Wise fwom your gwave...

Jan 1, 2008 at 2:14 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
*groans*

Hello everyone, after a long hiatus (over a year I believe) I've come back to give Cave Story another crack at modding. I've noticed that there has been some serious progression with the utilities a person can use, but I'm running into some hitches sadly.

Sue's Workshop does not seem to open the Doukutsu file properly, it opens it, but can not recognize any of the maps, infact after using Sue's Workshop on the file it becomes unrecognizable by Windows.

Miza's editor seems okay, but I can't edit any of the settings of the turfs without it crashing, which I need for this particular mod in mind.

The Cave Story Editor seems to have a few decent functions, but has a few issues. I can't rename the game without it crashing, it doesn't save the remove (C)Pixel requirement, and some settings generally do not save at all.

Can anyone help me with these issues? Thanks, Neonlare.

Jan 1, 2008 at 2:29 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Are you trying to use the newest version of Sue's Workshop? Because SP re-coded that so that it works with BMP's rather than PBM's for easier editing. You'll need to use the older version for PBM's, or else convert them to BMP's. Can't help with the rest much.

Jan 1, 2008 at 2:33 AM
DoubleThink said:
Are you trying to use the newest version of Sue's Workshop? Because SP re-coded that so that it works with BMP's rather than PBM's for easier editing. You'll need to use the older version for PBM's, or else convert them to BMP's. Can't help with the rest much.

Ah, that might be an issue. Where can I find the newest version of Sue's Workshop?

Actually, it seems that Sue's Workshop just completely corrupts the exe no matter what I do to it, anyone else having this issue?

Jan 1, 2008 at 6:08 AM
Respwnt
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Neonlare said:
Ah, that might be an issue. Where can I find the newest version of Sue's Workshop?

Actually, it seems that Sue's Workshop just completely corrupts the exe no matter what I do to it, anyone else having this issue?
That'l be me. Except that I suck at modding anyways.

Jan 1, 2008 at 8:59 AM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Did you edit the game with a ResourceHacker? It edits the exe and may corrupt it.

Jan 1, 2008 at 2:29 PM
jcys810 said:
Did you edit the game with a ResourceHacker? It edits the exe and may corrupt it.

I edited it with the Cave Story Editor, the thing is a little buggy, but seems to work. Perhaps I've corrupted it by doing that? No, it couldn't have, the backups I used also had the same issue. Mmm...

Jan 2, 2008 at 5:05 AM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Sue's workshop only f's up if you replace the (C)Pixel string in the exe with anything else. HP, weapon, and exp hacks don't affect it. .pbms without the extension still load in Sue's, just not in cavestory itself.