Your First Cave Story Run-Through

May 22, 2009 at 2:47 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Which items did you get, what were your first impressions of stuff, and what did you think Balrog was?
Personally, I got the Machine Gun, since it was offered to me. Why would I decline it? I didn't find the Bubbler and I also didn't find the Tow Rope, since I just went over and talked to Curly. The obvious thing to do. Same with Professor Booster, I jumped down to see what the heck was going on. I never knew Mr. Little was in the Graveyard, and I didn't find Curly's panties.
Speaking of Curly, it was pretty obvious you were going to ally with her from the first time you see her.
My first impression of Balrog was a metal lunchbox, although I like the toaster idea more.

May 22, 2009 at 2:51 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
T.T

I pretty much cried when Curly died T.T;
But then I became hell unleashed on the Doctor >=D

And I've got pretty much the same impression of Balrog as I do now:
Balrog.

Kazuma kinda struck me as really odd, too....

I also did the Toroko Enraged fight several times over, in attempts of averting it. {Same with the Core for Curly...}

And I never laid a hand on Sue and Misery during the Undead Core fight, for fear of furthering adding to the death list....

May 22, 2009 at 2:53 AM
Okay, but I want to know how much of the game people completed. Me, I did everything linearly and therefore did not get any of the cool stuff.

May 22, 2009 at 2:55 AM
No it hasn't you're wrong go away.

May 23, 2009 at 3:59 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
VoidMage_Lowell said:
I pretty much cried when Curly died T.T;
But then I became hell unleashed on the Doctor >=D

And I've got pretty much the same impression of Balrog as I do now:
Balrog.

Kazuma kinda struck me as really odd, too....

I also did the Toroko Enraged fight several times over, in attempts of averting it. {Same with the Core for Curly...}

And I never laid a hand on Sue and Misery during the Undead Core fight, for fear of furthering adding to the death list....

Yeah I didn't kill sue or misery either, I was afraid that would be permanent! :o

I found the toe rope because a friend of mine told me most of the secrets before I played...but I left Curly in the cabin in the Waterway!
I drained her and it told me it would take a while....and I left T_T

Also when Kazuma asked if I wanted to leave on the sky dragon, I immediately said hell no i have to go back and get Curly, not even knowing that saying yes = very very bad end.

tl;dr I played the game immediately again to get the good end so Curly and Quote could be together...

May 23, 2009 at 5:21 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
This looks like it's gonna pattern...

PeaceDove said:
Yeah I didn't kill sue or misery either, I was afraid that would be permanent! :o

I found the toe rope because a friend of mine told me most of the secrets before I played...but I left Curly in the cabin in the Waterway!
I drained her and it told me it would take a while....and I left T_T

Also when Kazuma asked if I wanted to leave on the sky dragon, I immediately said hell no i have to go back and get Curly, not even knowing that saying yes = very very bad end.

tl;dr I played the game immediately again to get the good end so Curly and Quote could be together...
Actually, I still haven't killed Misery or Sue in the Undead Core battle, through any of my other runthroughs, XD

And I couldn't bring myself to leave Curly behind at the Waterway Cabin, but I kinda freaked out after the Iron Head fight, O.o;

And that's exactly what I did to Kazuma, too :o

Sfter beating Cave Story once,though, I replied it as many times as I had to to save Curly....

May 23, 2009 at 7:23 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I always tried to see everything before talking to people out of past experience with open-ended games, so I did attach Curly to the tow rope. However, I completely missed the alcove with the door somehow, so I thought she would die no matter what. I refused the Machine Gun because I kinda knew somehow I'd team with Curly on seeing her, so I ended up getting the Snake.

May 24, 2009 at 12:25 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
You know I kinda saved Curly in all of my run throughs, so I never had to experience her dying, but that would have made me really damn sad :D

Also I could not have beat the game the first time without the machine gun! It made things so easy

May 24, 2009 at 9:24 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I played the entire game once, then got really pissed when I found out that I wouldn't be able to save Curly from dying (didn't get Tow Rope). And also the fact that Pixel rubbed it in by showing the place where she died when "breakdown.org" was playing. ._.

Played it again, got best ending, finished Cave Story (for the second time) and Hell in one day. :D

May 24, 2009 at 8:26 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I got the machine gun since I could, and I missed the bubbler since I had no idea it existed. I got the booster 0.8 and missed the tow rope. When I got to Kazuma, since I had saved right before talking to him, I said yes just to see what happened. And then I headed to the plantation. And then things went on normally.

May 24, 2009 at 8:53 PM
That's what happened with me. I figured it was a fairly linear game.

May 24, 2009 at 9:28 PM
Captain Fabulous said:
That's what happened with me. I figured it was a fairly linear game.

Well it is still a linear game, but yes, not in the sense that everything that happens is set in stone.

Jun 5, 2009 at 8:08 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Captain Fabulous said:
Personally, I got the Machine Gun, since it was offered to me. Why would I decline it? I didn't find the Bubbler and I also didn't find the Tow Rope, since I just went over and talked to Curly. The obvious thing to do. Same with Professor Booster, I jumped down to see what the heck was going on. I never knew Mr. Little was in the Graveyard, and I didn't find Curly's panties.
Speaking of Curly, it was pretty obvious you were going to ally with her from the first time you see her.
My first impression of Balrog was a metal lunchbox, although I like the toaster idea more.
That is exactly what I did. Cut out the obvious part with Curly. I thought we would fight again and again, just like Balrog.

Jun 7, 2009 at 9:18 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Didn't get the bubbler since i didn't know about it. got the machine gun.
got the first booster upgrade. Curly died, i played a bit further before i read that you could save her,
started the game anew, got to hell, got pissed and didn't play for years.
picked it back up today intending to finish it, is currently at the sand-zone.

Jun 8, 2009 at 2:13 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
You didn't play it for years? O_O
I played it to that part, got SO SICK of those stupid jumps! (I hate you second room)
Then, two days later, I played Hell again. Got a little better! But Ballos killed me. That was where I almost threw the controller on the floor, but didn't.
I stop playing it again for 5 days. Then went to watch some videos of other people beating it, saying "They make it look easy!" so I took another shot at it. Died at the last form of Ballos. I then found out the trick with the missiles. But I had a hard time defeating him. MAYBE because I hate using (wasting) missiles. Once I FINALLY killed him, I was so happy! Saw the ending, then started a new game. Over and over again. Again and again... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 times I beat it! Well, I think 16 if you count beating it as beating Hell/Last Bosses. Cause I replayed Hell quite a bit and beat it. So if that counts as beating it, then more than 16 times did I beat it. But 7 times counting as beating the game, start to finish. :D :D

Jun 8, 2009 at 2:48 AM
ya know, I actually got the bubblee on my first try, maybe I'm just better at playing games then you guys.

Jun 13, 2009 at 3:17 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Well it is still a linear game, but yes, not in the sense that everything that happens is set in stone.
After my first run-trough, I tought that the Yesses and Nos on every occasion affected all the twists and turns in the game, so I had some kind of impression that Curly would have survived if I hadn't fought Balrog the first time, hadn't gotten the Machine Gun et cetera. But well, thanks to gamefaqs I learned about the Tow Rope. I find a hidden item to be a pretty cheap way of changing the history, so I'll go for unforseen consequences in my game.

(Upgraded Gun Princess to a new version today, BTW)

Jun 13, 2009 at 7:47 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Well the first time I played I got the Bubbler, Machine Gun and Blade but I went down to see proffesor booster when he fell cause I assumed that was what was intended for you to do.
While playing I always thought of it to rather happy but as soon as curly drowns after fighting the core the game suddenly became quite dark and sad.

When I got the the outer wall I escaped with kazuma, again thinking that it was the point of going to the egg corridor again. I assumed that I couldn't get a good ending cause I had gotten the bad ending already so I decided to start again.

I thought for some reason that to save curly, you couldn't get the machine gun from her so she died again. So once again I tried again but this time I had to look it up cause I had no idea how to save her. So I found that you needed to avoid booster to save curly which I thought was wierd so I went with it. I got the two rope and stopped in the cabin and I took a rest. So then i thought CRAP i can't save her anymore! So I went on anyway but I still got the booster 2.0. This third time I tried I got the spur and actually tried to get to the end.
So then I got the normal ending and tried once again but used a guide so I could get to hell.