anyway, I think that attacking the Critters fast and going back before they can hit you is a good idea. The Level 1 Sword deals 5 damage, so three hits of that sword and the monster dies there. The Door has 100 HP, I think. Either this version or the future ones.

FIFTH EDIT:
I think my new avatar could be my portrait... but that'd be idiotic, I guess. Just to warn anyone who wants to know the progress of this mod, I may decide to go crazy and make the Curly-replacement boss fight tougher. Already does Kim have 9600 HP. But if I double that... then it would be a high 19200 HP, thus making this boss fight really long. I really ought to think carefully about this.

SIXTH EDIT:
I forgot about this, so I'll ask. In the fifteen questions, the tenth one says something of a Golden Capsule in a secret area and that it's in version 0.3. Any suggestions on where I could place the entrance?

SEVENTH EDIT:
Ohey, did you say you want an icy tileset for Grasstown? I'm pretty good at stuff like that, and could probably help you. (But only if you say a dark wizard by the name 2403 made it winter there.)
Hey Dunc I was first!!! I have an icy tileset too!!!
How about I use both of your tilesets? Dunc2403, if that means you want to be in this mod, by all means, you may, if you at least tell me in which location of the game.

EIGHTH EDIT:
I've changed Possessed Kim's HP to 19200. Yes, it's way longer (double 9600) but if the version is downloadable (hopefully before the 10th of March) then I'll place screenshots with it, since nobody seems to download those that are on the later pages. Either that or they hate PowerPoint files (since that's the best I can do). This allows for a useful challenge, but I won't mention anything about it until then. This mod will be tough, but making it this tough and changing the story completely? Not what I planned... but at least it's better. Then I like this mod more, so that I can continue working on it (as I said somewhere on these forums, I like hard games, and this mod qualifies as "hard").
Oh, and I'm working on a second secret area. Any suggestions on where I could place the entrances for the first and second secret areas? And yes, my sixth edit asks about the first.

Mar 13, 2012 at 10:43 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Shane has a new version of his mod for you all and he would appreciate it very much if you would play.

Mar 13, 2012 at 6:28 PM
Updating from beyond the banhammer. That's new. It shows real determination. Or the inability to take a hint, impossible to tell which.

Mar 13, 2012 at 11:57 PM
Professional Whatever
That is something widely known as sarcasm.

Mar 14, 2012 at 12:55 AM
Without using an alt, I mean. That's evading the ban, not working around it.

Mar 14, 2012 at 12:57 AM
Professional Whatever
Ah yes, I forgot they were the same person for a moment.

I guess it wasn't sarcasm :/

Mar 15, 2012 at 2:44 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
shawn said:
http://www.mediafire.com/?a91ugqrvqvqjbmm
The Sky Maze - Law area is incomplete, that there are very few changes to the mod after the Plantation area, that the Ice Ball weapon has to be at maximum level to be able to beat a Sand Zone boss very fast, that the second teleporter in Icytown is two-way (although it's still named Grasstown) and that there are glitches that I will fix in the next version but just probably forgot about?

Mar 20, 2012 at 10:41 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I can help you with your mod (I love this kind of stuff!)
I'm good with sprite editing.
P.S.: I am close to Dunc2403.