Would you buy a handheld/keychain version of Cave Story?

Sep 11, 2011 at 4:18 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Cave Story is my favorite game, but I don't own a DSi/PSP/GP2x. I've always wanted a keychain version of it so I could take it wherever I went.

Would you buy this? How much would you pay?

Sep 11, 2011 at 4:24 PM
inside is yello
"..."
One Dsiware version $10.
One Wii port of it $12
One PSP port, priceless. (Literally, you can download it here for free.)

Sep 11, 2011 at 4:37 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Shimmyzmizz said:
One Dsiware version $10.
One Wii port of it $12
One PSP port, priceless. (Literally, you can download it here for free.)

tenslence said:
I don't own a DSi/PSP/GP2x.

What tenslence is saying is that he can't buy any of those, exept maybe the wii version, and a wii is not portable. So he wants another port. I am sure this has been brought up before, but would a iphone have the processing power to run cave story? I don't know. Currently, there is no app, but maybe that could be fixed. Maybe.

Sep 11, 2011 at 4:38 PM
inside is yello
"..."
Yes, it has. Many times.

Unfortunately I don't remember the answer.

Sep 11, 2011 at 4:47 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Since there isn't one, I would assume no. And if it can't be played on an Iphone, a keychain version is unlikely.

Sep 11, 2011 at 5:13 PM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
A handheld? That only plays Cave Story? I would have to pass.

As for the iPhone...

Sep 11, 2011 at 5:17 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I'd say no to an iPhone version, I think.
Funny coming from me, the iPhone fanatic, but I think games like that do not work with touch screen controls.
I much prefer a keyboard, even to a gamepad

Sep 11, 2011 at 5:51 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Keon said:
Since there isn't one, I would assume no. And if it can't be played on an Iphone, a keychain version is unlikely.

From a specifications standpoint, I'm pretty sure it could be ported to the iPhone. Whether Pixel's contract with Nintendo would allow that is another matter.

I've been thinking about a sort of Game & Watch revival- single game, (hopefully) low cost portables. Available at local toy stores, $19.95 or less...

Would that appeal to anybody? What would the sweet spot in terms of price be?

Personally, I'd pick one up for $9.95 without thinking.

Sep 11, 2011 at 5:57 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
I would probably pay $10 for the computer version over $9.95 for a cheap console to play it.
It would have to be lower quality than a GBA, or they would charge way more for it, and at that point, you might as well just go get a GBA.
Digital media is more reliable than mass produced, low cost hardware, I think.

Sep 11, 2011 at 6:00 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
This idea is extremely silly
You pretty much need all the features of a general purpose computing device or dedicated gaming platform (ds, psp, etc) to run Cave Story in its full capacity, and it's getting to the point where it is available on most mobile game platforms. You could play something like the TI-83 version but I'd hardly call that cave story.

Making a dedicated device for CS would be a great way to waste tons of money and time.

Sep 11, 2011 at 6:27 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Noxid said:
This idea is extremely silly
You pretty much need all the features of a general purpose computing device or dedicated gaming platform (ds, psp, etc) to run Cave Story in its full capacity, and it's getting to the point where it is available on most mobile game platforms. You could play something like the TI-83 version but I'd hardly call that cave story.

Making a dedicated device for CS would be a great way to waste tons of money and time.

Of course it's silly and probably a large time investment- but it would be a fun project. Plus, it could expand the reach of Cave Story...

However, if nobody at all is interested, I'd probably not do it. Thanks for all your feedback so far!

Sep 11, 2011 at 6:33 PM
Been here way too long...
Haha a TI-83 cavestory would make me so happy.

Sep 11, 2011 at 7:06 PM
my life...
it's complete
:p

Sep 11, 2011 at 7:07 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Heh I Tried finding a TI-83 emulator to actually test this thing but you need a ROM Dump :p

Sep 11, 2011 at 9:09 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Noxid said:

Somebody should rewrite this port in pure z80 assembly so it doesn't run hellishly slow. (Interpreted BASIC on calculators... for full 2d games? Seriously?)

JetHawk95 said:
Heh I Tried finding a TI-83 emulator to actually test this thing but you need a ROM Dump :(

Can't you just load it onto your real calculator using those link cables? Or do you not have a TI-grapher at the moment?

------

To answer the question posed in the title of this thread, I would almost certainly not buy a standalone-handheld version of Cave Story if it existed. It's not a question of whether it now exists; it's just a question of, "If it existed, would you buy it?".

I would still say no because a copy of Cave Story on a flash drive is good enough for me, provided that I could find a public computer while I'm traveling, which isn't really that hard.

Sep 11, 2011 at 9:22 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Carrotlord said:
To answer the question posed in the title of this thread, I would almost certainly not buy a standalone-handheld version of Cave Story if it existed. It's not a question of whether it now exists; it's just a question of, "If it existed, would you buy it?".

I would still say no because a copy of Cave Story on a flash drive is good enough for me, provided that I could find a public computer while I'm traveling, which isn't really that hard.

Most people won't be carrying around a flash drive with Cave Story on it. I'm getting the feeling that this community won't be a good gauge of interest, since I'm sure we've all done multiple play-throughs on several different platforms...

Short of just building it and handing it to kids to see their interest level, I can't figure out how to gauge the interest of the general public.

Sep 11, 2011 at 9:34 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I dont need a TI Calculator for my career of choice. Just wanted to test the game out and experience it :(

Sep 11, 2011 at 9:54 PM
Everyone needs a TI calculator if their career of choice is happiness!