Who or What woke Quote up?

Jun 7, 2009 at 5:49 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Of course there's no answer to this question but I'm gonna ask it anyway,
just in case i missed something (which i do a lot).

Jun 7, 2009 at 6:45 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
We've discussed this before, but it's probably buried deep by now.
It was the frequency of Kazuma's transmission that caught Quote's attention somehow, which is why he can receive all of Kazuma's transmissions. We don't know why it woke him up, but it's our best theory so far.

Jun 7, 2009 at 10:21 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Heheheh

Well, there's also the thought that Ballos' magic had something to do with it....
He wanted Quote to kill him, so he could have set everything in motion, too...

Jun 8, 2009 at 7:47 AM
The Town Bicycle *cough*
"Keep on rollin'!"
You have the same theory that I do but I called it "Ballos's master plan".
Remember?

Jun 9, 2009 at 11:00 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
There's no proof Quote heard the transmission, right? We only know that the player can see it. The player can also see things from Sue's and Kazumas perspectives (and King and Toroko's as well) during cutscenes, but there's no proof Quote can.

Jun 9, 2009 at 12:49 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
What do you mean what woke him up?
Duh.
It was the sense of adventure that woke him up.
The bats screaming, the critters jumping, the awesome music...
Plus he is in a cave.
He was sent to the island along with Curly to kill the mimiga's. But then he was done with that mission. So he went to sleep. Woke up, had some tea, ate some food, and sent out on the adventure that awaits him!
That is why. Prove me wrong.

Jun 9, 2009 at 3:38 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Plow said:
What do you mean what woke him up?
Duh.
It was the sense of adventure that woke him up.
The bats screaming, the critters jumping, the awesome music...
Plus he is in a cave.
He was sent to the island along with Curly to kill the mimiga's. But then he was done with that mission. So he went to sleep. Woke up, had some tea, ate some food, and sent out on the adventure that awaits him!
That is why. Prove me wrong.
With pleasure. From a certain Curly Brace's speech:
"Back then, a huge number of robots were sent to this island from countries on the Earth's surface. Their target was the awesome power kept within this island... The *Demon Crown*. But you and I, we were different. The two of us were sent in order to destroy that power."
This proves the basic premise of your argument wrong. And regarding that your "sense of adventure": Quote cannot hear the BGM, it plays behind the fourth wall; bats were there all the time, "screaming", as you say; and critters jump only if Quote gets near them.
There. Happy now?

Jun 10, 2009 at 6:58 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Yal said:
There's no proof Quote heard the transmission, right? We only know that the player can see it. The player can also see things from Sue's and Kazumas perspectives (and King and Toroko's as well) during cutscenes, but there's no proof Quote can.
Ever notice those green antenna thingies that Quote has? It is hardly a coincidence that Quote woke up around the time of the "transmission". Note the wording used. "From somewhere a transmission.." gives off the impression that you are receiving a transmission. The cutscene of Kazuma typing out the message is similar to how movies play a cutscene of the letter writer while someone is reading a letter.

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:37 PM
The point I tried to make in my last post... wait. *reads andwhyisit's post a few times*
OK, you defy my arguments.

BTW, there's no proof Quote can't hear the BGM, he (and the other characters) just never comments on it (he does so in the Tale of the Cave comic once, though). And I think it would ruin the feeling in some of the moments if the characters broke the wall between them and the player as well, so it's good in that way.

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:08 PM
This Troper
Yal said:
The point I tried to make in my last post... wait. *reads andwhyisit's post a few times*
OK, you defy my arguments.

BTW, there's no proof Quote can't hear the BGM, he (and the other characters) just never comments on it (he does so in the Tale of the Cave comic once, though). And I think it would ruin the feeling in some of the moments if the characters broke the wall between them and the player as well, so it's good in that way.
I love the way you contradict yourself in one post. If Quote can hear the BGM, it obviously plays behind the fourth wall, therefore it wouldn't be breaking the fourth wall if he commented on it.
But let's assume that Quote actually can hear the music. Where does it come from? Is Quote the only one who can hear it? Why? And if not, how is it that noone ever went nuts from the neverending music that slowly drills its way into their consciousness until it saps away every last- ahem, nevermind. You know what I mean

Jun 13, 2009 at 3:26 AM
You know, Quote's earphones. He obviously have an MP3 player, that adapts to the environment and chooses a fitting music piece to play. In loop mode, for some reason.

I love the way you contradict yourself in one post.
I'm liking it too. Well, I think while I type (as opposed to in beforehand), so I can change my opinion mean-post without noticing.

Jun 14, 2009 at 3:47 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Heh....

T-Jack said:
And if not, how is it that noone ever went nuts from the neverending music that slowly drills its way into their consciousness until it saps away every last- ahem, nevermind. You know what I mean
Oh, what?
You thought the characters of Cave Story were sane?
:)

Jun 14, 2009 at 12:05 PM
This Troper
VoidMage_Lowell said:
Oh, what?
You thought the characters of Cave Story were sane?
:D
Well, I hoped so.

Jun 26, 2009 at 9:59 AM
The Town Bicycle *cough*
"Keep on rollin'!"
This is just a random guess but...
maybe a fukin microwave woke quote up.

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:10 PM
I'd say he just woke up. No reason at all.

Also, there is no proof that Quote woke up when Kazuma started a "conversation" with Sue.

Jun 26, 2009 at 5:30 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
It could be that with the coming of the Sakamoto research party the sudden bombardment by whatever the Cave Story universe uses instead of radio waves intefered with the damaged part of Quote's electronic brain, the resulting activity broke through the damaged cyber-neuro pathway causing Quote to reboot. For Curly; I just think she landed on her head and woke up from that or it could be that she only got hit by a small amount of the blast that turned them off(perhaps Quote did the manly thing and jumped in the way?) and as a result only lost her memory.

Jun 26, 2009 at 8:35 PM
Kurai said:
It could be that with the coming of the Sakamoto research party the sudden bombardment by whatever the Cave Story universe uses instead of radio waves intefered with the damaged part of Quote's electronic brain, the resulting activity broke through the damaged cyber-neuro pathway causing Quote to reboot. For Curly; I just think she landed on her head and woke up from that or it could be that she only got hit by a small amount of the blast that turned them off(perhaps Quote did the manly thing and jumped in the way?) and as a result only lost her memory.

Um... I only speak english. Not geek.

Jun 26, 2009 at 8:44 PM
Which words are you having trouble with? "Radio"? "Cyber-neuro"? It's not hard to figure out what "cyber-neuro" means, if it's actually a word.
As for your theory, Kurai, it's cool, pretty sci-fi, and way too technical for Cave Story. Pixel was probably thinking along the lines of "The game starts and you get to see some guy sitting at a computer IRCing someone named Sue. Let's do that again. Maybe the robot's picking up on some kind of radio signal?"
But then again, this isn't about what Pixel was thinking, so your theory is one of the best so far.

Jun 27, 2009 at 7:36 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
mariofan1000 said:
Um... I only speak english. Not geek.

GET.
OUT.

Jun 27, 2009 at 7:41 AM
/end
Because he damn well wanted too that's why.