Working on a Mod - Help Needed!

May 12, 2009 at 12:33 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Hush thy mouth

Zephryl said:
lol fair enough xD Might release a demo after I get this boss done. Depends on how much work I'll have to put into the next area... a lot of my time is being taken up by trying to get this stupid thing with flags to work X_X Stupid flags. Evil things.
Shush, flags, as annoying as they are, are incredibly important!
Just remember to keep track of what's been used or not....
*Shudders*

May 12, 2009 at 12:33 AM
Assistance
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Blarghaharga...
I have been working on my mod from 10 am to 3 am yesterday.
Can't wait to play your new version. :p

May 12, 2009 at 12:52 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Yeah flags seem to be useful. I've only used them for one thing though... What I currently want to do with them it's refusing to do >.<

Glad you look forward to it <3 Even though it's only a tiny tiny update lol.

May 12, 2009 at 6:12 AM
This latest update(V0.3) brings a few new areas to the game, as well as a brand new boss. What I really need to know is if the boss is too hard, and suggestions of which music would suit that boss best. Please give feedback~!

Link is in the first page <3

I was going to do the next area as well before releasing this but I really need feedback on the boss.

May 12, 2009 at 11:42 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The edit button is your friend.

I didn't play v2.0, so don't mind me if I go over old stuff.

-Nothing near the start seems to have changed much, except that the code has been cleaned up a bit and the Night Spirit now has the shiny behind it.
-I should have been more specific when I said "all the doors work"; the <TRA functions work properly, but some of them (like in the Sand Zone Residence) don't open when you use them. I'm not sure the animation with the Demon Crown is working right yet either.
-Hahahaha, nice moment with King there :(
-After getting the item from Kanpachi, the music doesn't restore, and then if you die and respawn in the reservoir the 'got item' music plays.
-Er, this might be a dumb question, but did you check to see if that jump in the Old Passage to reach the top of the lava hole is even possible? >_>
*Hax tiem*
Even then, that's a lot of nasty jumps in a row, and if you miss on the ones leading up to the room when you get back outside you have to go through the lava room AGAIN :( The music also sounds kinda out-of-place, especially for what is ultimately such a short area.
-The gunsmith could keep his workshop a bit cleaner and less deadly... I like this area though, it's reasonably challenging without being nasty like that last one was. Onwards!
-The doors in Mimiga Village don't open either.
-Those don't look like snakes... and I don't know how long you want this mod to be, but THAT music also seems a kinda out of place. The little croc-thingies will also jump out of the ceiling long before you reach them; if you want them to do it only when you get close then you'll need to spawn them into place with h- or v-triggers.
-If this is the boss you were meaning to test, then yes, he is most certainly too hard; mostly because he's impossible to damage :/ There's no music either.

The level design so far continues to be nice and tight, and I like the little tricks you add in to make parts trickier, but some parts of this feel like you haven't really tested them properly. I like a good challenge, but stuff like the Old Passage - even if it IS possible - would be better served further down the line, if at all. Ultimately, if a mod has a story, people will want to feel like they can progress, and if it's going to be hard overall then it's a good idea to make that clear at some point. Making areas challenging without relying on too many spikes is also greatly appreciated, mostly because they're already used a lot in many other mods. Anyway, despite a few difficulties, this mod seems to be progressing nicely. Maybe someday you'll even come up with a name for it :(

EDIT: Nah it's cool, I figured it out. Oh, and for the jump I meant, see the attached pic. The one across the lava is possible... by about 1 pixel <_<

Attachments

• No go.PNG
    No go.PNG
    7.4 KB · Views: 36
May 12, 2009 at 12:38 PM
Yeah the doors not opening is a classic example of my 'learning as I go'. I'll add the Mimiga and Sand Zone ones to my 'To do' list. And yeah the cutscene isn't working properly. I have no idea -why- but the <BMP command isn't doing what it's meant to.

The 'Beach' problems will be fixed as well. I didn't put an RMU command and I don't think the beach actually is meant to have music yet. And I have to remove that Save Point. Was there for when I was testing some flags.

That was my bad. I managed to do it the very first time I tried, but I was wearing the booster so I might've accidently boosted, I didn't double check. I'll add a block to the middle of it.

Yeah I don't know a lot of the music so I just guessed some numbers until I came across something not horrible. I really need help revising the music so if you have any suggestions let me know.

I like to think of the stuff in the Workshop as experiments he's been working on xP

Yeah I know, I wanted a snake reference though and those were the best I had xD I might change it to 'Reptiles' since they're basically croc-heads. And that would still be a Snake reference, less direct, but still there.

Haha, the boss fight is most definetley possible. I've tested it many times and I've had a couple other people test it as well. It's one of those ones where you have to think a little bit outside of the box. If you really wanna know how then PM me. I might have to add a hint in somewhere >.<

Yeah I'm aiming for a pretty general difficulty that anyone who's beaten the original can do, and a few optional bits that are harder.

Yeah the name is a lot harder to come up with than I thought it'd be xD

Edit:
Yeah ok, I see whatcha mean. The first one is a bit tricky since when you -do- make the jump succesfully you actually pass through the spikes a little >.< The second one, if I remmember right, you can just walk off the floating block and be next to the lava. I'll still add a block to the middle of the lava, or something like that anyway.

Progress has been halted for a bit anyway. My Harddrive died X_X I'm using my mum's computer at the moment, but I can't do any Cavestory work on it. It'll be a few days to a week until I get a new harddrive.