Why I'm fighting to keep message boards alive, and you should too

May 28, 2022 at 10:11 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I would not have guessed that English is a second language for you, you seem very fluent.
Oh yeah, I think I mentionned it in a thread waayy back in the first experience with Cave Story thread (something along those lines) that I played the game in french originally. (By the way, the french translation takes a lot of liberties, is it for the best? No.)

Apr 17, 2023 at 7:35 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I get it dude, Forum boards will forever have a special place in my heart. It was like viewing another world from a glass window. I had always loved them since I found out about their existence back in 2016. Even though I was too young to ever experience and know how these worked back during their peak. I still remember going onto something awful and game faqs and seeing the different communities formed and how they were tightly knit together and how the members would be talking to each other as if they were lifelong friends. The guides, fanart and whatever else they posted was beautiful in a sense. But it hit me so hard in the gut to see these communities died years before I ever viewed them or that only the most dedicated decided to stay and keep them up. I sometimes will shed a tear when viewing them because its that sad to me to see these communities fall out of relevance.
And the things that replaced them, are just worse in every way, that freedom of expression and being able to show others is just gone. Reddit, if you don't talk about the game or show fanart, you will be ignored. I have seen people in forums make whole guides for people who need help, people who will take on ridiculous challenges (like the person who wanted to get to level 99 in the first area of Final Fantasy) and they account what was happening or what they were doing, or seeing people make LET'S PLAYS and review them on forum boards. You would never see this type of content on reddit. While on Twatter, if you aren't talking about what is popular or trending on twitter, forget about people caring about you, the mob will drown you out. And discord is just twitter again, don't talk about what most people are currently talking about in that channel. You'll be drowned out once again. Another thing they all share is that, if you aren't very closely integrated into the community and do something to it everyday, no one will remember you. While forum boards, you could be gone for months, and because of how dedicated some members are. They will remember you and you talk to each other like you had not left at all. Forums are so closely knitted that almost everyone here is or will be remembered by someone.
Ironically even though the Y2K internet was fractured, it created the most tightly Knit communities. And ever since they internet started to synchronize together, it ironically made the communities more fragile and only survived off of trends.Which you would think would cause the communities to grow bigger.
I don't only wish to fight for message boards, I wish to fight for the old internet to come back in a resurgence. Because it was the old internet that gave life to these forum boards and in turn, the forum boards gave life to the old internet. Although only a fool could dream of such an event
It sucked that I was born too late to experience the old internet and understand it. Although I could view it from my glass window. But don't take my word for everything, I am a fool who didn't get experience an event and is making an input into a time he doesn't understand.I hope you enjoyed my incoherent ramblings at least.

Apr 17, 2023 at 8:40 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
If this place went back to being called Miraigamer, we may only see some slightly more activity... Because Cave Story is too niche of a game nowadays. xd

Apr 19, 2023 at 7:29 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Its sad to know that trends could kill off entire communities as the game becomes niche

Apr 20, 2023 at 5:11 PM
Mrs. Policewoman
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
This is definitely the type of internet I want to see flourish again in the future.
Hopefully it catches on, and things like it and the small internet move us away from the heavily centralized current state.

In some ways, though, it feels like it was inevitable. Our society (society!) is heavily centralized and encourages those kinds of social spaces in person, and the fundamental architecture of the internet is also extremely centralized.
I have some ideas to maybe try and fix some of that at some point, but who knows how far those'll actually go. Hopefully, if I don't get there, someone else does.

Apr 24, 2023 at 1:31 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
The style of the forum is a little bit before my time (I was about 10 when i made a GameFAQs account, which was my first basic forum experience), but the forum is superior to essentially every form of social media. It allows for full, explanative posts, along with a much more close-knit community, since everyone on a forum knows and has seen one another's threads. That's another thing, threads are just the perfect format of posting. You can keep all of your content, updates, and comments in one neat area. I miss an internet where people knew each other in their communities, where you could actually get to know one another and see much more descriptive topics and posts.

I pray, that one day, we can restore the forum to its forum-er glory.

Apr 24, 2023 at 4:58 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
It allows for full, explanative posts, along with a much more close-knit community, since everyone on a forum knows and has seen one another's threads. That's another thing, threads are just the perfect format of posting. You can keep all of your content, updates, and comments in one neat area. I miss an internet where people knew each other in their communities, where you could actually get to know one another and see much more descriptive topics and posts
Yeah, I think forum boards are the only area where you can make whole let's play that could last for months and never need to make a new thread because your old slowly got drowned out.