Z button won't work!

Jul 19, 2011 at 7:23 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I am trying to start a new game but it isn't working i tried everything unchecking the use gamepad in DoConfig, pressed every single freaking button on the laptop, redownloading the application! Everything! Please help!

Jul 19, 2011 at 7:32 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Kick Ass said:
So you can usually press z. Hmm...You definitely have z selected in config for the right setting?

If not look here:
http://www.cavestory.org/troubleshooting.php#bug5

That is exactly where i looked so I stopped smacking the Enter button and started smacking the Z button. Well apparently i can't open Config since it doesn't know the right program to use to open Config, any suggestions?

Jul 19, 2011 at 7:36 PM
CUSTOMIZED!
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
That probably means that Cave Story hasn't been installed properly. You extracted the file? All of the contents are in there? I'm really not an expert at this.... I know you have already re-installed but try one more time and use the tribute site :p

Jul 19, 2011 at 7:37 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Kick Ass said:
That probably means that Cave Story hasn't been installed properly. You extracted the file? All of the contents are in there? I'm really not an expert at this.... I know you have already re-installed but try one more time and use the tribute site :p

Yes i have downloaded Cave Story from the tribute site and yes i have extracted the files.

I just reinstalled Cave Story from the tribute site and started extracting the files.

Jul 19, 2011 at 7:40 PM
CUSTOMIZED!
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Ok. Well doconfig would work if installed correctly....this is about the limit of my technical expertise. I'm sorry I couldn't of been more help. Someone here should be able to sort you out! :p

Jul 19, 2011 at 7:40 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Make sure the .exe part of doconfig.exe is there. If it is, and it still won't open, then... maybe you're using a Mac?

Jul 19, 2011 at 7:45 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Captain Fabulous said:
Make sure the .exe part of doconfig.exe is there. If it is, and it still won't open, then... maybe you're using a Mac?

DoConfig works perfectly but the .exe part isn't there. Yes I am using a Mac but I have the whole deal on a parallel desktop, a Windows XP one.

P.S. I am currently re-extracting the new downloaded Cave Story tribute site files

The extracted files just finished and i tried starting a new game without the English translation done yet and it still doesn't work! I unchecked the use gamepad button and that didn't wotk. I'm starting to think that its because I am using a Windows XP parallel desktop on my Mac.

Jul 19, 2011 at 8:20 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
S.C.A.R. said:
The extracted files just finished and i tried starting a new game without the English translation done yet and it still doesn't work! I unchecked the use gamepad button and that didn't wotk. I'm starting to think that its because I am using a Windows XP parallel desktop on my Mac.

You're being kind of confusing. Are you trying to play Cave Story directly on the Mac or on the Windows XP? If you're actually doing everything on the XP, then how are you running the DoConfig without the .exe extension? Run one OS at a time and try that? I had this problem in Linux* where the controls failed until I ran the Linux DoConfig and unchecked use gamepad.

*I am a Windows user who also has a Linux machine.

If you are indeed absolutely sure that DoConfig works and that your "use gamepad" option is not checked, then also make sure that "Z = jump, X = attack" and that "Jump Button = OK" is selected.

If it still doesn't work, and you have a second computer that you could possibly use, then try it on that and see if it works. Doing so might better point out the source of the problem.

And as always, give as much information as possible, even if you think it's irrelevant, in order to get your problem solved faster.